User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I’m planning to go with an aux diesel tank in the back of our dually, so I searched and found that Cummins Onan makes a QD6000 (quiet diesel) genny. That way I don’t need a different fuel source than the truck, and will have plenty. Pricey tho. May eventually add solar, but would like to secure as many options as I can, as early as I can, and that’s prob not by doing solar first.
    Fuel choice is one of the reasons I chose to purchase our Dual Fuel Champion 3500 Watt Inverter Generator. I like running it on Propane and I have never put gas in the tank. It runs like a Champion on Propane (whoops, there was a pun).

I absolutely agree that all this can be done in phases, however, I feel the first step to improving any RV electrical system should be switching to Lithium batteries. Switching to Lithium really is a game changer when it comes to improving the performance of your electrical system and, bonus: you can add one battery at a time because each battery has it's own internal BMS which controls charging and cell balancing.

Have you read the thread about Installing Solar in Phases?

Hear is the link: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...356#post406356
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    No I was unaware so thank you. It does fit life over the past few years though.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]38548

The cases are made by rvgeneratorbox.com the black side panels come off and I run them without taking them out of the box. the top box is a gravity feed marine tank (I think 6 gallons) it will run both for several days. I can run them off propane as well. I have run them going down the road many times.

Hopefully the picture is not upside down! Again I do not dismiss solar- its just my use and experience.
    I really like those boxes.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No perfect one size fits all answer to this. I'm in the mountains of BC Canada, this time of year "if" you get sun it's four hours @ best. Camping season, such as last year we had heavy smoke from all the fires. Dramatically reduces solar energy, then unusually hot so AC was critical.

My current Jayco 34' with one AC unit would not bring the indoor temp below 90*F. With a soft start on the AC unit a 2000w Honda would not run the 15000 BTU AC, so the 3500w backup had to run.

One of the many reasons I have a 310 GK on order.

I've learned a lot about solar the past several seasons & am 100% fan & supporter. Normally AC is not a primary factor & Solar will provide us with most of our needs.

The 310 GK is coming with factory installed solar & gen prep. My thought process @ this time is to add 400ah of lithium batteries. The factory solar has a 300w panel, I will add a 200w portable panel so I can chase the sun.

Second phase of solar will be to add a larger inverter that will power the gen prep & add more lithium battery power.

The idea being the smaller inverter for normal usage & lower current draw.

I'm hoping to soft start both AC units & get away with a small 4500w Cummins portable gen when needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Fuel choice is one of the reasons I chose to purchase our Dual Fuel Champion 3500 Watt Inverter Generator. I like running it on Propane and I have never put gas in the tank. It runs like a Champion on Propane (whoops, there was a pun).

I absolutely agree that all this can be done in phases, however, I feel the first step to improving any RV electrical system should be switching to Lithium batteries. Switching to Lithium really is a game changer when it comes to improving the performance of your electrical system and, bonus: you can add one battery at a time because each battery has it's own internal BMS which controls charging and cell balancing.

Your timing is perfect! I upgraded my battery box and was just looking at the lithium batteries after contemplating this post earlier. My question was charger/ Inverter so I appreciate your answering it indirectly.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m planning to go with an aux diesel tank in the back of our dually, so I searched and found that Cummins Onan makes a QD6000 (quiet diesel) genny. That way I don’t need a different fuel source than the truck, and will have plenty. Pricey tho. May eventually add solar, but would like to secure as many options as I can, as early as I can, and that’s prob not by doing solar first.
    If you do that, please let us know how it goes. I'm thinking my next RV will only come with genny prep and I'll go with a QD. A lot to like about that thing, non-explosive fuel, inverter, incredibly efficient, no ethanol problems. And if you're shopping a QG5500 vs a QD, it's not a huge uplift in price (a few K, IIRC). If you use the genny a lot, you'll make that back in fuel saving (maybe) and longevity (definitely).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Yes good info! I think the batts will be what I tackle next after the genny, then the solar.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    If you do that, please let us know how it goes. I'm thinking my next RV will only come with genny prep and I'll go with a QD. A lot to like about that thing, non-explosive fuel, inverter, incredibly efficient, no ethanol problems. And if you're shopping a QG5500 vs a QD, it's not a huge uplift in price (a few K, IIRC). If you use the genny a lot, you'll make that back in fuel saving (maybe) and longevity (definitely).
    Be glad to! Truck won’t be here for a good long while yet. ☹️
    My wife and I are new to RVing, but no strangers to camping from our earlier years. I retire next year, so this is our “acquisition year” (it’s a shame it takes that long!). From the sounds of it now, with reservations being commonly required way in advance, we thought it would be good to be self sufficient from the start so we can boondock. With the QD and aux tank, we can long outlast our water supply.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes good info! I think the batts will be what I tackle next after the genny, then the solar.
    I’m thinking that batteries are next for me. I’m not familiar with the best, but I’m sure someone on here might know.
    2019 Ram 2500 CTD Custom Crew Cab (DRW), RoadMaster RM257 Heavy hauler, Cummins Generator, 2020 380Fl

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    If you do that, please let us know how it goes. I'm thinking my next RV will only come with genny prep and I'll go with a QD. A lot to like about that thing, non-explosive fuel, inverter, incredibly efficient, no ethanol problems.
    This was my original plan also. I really wanted to go with the QD. But then I did math.

YMMV depending on what point your starting from start. I ordered the unit with the genny installed, we have a solitude so it comes with the propane unit. Using current numbers, It was right about $3,800 with the discount, factory installed (not inc. prep). The QD is over 9K + install, + some sort of tank, lines etc. The aux tank in the truck didn't appeal to me as we leave with the truck too often and if its hot, I need the AC's to keep running for the dog and I don't want to come back to a hot unit anyway.

Once I did the math including efficiency, fuel costs, run time etc. it came out being impossible to even come close to making any sense. And that doesnt account for the pita factor of installing it. 6k+ buys a lot of propane. It also turns out we run it even less time then I used in my calculations. We installed a Multiplus II to run the whole unit off batteries and 400AH of lithium. We really only need to run the genny a few hours every couple of days to charge the batteries unless we need AC.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    No perfect one size fits all answer to this. I'm in the mountains of BC Canada, this time of year "if" you get sun it's four hours @ best. Camping season, such as last year we had heavy smoke from all the fires. Dramatically reduces solar energy, then unusually hot so AC was critical.

My current Jayco 34' with one AC unit would not bring the indoor temp below 90*F. With a soft start on the AC unit a 2000w Honda would not run the 15000 BTU AC, so the 3500w backup had to run.

One of the many reasons I have a 310 GK on order.

I've learned a lot about solar the past several seasons & am 100% fan & supporter. Normally AC is not a primary factor & Solar will provide us with most of our needs.

The 310 GK is coming with factory installed solar & gen prep. My thought process @ this time is to add 400ah of lithium batteries. The factory solar has a 300w panel, I will add a 200w portable panel so I can chase the sun.

Second phase of solar will be to add a larger inverter that will power the gen prep & add more lithium battery power.

The idea being the smaller inverter for normal usage & lower current draw.

I'm hoping to soft start both AC units & get away with a small 4500w Cummins portable gen when needed.
    Ahh a fellow BC'r ,who knows about every park in BC is shaded .I ran my new 30G with the optional 300w solar panel boondocking could not keep my fridge from killing the batteries in 2 days unless I ran the genset.The only place was in Manning park in a wide open spot full access to the sun ,then batteries were topped up no issue and lots of power.Going the same route new batteries (Lithium?)and a 200w solar portable this year,see if we can hold our own.
    Retired Pilot 2021 Grand Design 30 g 2018 Ram 3500,2015 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast