User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Great explanation. Part of the energy lost with the propane under pressure is heat. If you feel the tanks when you have stuff running, the tanks will be cold. In very cold weather, there may be enough heat loss to prevent the propane from going through the regulator. Blankets could make the difference.
    The cooling effect of propane vaporizing cools the tanks and regulator. That means it will be colder under the blanket than outside and the blanket will help keep it colder. You want the outside air to be able to warm the regulator. Putting a blanket over it will make vaporization slower.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    Are you sure that you are not about out of propane. If so the cold temp will not allow the little left to pressurize until it warms up. In cold weather I can only get 2 to 3 days on a 30lb tank of propane.
    Happened with fresh tanks, so not an issue with the level.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody heard of getting a "bad batch" of propane? I know it doesn't go bad but thinking back on when the issue started it was right after I exchanged my propane cylinders. I'm going to have another two bottles filled at a different location to see if it may be part of the issue. Before the two bottles that we got from the dealer were emptied everything ran fine and during single digit temps.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainrv View Post
    Has anybody heard of getting a "bad batch" of propane? I know it doesn't go bad but thinking back on when the issue started it was right after I exchanged my propane cylinders. I'm going to have another two bottles filled at a different location to see if it may be part of the issue. Before the two bottles that we got from the dealer were emptied everything ran fine and during single digit temps.
    If you bought the gas somewhere it doesn’t get cold or in mid-summer, it’s possible it contains a higher butane percentage. Butane stops vaporizing at around 31F.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    If you bought the gas somewhere it doesn’t get cold or in mid-summer, it’s possible it contains a higher butane percentage. Butane stops vaporizing at around 31F.
    That would explain why I was able to get the furnace to run when it was above 32F yesterday. I did a tank swap at our local grocery store.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would explain why I was able to get the furnace to run when it was above 32F yesterday. I did a tank swap at our local grocery store.
    Certainly a possibility.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Certainly a possibility.
    Seems like it was a propane issue after all (knock on wood). Got a fresh refill and she fired on the second attempt at 0 degrees this morning. Lesson learned, find a refill station and avoid propane exchanges.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like it was a propane issue after all (knock on wood). Got a fresh refill and she fired on the second attempt at 0 degrees this morning. Lesson learned, find a refill station and avoid propane exchanges.
    When looking for a refill station try to buy your propane at a high sales volume place like a propane supplier. After I got oil in my propane tanks from some rv park and had to replace my tanks I try to now buy from high volume dealers.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    When looking for a refill station try to buy your propane at a high sales volume place like a propane supplier. After I got oil in my propane tanks from some rv park and had to replace my tanks I try to now buy from high volume dealers.
    Good to know. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw..... I use to have issues on a motorhome with my propane regulator - it didn't like the cold weather.

I put an incandescent trouble light in the bay with the regulator to keep the temps there a bit warmer and didn't have any more issues. I assumed it had something to do with cold propane getting colder as the pressure change took effect inside the regulator.

In really cold weather the regulator would just freeze up. Before I figured out the light bulb heating thrick I wa using either warm (not hot) water to warm the regulator or the DW's hair cryer.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast