User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery life

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery life

We have a 2020 Reflection 260RD and I have a couple of questions about the 12 volt system. There is a keyed cutoff in the pass through storage, when in the off position will the battery still get charged while the camper is plugged in to shore power?
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - the battery disconnect disconnects the converter/charger from the battery so it will not charge. In addition, there are parasitic loads (CO detectors, etc.) that will continue to drain the battery even with the disconnect switch off. Many folks remove a battery cable or install a true cutoff at the battery.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Other than the CO2 detector it seems like I hear a fan running intermittenly, I think in the fuse panel. A cutoff switch sounds like a great idea.
    Reflection 260 RD

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
    Thanks! Other than the CO2 detector it seems like I hear a fan running intermittenly, I think in the fuse panel. A cutoff switch sounds like a great idea.
    The fan you're hearing is likely the cooling fan on the converter/charger. FWIW, batteries - especially flooded/lead-acid batteries will self-discharge over time when not on a maintenance charger. You can leave the trailer plugged into shore power all the time as long as you check the electrolyte level on the battery every month or two.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering switching to dry cell, I thinking two 12 volt wired in parallel would be best. Appreciate the feedback.
    Reflection 260 RD

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The fan you're hearing is likely the cooling fan on the converter/charger. FWIW, batteries - especially flooded/lead-acid batteries will self-discharge over time when not on a maintenance charger. You can leave the trailer plugged into shore power all the time as long as you check the electrolyte level on the battery every month or two.

Rob
    Oh geez, I hate to seem to contradict Rob, as he is always so spot on with advice. And he's not wrong, but this is something I've posted about before, so here goes...

Yes, they do self discharge when disconnected.
    It is a factor of time and temperature. The colder the average temperature, the longer they can be left alone before needing attention.
    Here's one chart found on the web:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	38144

So, Texas/Arizona in the summer - you may want to think about keeping it plugged in, or getting a Battery Minder or similar trickle charger.
    For most other areas of the country - disconnect and forget, unless you won't be using for a very long time.

Here in sub-zero Minn., over the winter, my 6 different Lead Acid batteries are never less than 90% when I check after being off line outdoors from Oct-April.
    One I forgot about for a whole year, so it went through winter and summer outdoor conditions, and was still at 80% when I remembered. My boat AGM's are now on year 12 with this regimen! (Yeah, I'm really rolling the dice on those!).
    Just make sure before you take them off line that:
    a) They haven't been behaving badly before (very short life under normal use)
    b) They have been topped off with distilled water, if they are not sealed.
    c) They are fully charged before putting them to sleep.
    d) They really are fully disconnected.

There's nothing wrong with Rob's advice if it makes you feel more confident. Just make sure to check levels periodically, as it can "boil off" over time when on a charger. Getting low can permanently damage them.
    There is a miniscule chance that the charger could fail and overcharge, also damaging them. But this is an extremely rare event.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice, Thanks again!
    Reflection 260 RD

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
    Whether you unhook it, unhook it and remove it, or leave it hooked up, you still have to check it occasionally. I just leave mine hooked up, and bought one of these on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GP1RXYZ

It communicates via bluetooth with an app on your phone, and you can check it anytime you are in bluetooth range, which is easy for me because I keep the RV at my house....I can check it from the bedroom on that side of the house. Here is a screenshot from my phone showing what my RV batteries read right now.

Name:	BatteryPic.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	38252

Best $30 RV purchase I have ever made. I don't worry about parasitic loads, I just keep an eye on it and top the battery off once a month in the winter. I never let it get below 12.5 volts, but I could let it go as low as 12.3 volts before it would count as a deep cycle. I have AGM batteries.

BTW, it's also a much better way to monitor the batteries while dry camping than the next to worthless battery monitor in the convenience center by the main entry door that the factory installs. By the time that one shows an issue, you have likely already deep cycled it.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 12-25-2021 at 05:23 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @hartcentr

Thanks for that link... I just added it to my shopping cart. Christmas has come and gone but I have a birthday coming up soon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GP1RXYZ
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Oh geez, I hate to seem to contradict Rob, as he is always so spot on with advice. And he's not wrong, but this is something I've posted about before, so here goes...

Yes, they do self discharge when disconnected.
    It is a factor of time and temperature. The colder the average temperature, the longer they can be left alone before needing attention.
    Here's one chart found on the web:

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	38144

So, Texas/Arizona in the summer - you may want to think about keeping it plugged in, or getting a Battery Minder or similar trickle charger.
    For most other areas of the country - disconnect and forget, unless you won't be using for a very long time.

Here in sub-zero Minn., over the winter, my 6 different Lead Acid batteries are never less than 90% when I check after being off line outdoors from Oct-April.
    One I forgot about for a whole year, so it went through winter and summer outdoor conditions, and was still at 80% when I remembered. My boat AGM's are now on year 12 with this regimen! (Yeah, I'm really rolling the dice on those!).
    Just make sure before you take them off line that:
    a) They haven't been behaving badly before (very short life under normal use)
    b) They have been topped off with distilled water, if they are not sealed.
    c) They are fully charged before putting them to sleep.
    d) They really are fully disconnected.

There's nothing wrong with Rob's advice if it makes you feel more confident. Just make sure to check levels periodically, as it can "boil off" over time when on a charger. Getting low can permanently damage them.
    There is a miniscule chance that the charger could fail and overcharge, also damaging them. But this is an extremely rare event.
    The issue with FLA and AGM and even LFP batteries to some extent, they all self discharge some amount. But the RV application adds parasitic drains on the battery and those would be considered, anything that doesn't lose power when the trailer battery disconnect is turned off. Most newer trailer have all kind of electronics onboard and some of them are in fact disconnect with that battery disconnect but some aren't and those, combined with battery self discharge will get you a dead battery in sometimes as short a a week to 10 days.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast