User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    If you were thinking the unfused wires were a problem and changed it, you need to change it back. You should put some red tape on them though.
    You are 100% correct!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will leave you with two things to look at...

The first being a short video that explains how an automatic resettable 12-24VDC breaker works...

https://youtu.be/lt4R-G46quc

and the second being this requirement from the Code of Federal Regulations ....

"all brakes with which the trailer is required to be equipped must be applied upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes."

If you watched the video and you understand how long that circuit breaker actually stays open and you'll realize just how far your RV could travel down the highway in a breakaway situation. Even if it did manage to reset it's gonna instantly trip again, repeating the same scenario over and over.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m keeping my circuit protection installed. Others can decide what is best for them.

I checked the DOT regs i.e. Title 49 Part 393 Subpart C 393.43 and there is no requirement to have unfused circuits. The complete paragraph states:

Breakaway braking requirements for trailers. Every trailer required to be equipped with brakes shall have brakes which apply automatically and immediately upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. With the exception of trailers having three or more axles, all brakes with which the trailer is required to be equipped must be applied upon breakaway from the towing vehicle. The brakes must remain in the applied position for at least 15 minutes.

Regarding the CO/Propane detector, the manufacturer instructions from the detector which is installed in my RV specifically calls for a fuse protected circuit to be used (screen capture from PDF document attached).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prop1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	38241

Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    If you watched the video and you understand how long that circuit breaker actually stays open and you'll realize just how far your RV could travel down the highway in a breakaway situation. Even if it did manage to reset it's gonna instantly trip again, repeating the same scenario over and over.
    I acknowledge your position, but we’re going to need to agree to disagree on this point. The breaker will only trip if there is a short circuit. Thermal breakers have a trip curve, so it’s going to take a sustained moderate overload or complete short to trip it. In either case if there is a short circuit the emergency brake likely won’t work because a) breakaway switch melted b) wire melted c) wire harness on fire d) voltage drop across shorted conductor leaves insufficient power to power emergency brakes.

My position is based my interpretation of the probability of possible failure modes and their outcomes. My flatbed trailer has electric brakes and there are no fuses. Why? Because in the event of a short circuit the limited current available from a small breakaway battery would not be able damage anything. And adding a fuse/breaker to a trailer that sits out in the weather unprotected 24x7 would be a high probability failure point due to the potential for moisture to cause corrosion. But in my RV I have breakers because the amount of current available is a hazard when left unprotected.
    John and Vicki
    2022 Solitude 375RES-R
    2021 Ford F-450

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @wireslv

What you're failing to realize is that the wire feeding the electric brakes by its size and insulation type is protection in itself. It will last long enough to keep the brakes applied as required by law... the resettable breaker or fused link will not. If you took it in for inspection and the mechanic knew what he (she) were doing it would fail. It's like saying I'm not using safety chains because I don't want the disengaged RV hitting my truck and damaging it... let it run wild and everyone else get out of its way. So yes I guess we'll just have to disagree on what's right or safest.... Have a Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 12-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately a typical install. My TT was wired the same way.
    Reflection 297RSTS 2018
    Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't look under the hood of your tow vehicle.
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone ever checked out the outlets they use in these things. They are really poorly made and I suspect dangerous. I was getting an intermittent reverse polarity from my surge protectors and when it finally locked on I was able to track down the issue.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210221_131531.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	38274Click image for larger version. 

ID:	38274Click image for larger version. 

ID:	38274

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, those relatively new RV outlets are common, and, I would suggest, the sketchiest electrical device I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
    Unfortunately a typical install. My TT was wired the same way.
    As this arrangement is supported by code and has been the industry standard for MANY years, that's what I would expect.

One non-professional judgement will not shake my agreement with the EXPERTS that design these systems and write the codes.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Ya, those relatively new RV outlets are common, and, I would suggest, the sketchiest electrical device I have ever seen. And I've seen a lot.

I had those in my 1999 Coleman Pop-up camper. Most spots they were located the manufacturer didn't leave much extra wire to even change them out if I wanted to. But I will say that I luckily never had any issues involving any of these "RV" style receptacles.
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast