User Tag List

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Another project today is to label most (if not all) of the wires. The standard at my old job was to document both ends of the wire.

Examples: the red wire on the inverter input will have this label: INV IN LINE > ATS SHORE L1 The white wire on the inverter input will have this label: INV IN N > ATS SHORE N

That gives me all the info I need on the wire itself. Will be a time-consuming task but if I do it now troubleshooting at some point in the future (if I encounter a problem) later will be much, much easier. I'll soon forget the details of this wiring as I move on to other projects.
    Agreed, labels at both ends, spent way too many hours chasing unlabeled wires in control cabinets.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if we can get Fran to video Howard doing his "happy dance" after lift off of the new system?

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victron CCGX Color Monitor

To keep this thread semi-OT I'm going to start a new thread detailing the CCGX monitor.

So far it is really cool! And I've just started to play with it...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 99% Sure the AC Wiring is Right!

Edit: Please do not miss post 177 for an update. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post229418

Quote Originally Posted by Nomado View Post
    ...There was also a diagram on the backside of the cover of mine...
    Doh! I never even thought to look there. Sure enough, there's a diagram on the inside of the lid.

For the pictures below, I changed the wire colors on the diagram to match the wire colors as they actually exist coming out of the inverter. I then matched wire-for-wire to a picture I took of my installation. I'm 99% sure I've got it right, but don't want to apply AC power just yet until I get the final concurrence from AMSolar. (Still waiting for a return call. Only two guys there know anything about the Smart ATS.)

Thanks again for commenting, Damon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smart Automatic Transfer Switch Schematic on Lid with Howards Wire Coloring.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	19399

Name:	AC WIring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	19400
    Last edited by howson; 04-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    While waiting for AMSolar's response to my AC wiring question (see Day 7 post) I decided to fire up the BMV-712 and get it programmed. Everything on the 12V side is wired and ready, so no reason not to press. (I left the inverter off.)
    I had some questions when programming the BMV-712 and I believe they had me speak with Shawn at AM Solar. He seemed to be their expert on programming the systems. They may have updated the programming details they provide online since I programmed my system a couple months ago. At the time there were a few items that they had changed. Shawn was really helpful and walked me through the whole system as well. If you ask Garret he will know who to speak with.

Edit: I only mention as you might want to double check when you speak with them on the ATS system.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 8 - PM Update

Edit: Please do not miss post 177 for an update. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...l=1#post229418

So the AC side works. I haven't programmed the inverter yet (or turned it on) but when I turned on shore power all of the ac circuits powered up as expected. Yea.

Before I turned on power the AMSolar guru got back to me and confirmed I had the SmartATS box wired correctly. He didn't like the color of the wires used, but when I said that is what an AMSolar employee advised me he didn't know what to say.

The wires in question are the red, black and white wires used in the INVERTER IN and INVERTER OUT cables. I suspect the L1 connections are supposed to be black, neutral should always be white, and L2 connections should be red. He now wants me to rewire using the ground wire in the cable (instead of the white wire) but that ship has sailed. I snipped off the ground wire on both ends since I was told it was not used. (Actually the employee's response was, "I have no idea" when queried what to do with the wire.) I was specifically advised to connect RED to LINE, BLACK to NEUTRAL and WHITE to GROUND on the inverter. This drove me to connect these in the SmartATS accordingly. Below is the actual box as wired.

Name:	AC WIring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	19408

Here's what it looks like under the hutch. If you look closely there are large zip ties that I installed behind the SmartATS. These will wrap around the EMS. The EMS is held up by dual-lock tape and the zip ties will be an additional measure to ensure it stays in place.

Name:	IMG_0918 (Large).jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	19407

Excited about tomorrow--can't wait to program the inverter and fire it up. Once I prove everything works, I'll charge the batteries and set the SOC. Then I have a mountain of post-installation work to tackle including fixing that bent water line, reinstalling the coroplast, etc. I'll also pull the HOCC apart and make it presentable before the final assembly.

I'll post tomorrow any lessons learned regarding the inverter programming. After that, I'll stop until it is finished or there is something important to pass along. I'll also put together a summary in a PDF from this thread.

If there's any questions, now's the time to hit me up while the info is fresh in my mind.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 04-19-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard

Is that a louvered access panel that you remove to see the furnace?
    Just wondering if the EMS or ATS may be affected by residual heat from the furnace.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Howard

Is that a louvered access panel that you remove to see the furnace?
    Just wondering if the EMS or ATS may be affected by residual heat from the furnace.

Brian
    Yes, there is a louvered panel that covers that opening. The WFCO Converter was in the same spot as the SmartATS is mounted now, so honestly I didn't give it much thought. The EMS has lived in this location for the last 8 months without issue (along with the WFCO) but I rarely run the furnace for extended periods.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day 9 - It works!

It works! Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minor issue with programming the Multiplus (directions don't match what was in a dialog box). I sent AMSolar an email and I'm waiting for a response. In the meantime I pressed on and everything seems to work as advertised. I even ran the 15K air conditioner off the batteries (through the inverter!) just to see if it would work. It did.

A couple of minor surprises--the relays (in the SmartATS and Inverter) close with authority. As in with a loud CLUNK. The first time I jumped when they engaged. At the same time a bird was outside of the trailer making a chirping noise that sounded like an alarm (which made my blood pressure rise for a second until I realized what it was). I'll have to ensure my Pomeranian is not in her kennel when I go to recharge the batteries. She'll freak out with that clunk if she's that close to it.

Only other minor issue was the Multiplus didn't show up in the CCGX. There are two ethernet ports on the Multiplus and two on the CCGX. I moved the connection on the Multiplus, no change. I moved it on the CCGX and presto!, it showed up.

The batteries are in charge mode now. When they are done I'll start the (expected) multi-day process of securing the components and making the end product presentable. Unless I get a question I won't post again until I'm ready to share the completed-project pictures along with the summary PDF. I will also provide a weight gain figure. (I had the trailer weighed prior to the project and I haven't changed anything except the addition of these components. I'll weigh it again and report the difference.)

-Howard

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Glad it’s going well. I’d imagine they are some pretty large relays lol.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast