User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the Ram dually, with the Alcoa rims on the outside and steely in the rear inside, the dealerships and Ram say that to properly rotate the tires, all the tires have to be dismounted and rotated on different rims. Now probably most owners aren't going to do that, they would just rotate the front to outside back and leave the inside rear steely's alone. When I had my Ram in for service, the dealership said that's how you had to do it and the cost was $200 but they couldn't do it that day.

Now I didn't get my fronts and outside rears swapped around in time and the outside edges of my fronts wore badly, this was because of how the tires/rims lean out in a full lock turn. By the time I checked the front depth the outside edges were already worn down to beyond the ware bars. A lot of Ram owners over on their forums report if they don't rotate their fronts around often they get half the mileage out of the front tires versus the rear. That's what happened to me, I've got almost 38,000 miles on a set of tires that have a 60,000 thread warranty , the fronts are wore out on the outside edges, the rear dually' s are still great.

When I started looking for new front tires I found my size, brand and type were on national back order due to inventory shortages and nobody had them. We have a 5000 mile trip next year so I want new tires on the front. Checked NTB, Discount Tire, local stores and Tire Rack said they could order them, but it would take over two weeks for delivery and not guaranteed orderability. This is in the Houston area. We are only here for a month. Worn down front steering tires are not something to fool with towing a rig. It took almost all day searching the internet and talking with stores but I found two new tires for the front of the same size and brand but a different type. From an LTX AT2 60,000 thread life to an AS type tire with 50,000 thread life.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 01-17-2022 at 09:08 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    It's a simple answer, you bought the wrong brand truck!
    From looking at your signature.....So did you!..lol
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-17-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a front aluminum wheel crack at the stem hole on a trip last fall. Couldn't find a spare wheel-300 miles from home. Got home safely on the spare.
    Anyhoo, ordered one new rim from Carid, went with a refurbished factory wheel. I could have it polished on the outside, or both sides. Or could have ordered new aftermarket, polished one side or both, with oval holes (stock) or round holes. That would change the look from stock.
    Could have ordered round, they sent me two
    As an aside, the trucking co. I worked for did not like aluminum next to steel, had something to do with a chemical reaction between them-asked about it but never got a straight answer. All new trucks were specked with 10 shinny new aluminum-trailers were steel.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've never really noticed from where I'm sitting, which is usually in the front seat and they're not visible from there. Don't really care what other people think.
    THIS!
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Don't really care what other people think.
    Seeing as you are an RV'er, a vision of Eddie (Randy Quaid) emptying the black tank come to mind...lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6aLiY66HVs
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there are valid concerns, like Cousin Eddie's actions, and then there are concerns over frippery. I fall into the former camp.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timlisajax View Post
    As usual, this is all good info from everyone. I had an 03 Chevy dually and since it was a lower trim level, it came with 6 steel wheels. When I rotated the tires, I rotated all 6 since they would all fit, no matter the position. To get past the steel look, I put on stainless steel wheel skins which looked decent, IMO.
    I kinda cant take bad looking wheels put these on the 2500.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4823.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	38557
    2019 Ram 2500 CTD Custom Crew Cab (DRW), RoadMaster RM257 Heavy hauler, Cummins Generator, 2020 380Fl

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Random question of the day.
    Why not a nice alloy wheel for the front wheels of a dually, why do they all look like cheap hubcaps?
    ����
    Attachment 38549
    The wheels are a hold over from when Duallies were just work trucks. Back then, all the wheels were made from steel and all six wheels were identical. When you had a flat, your spare (which has the same wheel) could be placed in any tire position. The rear inner dually fits on the same as the front wheels. The outer dually is simply turned the opposite direction. This also facilitates tire rotation, you simply take the front wheels and mount them on either the inside or outside dually and move one of the rear duallys onto the front.

On today's trucks, with Aluminum wheels, the OEMs have made this process difficult because they use a steel wheel for the inner dually which means a simple wheel swap from front to back, or a swap from inner to outer dually means you will have two Aluminum wheels showing and two steel wheels showing after a tire rotation. Additionally, because of the dirt and grime accumulated between the duallys (and inside the front wheels) the Aluminum wheels get dirty and pitted so they are not fit for display.

That is why tire rotations involve dismounting and remounting the tires onto the wheels.

Now, if you had a work truck with steel wheels and you did not care how dirty your wheels looked then tire rotations would be a lot simpler.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On ​my truck I have always change this out.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, you are correct, those GMC wheels are hideous to say the least. I've always just lost the stupid covers and ran them bare. Might not look "shiny" and all nice, but I hate messing with that chromed plastic crap when removing tires/wheels.

I ran just the center caps on my 2002 back in the day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	38558

On the current 2009, I don't run any of it. I've always planned on center drilling the front caps for the free-spin hub kit, but never got around to it. Having that front free-spin kit to allow me a 2WD LOW is the best thing ever for backing these large trailers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009 Dodge-Reflection.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	38559

I'm more of function over looks. That plastic crap gets brittle in the winter too. To heck with all that goofy crap.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast