Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Load

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Snow Load

Does anyone know how much weight can be on the walk-on roof of a 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE?
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question, I asked this same question to my dealer when we got it and all I got was more then enough for our winters. I wasn't surprised by their answer. He did mention that they don't clear the roofs on their inventory and neither do people that have them stored outside.
    We get lots of snow and a lot of that heavier wet stuff. I started noticing all of the parked RVs and none had the snow cleared.
    Mine is parked at home and last winter I did clear the edges once near the end of Feb with one of those poles made to clear roofs. I was outside and it was a beautiful sunny day. It was just an excuse to stay outside then a need to clear it. Like I said, I only did the edges though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the trailer can handle the snow, then it’s a non-issue. In the 16 years I gave lived where I do, we had 1.5 feet of snow once but, the usual is anywhere from 4-11 inches, so not too bad compared to other areas. I wonder why they will not give us an answer. I guess I am going to have to call Grand Design and see what kind of answer the Manufacturer will give me. 🤷🏼

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    As long as the trailer can handle the snow, then it’s a non-issue. In the 16 years I gave lived where I do, we had 1.5 feet of snow once but, the usual is anywhere from 4-11 inches, so not too bad compared to other areas. I wonder why they will not give us an answer. I guess I am going to have to call Grand Design and see what kind of answer the Manufacturer will give me. [emoji1743]
    Please post back the answer if you manage to get one.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not an Imagine, our Reflection has had 3 feet of snow on it with no ill effects that I'm aware of. It's at about a foot and a half right now.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While in an RV park near Whistler, BC, Canada for a ski trip we saw a TT with a caved in roof. It wasn't the snow that got them, it was the snow/rain/freeze/ repeat cycle that got them. They have about 3 feet of fresh snow, then it rained, then it froze, then it did it all over again. Everyone there cleared their roofs.

I clear my roof, not because of the snow, but because of the ice. When snow melts it drips into things, then freezes, expanding. Mostly it's not a big deal, I just take the extra effort to prevent any problems. Also, there is less ice around the RV for us to slip on.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 21BHE and have had over 3' of snow on it with no bad effects. I worry more about the axles handling 160 square feet of snow load (at 10# per foot of snow) more than the roof, where the load is spread more evenly. The weight far exceeded the ratings of the (already 75-80% loaded) axles, but with the stabilizers and tongue jack down, they didn't need to carry the full load.
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A part of the reason I refrain from clearing the roof is I think it would not be hard to damage the roof. Either from the tpo being frozen and less flexible while I move around on it, or a shovel/tool nicking it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Scott'n'Wendy

On my previous TT I would occasionally clean the snow off of the roof because I used the trailer for tailgating. I would use an 18" wide push broom and carefully pull the snow off with it. Doing so I still managed to break the cap off of the sewer vent pipe on the roof, cracked a skylight over the shower, and cracked one of the ceiling vent covers. Not major items to fix but just an annoyance in the middle of winter.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 01-01-2022 at 05:47 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    A part of the reason I refrain from clearing the roof is I think it would not be hard to damage the roof. Either from the tpo being frozen and less flexible while I move around on it, or a shovel/tool nicking it.
    You are wise to be concerned about these things. I use a stiff bristle broom with a plastic head to clear my roof. I have seen people with snow shovels on their roofs and it makes me cringe.

The TPO material appears to remain flexible in freezing temperatures. Not as flexible as when it's warm, but not brittle to the point of cracking. Ice collects on the edge of my roof just above the drain rails. I will tap the ice with the edge of my broom to break it up and then sweep it off. In 4 years I have had no roof leaks.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast