Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Purchased used Reese Sidewinder Elite

I decided to move from an autoslider and purchase a Reese Sidewinder. I wanted more room in the bed and a lighter hitch. A new one is extremely expensive so i decided to look on marketplace for a used one. I found one 3 hours from my location. After I got it home, I torn it down and checked all the components. I was concerned about the air bag so i removed it and placed it in the tub, no leaks. It wasn't hard at all to break down and everything looks good. I've attached some pics. Does anyone else have a sidewinder?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reese pic 1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	37978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reese pic 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	37979
    Last edited by Maximus216; 12-02-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Sidewinder, although not the elite. Works great, just make sure you get the proper wedge for the hitch you have. The generic one can be a little loose. When I first hook up, I will pull forward a little to make sure the trailer and truck are straight, and re-check that the wedge is tight.

The several times I have had warranty work done to the trailer, I put the bolts in the pin box to lock it (dealers need that) when I drop it off, and have a red ribbon tied to one of the bolts, like a "remove before flight" on an airplane. Although I don't think I would forget to take the bolts off to unlock it, if I did, it would be ugly on the damage it would cause.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 12-03-2021 at 07:31 AM.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I have a Sidewinder, although not the elite. Works great, just make sure you get the proper wedge for the hitch you have. The generic one can be a little loose. When I first hook up, I will pull forward a little to make sure the trailer and truck are straight, and re-check that the wedge is tight.

The several times I have had warranty work done to the trailer, I put the bolts in the pin box to lock it (dealers need that) when I drop it off, and have a red ribbon tied to one of the bolts, like a "remove before flight" on an airplane. Although I don't think I would forget to take the bolts off to unlock it, if I did, it would be ugly on the damage it would cause.
    I didn't think about the dealers needing to lock it in. Great idea about the red flag to. What hitch are you using? I've been looking at the b&w and the reese m5.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    I didn't think about the dealers needing to lock it in. Great idea about the red flag to. What hitch are you using? I've been looking at the b&w and the reese m5.
    I am using the Reese M5 20K with the RAM legs for the stock pucks. If I did it again, I would go with the B&W, I think it is better quality from looking at mine, and others at campsites.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 12-03-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am using the Reese M5 20K with the RAM legs for the stock pucks. If I did it again, I would go with the B&W, I think it is better quality from looking at mine, and others at campsites.
    Does your sidewinder move easily when not hitched. I just got mine installed and I tighten the 4 bolts to 150 lbs like reese instructed. it doesn't move at all. I guess it will loosen up when I hitch and go.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your sidewinder move easily when not hitched. I just got mine installed and I tighten the 4 bolts to 150 lbs like reese instructed. it doesn't move at all. I guess it will loosen up when I hitch and go.
    The arm on mine swivels without much effort when not hitched up, and I will position it 90* off to get it out of the way.

I have only used the sidewinder for one season, and somewhere in the next couple of months will take it apart, clean/lube.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The arm on mine swivels without much effort when not hitched up, and I will position it 90* off to get it out of the way.

I have only used the sidewinder for one season, and somewhere in the next couple of months will take it apart, clean/lube.
    There is a video on YouTube stating the the bolts are to be torque to 150 which isn't true, they are only suppose to be 45. Now it turns. LOL. Now to find a B&W. A new one is 1100, i've seen them on FB for 700 to 800.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is your wedge making contact with the hitch on both sides? If I hammer the wedge in after hitching and tighten the bolts I can't get it to hitch again. I've had to back off a little and now I have a small gap on one side. I've heard of people having a hard time hitching using wedges.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your wedge making contact with the hitch on both sides? If I hammer the wedge in after hitching and tighten the bolts I can't get it to hitch again. I've had to back off a little and now I have a small gap on one side. I've heard of people having a hard time hitching using wedges.
    I have had the same experience as you. What I do now, is try and get the wedge as tight as I can by hand, pull forward a little to make sure the truck/trailer is straight (after doing a pull test) at a slow speed, and use the manual trailer brake to keep tension and the slack (sloppiness) out of the king pin area while stopping, or I stop on a slight uphill to take out any slack, and see if I can tighten the wedge anymore by hand. I still will usually end up after driving a little with a small gap, it isn't bad, and I have no problem leaving it as is. I know that it is caused by the sloppiness in the wedge screw, and where you put the pin on the thumb adjuster. I usually can't take the thumb adjuster safety pin off because it is tight against the one side (wedge trying to push back), until I disconnect. After all the above, I just leave the adjustment as is, and have no problem hooking/unhooking multiple times, although I will double check on each hookup that the wedge is still tight.

I did try it once with a hammer, but like you mentioned, the king pin would not latch properly on the next hookup, and that of course is not a good thing. Although it worked, and would need to back the wedge on every hookup, then use a hammer again, I am uncomfortable with what the hammering could be doing to the wedge screw threads, even though there is always a bit of "hammering" just going down the road. I am also not sure it is a good thing to have the king pin that tight against the hitch jaw.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I torqued mine to 45 and it still will not turn by hand and is jerky when making turns. I cleaned and lubed it and no change.
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast