User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcramer View Post
    They were E’s. Went to G’s. At the time of failure was on a short trip with no motorcycle and much less weight than normal. And was a relatively cool day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you. That is good information.

good luck and safe travel to everyone.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been monitoring the Dutchmen forum also because i will be purchasing a toyhauler in a few years and I am comparing the Voltage to the Momentum. The Voltage units also come with Westlake tires but they come standard with an E rated tire, even on a 20000 pound GVWR unit. It seems they are having a ton of tire failures. I just wish I had data on how many E rated westlakes fail compared to G rated. To get G rated on the Voltage it is an upgrade option but they are still Westlakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had one Westlake tire blow within 6mths of purchasing. Less than 1000 miles on them. No damage done to the RV thankfully. Westlake replaced 4 tires out of 6 after the dealer inspected them and agreed to unusual wear. Here we are again 10 mths later with a blown tire. This time the tred separated and took out the side and underneath of the RV. Lots of damage and we are going to have a huge deductible to pay. Not sure how to proceed. We feel like these tires are defective and we shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket. Glad no one was hurt and we were close to home after a long trip.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all!

I hate that my first post here is about tires failing. We bought our Momentum almost exactly a year ago and began racking up some mileage. Last week on a return trip from Sturgis, we had two tires go. The worst thing about it (or maybe not) is that they went at different times and unbelievably at the same mile marker. We were about 25 miles east of Rapid City when the first went. After realizing my truck (F350) lug wrench wouldn't fit around the lug nuts do to the space or lack there of around each nut, we called AAA. After the tire was changed we drove back to rapid city and were able to get the tire changed and then stopped by Menard's to buy a breaker bar and 1/2 socket to fit the lugs correctly. We then started out again and as luck would have it another tire blew tread on the opposite side on the trailer. We swapped out this tire and again drove back to Rapid City at which time we had all remaining tires replaced. We weren't going to risk having another issue as opportunities for new tires between Rapid City and Sioux Falls would be almost non-existent.

I figure that we had about 4000 miles on these tires and can't believe the poor quality. We did take very minor damage to the trailer. On the door-side, we have some minor fender damage. On the back side, the tread flew off and damaged our fresh water release lever. Bent the crap out of it and opened the valve at the same time. In fact when it first happened, the water hitting the road and spraying looked like a trail of smoke...lol.

Grand Design owner support sent us to their tire supplier for a re-reimbursement of the 2 tires that blew. After speaking with the tire supplier though they were less than committed to doing anything about the 2 we replaced that were still 'good' and stated that any damages to the trailer would have to be cared for through our insurance. I plan to call GS back tomorrow so I guess we will see what happens. Unfortunately the only tires available were HI-Runs which are also made in China. I can only hope these hold up better as I am not inclined to bite the bullet and replace the new tires yet. I just hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt me later.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking! Another Westlake failure! Look - these things are clearly inferior tires. GD can quote percentages all they want - end of the day, you just don't hear continued disaster tales like this one about Sailuns or Goodyears. I've been a victim of these tires as have many others - GD really should look at getting rid of these things - they tarnish the reputation of an otherwise great product.

A note to GD: the five year warranty is useless. Who cares about a lousy $100 tire being replaced when you still need to contend with the down time, the danger to your family, the damage to the coach, the insurance deductible and the overall inconvenience. I suggest you scrap the "Westlake warranty" and spend the money on better tires for the coach. Suggestion: Sailuns are pretty good.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    Hello all!

I hate that my first post here is about tires failing. We bought our Momentum almost exactly a year ago and began racking up some mileage. Last week on a return trip from Sturgis, we had two tires go. The worst thing about it (or maybe not) is that they went at different times and unbelievably at the same mile marker. We were about 25 miles east of Rapid City when the first went. After realizing my truck (F350) lug wrench wouldn't fit around the lug nuts do to the space or lack there of around each nut, we called AAA. After the tire was changed we drove back to rapid city and were able to get the tire changed and then stopped by Menard's to buy a breaker bar and 1/2 socket to fit the lugs correctly. We then started out again and as luck would have it another tire blew tread on the opposite side on the trailer. We swapped out this tire and again drove back to Rapid City at which time we had all remaining tires replaced. We weren't going to risk having another issue as opportunities for new tires between Rapid City and Sioux Falls would be almost non-existent.

I figure that we had about 4000 miles on these tires and can't believe the poor quality. We did take very minor damage to the trailer. On the door-side, we have some minor fender damage. On the back side, the tread flew off and damaged our fresh water release lever. Bent the crap out of it and opened the valve at the same time. In fact when it first happened, the water hitting the road and spraying looked like a trail of smoke...lol.

Grand Design owner support sent us to their tire supplier for a re-reimbursement of the 2 tires that blew. After speaking with the tire supplier though they were less than committed to doing anything about the 2 we replaced that were still 'good' and stated that any damages to the trailer would have to be cared for through our insurance. I plan to call GS back tomorrow so I guess we will see what happens. Unfortunately the only tires available were HI-Runs which are also made in China. I can only hope these hold up better as I am not inclined to bite the bullet and replace the new tires yet. I just hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt me later.
    Wecome to the forum Street Glider. It's a shame your first post has to be about tire problems, but we're glad you joined us. And this serves as a good reminder that in addition to making sure that you have a lug wrench that will fit, all owners should have some additional tools readily available to them.

All of the different models have owner's manuals that state something similar to this:

"Wheel Torque — Lug nut torque at every wheel should bechecked before departing on any trip, regardless of how short
    it may be. Refer to the Tire & Wheel section of this manual
    for lug nut torque specifications and patterns. Always use a
    calibrated torque wrench to confirm proper torque."

This is one of the most critical inspections you can perform to make sure that your wheels stay properly tightened and don't come off. It's especially vital to check the torque several times after a wheel is removed. If anyone needs a recommendation on a good torque wrench, let us know. It's not only vital for checking the torque on your lug nuts, but also for checking the torque on key fasteners on the hitch and suspension.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all!

Were these 'E' or 'G' rated Westlake tires that blew?
    USN (87-97) AMS 2 (AW)
    15 Ram Mega Cab, Auto, CTD, 4x4 on 35's, AUH
    18 Momentum 351M
    13 Fat Boy
    94 Heritage

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were the OEM 'E' rated tires.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were the OEM 'E' rated tires.
    According to the Grand Design website the Momentum’s are supposed to come from the factory with G Rated tires.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the only tires available were HI-Runs which are also made in China. I can only hope these hold up better as I am not inclined to bite the bullet and replace the new tires yet. I just hope that decision doesn't come back to haunt me later.
    Welcome to the forum, and as already stated it's a shame your first post is related to a tire failure.

When your first tire failed, what may have happened is the opposing tire was overstressed and ultimately also failed. I don't pretend to be a tire expert, but I know that's why we always replaced the opposite tire on an aircraft for that reason when there was a failure.

Regarding the new tires--I suggest checking their load rating. If they are "E" like the originals, you might want to consider replacing them either Sailuns or Goodyears with the higher load rating. Sell the others on Craigslist or eBay.

25 miles east of Rapid City--you were out in the middle of nowhere! If I remember right, that's about halfway to Wall Drug and the Badlands. I spent many years at Ellsworth AFB, so obviously I know the area well.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast