User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires (Second Spare??)

I plan on taking my Imagine to Alaska next summer. People have told me I should consider a second spare tire.
    So, I thought I would post the question to see what other owners have done or plan to do.
    Thanks to all.
    Terry
    2022 Imagine
    2021 Chevy Silverado

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PVISION View Post
    I plan on taking my Imagine to Alaska next summer. People have told me I should consider a second spare tire.
    So, I thought I would post the question to see what other owners have done or plan to do.
    Thanks to all.
    I have not done the Alaska trip but my motto is, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it." Especially if you have any reservations about it. You have also 'said it out loud' so you have to get a second spare. If you had kept in your own head and not told anybody then you would have been good with 1 spare.

If you have the space for it and available weight I would definitely get a second spare. Especially now, since you have said it out loud.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In over six years of full-timing I've only needed to use the spare tire once - but I've never towed to Alaska. If I were heading up there, I would have an extra spare and a tub of other spare parts for both the truck and trailer based on advice from people who have made the trip several times.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, This is why I'm asking
    Terry
    2022 Imagine
    2021 Chevy Silverado

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terry @PVISION - a few folks have posted over the years on planning or have taken the trip from the lower 48 to Alaska. Most have shared your thinking and did carry an extra spare tire for the RV as well as the tow vehicle.

Most have also shared taking spare parts for the RV such as bearings/races; springs; brake assembly; wheel hub; etc.

If you conduct a search on Alaska as a key word, you will see many of these threads sharing these thoughts along with much other great feedback.

That trip is something Carol and I plan to do along with another GDRV owner. I am really looking forward to it......Carol not as much.......she likes the Caribbean !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, I wanted to go last year but could not as Canada closed. This year I have non refundable reservations at a off grid lodge, Rainy Pass plus others like Backcountry Lodge at Denali.
    I have a second spare for the truck. Looking for the second for the travel trailer
    Terry
    2022 Imagine
    2021 Chevy Silverado

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a second mounted spare and I am going to try to mount it under the tongue of my 2600 RB. Not sure if it will fit, but mounting a second spare someplace is a winter project (ok I live in Florida) in prep for a summer trip out west.
    I don't want to take up space in the truck bed.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, I to want to mount one or both under the TT. My dealer sent me this:

BAL makes a tire carrier that attaches to the frame also. The only model you could do is 28218 for units with an underbelly – you would attach to your I-beams – distance between I-beams must be between 70” and 75” looks like you can purchase from High Sky RV parts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire under TT.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	37467
    But it may void warranty so I just asked GD if I could. I have not hear back yet.
    Terry
    2022 Imagine
    2021 Chevy Silverado

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I STRONGLY recommend a second spare and prepare a service kit for your running gear (extra wet bolts, bushings, bearing set, bearing seal, and grease at a minimum but I personally would have a spare spring too). I have traveled by road to Alaska several times and long stretches of roads are in disrepair and coincide with being quite remote from assistance. When you go, I'll bet you a case of your favorite brew that you will come across at least two campers broken down on the route and left while the owners travel to find assistance! The good thing, at least pre-COVID-19, is that the RV subculture norm of helping one another was strong on the route! If planning to travel through night, auxiliary lights on your TV are a strong suggestion and do have a reliable, bright light in case you find yourself changing tires in the pitch black.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PVISION View Post
    Thanks to all.
    When we went to Alaska, he opted to change our Westlakes to Goodyears prior to the trip, but we brought the Westlakes as extra spares (yes - 3 of them). Didn't need them but we had them if we (or anyone else in our group) needed them.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast