Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar wiring question for my 260RD

Hello All. I'm not sure where the pre wired solar cable from the roof enters the front compartment. I've circled what I think are the positive and negative solar cables near my battery. Can anyone verify that I have the correct solar cables coming from the roof. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210906_121730.jpg  

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am wanting to add 400 to 600 watts of solar on to my 260RD with a 24 volt battery system. If any one has drawings or advise on how to do this I will be grateful. My rv is solar prep. My two concerns is protecting my 3000 watt inverter when plugged into shore power and getting the wiring right so I don't mess up the batteries or get batteries get overly circled.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
    Hello All. I'm not sure where the pre wired solar cable from the roof enters the front compartment. I've circled what I think are the positive and negative solar cables near my battery. Can anyone verify that I have the correct solar cables coming from the roof. Thanks for the help.
    These certainly look like them. Best way to verify is to “Buzz” them out.

Do a resistance check for each wire from the roof to these wires. That will tell you if you have the right ones.

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGazaway View Post
    I am wanting to add 400 to 600 watts of solar on to my 260RD with a 24 volt battery system. If any one has drawings or advise on how to do this I will be grateful. My rv is solar prep. My two concerns is protecting my 3000 watt inverter when plugged into shore power and getting the wiring right so I don't mess up the batteries or get batteries get overly circled.
    I would advise against a 24 volt system. I know why you want to do it, but your solar system can easily have 24 volts 48 volts etc to your charge controller and it will manage the voltage to charge the batteries. No reason to change your primary system. The solar set up and charge controller will do that automatically for you.

Good Luck,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response. I will do more studying. I will be doing slot of boondocky, I am looking for efficiency.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JGazaway,

Thanks for bringing this up, I have been reading a lot about solar power, and doing the same with my 260rd, but also felt discouraged by the mess of wires and not sure where everything is and etc. If you find out more, and if I do, I will be more then happy to pass along the info.

Thanks again
    Sean
    GMC Sierra 2500 HD short box with oem puck system
    6.6 litre Gas V8
    Grand Design Reflection 260rd
    Demco 18k Hijacker Hitch with 25k rail kit system

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine were lableled and one had a green fuse on it, IIRC. I did make sure which were + and - before hookup though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200810_083044.jpg  
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGazaway View Post
    It is hard to advise you without more information on your Inverter, is it hardwired to the coach in such a way as the Inverter also acts as a battery charger?

With a 3000 Watt Inverter, I think having a 24 volt battery bank is a good idea, your cabling sizes can be smaller and the conversion of 24 volts to 120 volts is more efficient. As far as getting 12 volts to your coach goes, it is a simple matter of installing a 24v to 12v DC to DC Converter. I installed my DC to DC Converter into the same wires as my OEM Converter was installed. Do you have a 24 volt battery bank now?

Are you planning on installing Lithium batteries with your Solar panels? Or, are you already running a Lithium battery bank. If you don't have a Lithium battery bank currently, I would suggest upgrading to Lithium first, you may find that you won't need to install Solar with an adequate Lithium battery bank.

As far as the size of your Solar system, 400 - 600 Watts, bigger is always better, however with a 3000 Watt Inverter, I am not sure 600 Watts of Solar would be enough to keep your coach running on Solar, especially if you have a Residential Refrigerator.

When it comes to Solar panels, I recommend you look into Residential Solar panels, they work well and have higher wattage than the Renogy, NewPowar and Furrion panels typically used on RVs. Additionally, Residential Solar panels are much cheaper (on a $ per Watt basis) than the previously mentioned panels. By using Residential panels you can get your costs down to ~ $0.70 cents per Watt and afford to install more Wattage than when you are using those other panels I mentioned. For example: Furrion 165 Watt Solar panel from e-trailer, $505 that's $3.06 per Watt versus a 330 Watt Canadian Solar panel for $275, that's $0.83 cents per Watt, HUGE savings (FYI I have Canadian Solar panels on my coach).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will let you know what I find out and provide updates.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David,
    Thank you for your response tonight I will provide more details of the system I want to use.
    Retired US Navy
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3
    2021 Reflection 260RD
    Pullrite 2600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast