User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    There should be a discussion about how the diesel is transferred from the holding tank to the truck's underbelly tank. AFAIK the two options are:
    1) active pump such as the one TransferFlow uses
    2) gravity fed

The gravity fed systems are 50%+ less expensive than the TransferFlow. TransferFlow has on its website, a quote about some DOT regulation that says it's not legal to do gravity fed. However, I looked into this and read the actual statute, which actually refers to GASOLINE, not diesel. So AFAIK gravity fed diesel auxillary tanks are perfectly legal.

The choice comes down to cost and convenience. The gravity fed is just that. You open a valve and the fuel is fed by gravity. The TransferFlow has the fancy auto-feed and fuel gauge.
    There is also a 3rd option. Some truck bed mounted tanks have their own dedicated pump and nozzle which you would then use as if you were at a gas station to fill the truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 06-29-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I added a 60 gallon fuel tool box combo to my 2018 F250 soon after i bought it. I would not even consider rving without it. It is so nice to travel with piece of mine, no stress about finding an easy gas station to fill up and if you have a TDS fuel discount card you will save a lot of money between truck stops. I have mine wired to a upfitter switch in the cab going to a fuel pump. I get two fill ups from the auxiliary tank. Really not sure why you would even think about rving without it unless your not traveling across the country like i do.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    You don't need a fancy setup either. Just a tank and in my case, i couldn't get gravity feed to work so i installed a fuel pump and wired it to an upfitter switch. You will educated yourself on how many times you can fill up your OEM tank with a full auxillary tank. No expensive in cab gauges.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a Transferflow in my '00 Ford. Skipped putting a tank in the '06 but didn't do much traveling but a real pain having to fill all the time. Now, on my '18 I put in an RDS auxiliary tank with a pump to transfer (on the go) to my main tank.

Even tho the truck has a 34 gallon tank the most usable fuel seems to be at 29 gallons; and even then the low fuel warning light, alarms, and such are screaming at me. So it isn't wasn't such a good option to have just the main tank.

My RDS sits under my Rolltop cover. So I had already given up the space above the bed but making the bed length effectively shorter. The 37 gallon RDS takes up a bit more bed but does not effect me for load carrying when not towing nor does it effect me when pulling the fiver. btw - I only get 33 or 34 gallons out of the "37" gallon RDS

In retrospect I should order a custom tank from RDS so the filler neck was more convenient and so it was a bit taller and shorter. That would give me a bit more bed space but my primary reason for changing would be for filling convenience.

I considered a Titan and Transferflow but now get more fuel on board than those options at a much less cost. I did it myself.

I set up a pump control circuit that, once armed, and then activated will transfer 10 gallons and automatically cut off until re-armed and re-activated. It includes an indicator light when the pump circuit is on (or I can listen to static on the CB as the pump is noisy!!).

Brent, I think your signature line has an out of date truck listed??
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Brent, I think your signature line has an out of date truck listed??
    Not yet. Truck just bought. Have to install the puck under-bed hitch mount along with inbed 7-pin. Superglide 2714 on order along with the hitch mount and tools to do the job. The 2008 F250 just detailed. Picking up today and will put the Superglide 4400 in it, snap a bunch of pics along with some video, and put her up for sale. She's been tuned her whole life so the engine is rock-solid. Hitch still works perfectly as well with 10 years of use on the rig. We may have to use her with upcoming reservation at local campground Maumelle Park in Little Rock on the Arkansas River if the new truck isn't ready by then.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an RDS 51 gallon gravity fed on current truck. Not wanting to install something that big again. I think 2 or 3 cans of diesel will be the interim fix to possibly adding a tank later if I want.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too put the Titan tank in my truck, a 2016 Silverado DRW 3500 Duramax, nearly doubling my capacity to 60 gallons. Nice to have that much on board. Only real issue is the miles till empty is not accurate on the driver info center. I also have considerably more than the 3-5 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on. Didn't see any way to program the truck for the larger tank in the BCM or ECM.
    John and Denise; Houma, LA
    2017 Momentum 395M
    2016 Chevrolet K3500 DRW Diesel

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put one of these in my 1996 Dodge...http://www.aerotanks.com/inventory/d60.html They make Chevy and Ford tanks also.... They did the install... Maybe the best Mod. I did on the truck.... Still have the use of my 8 ft, bed when not Rving.... I fill at about 600 miles, when towing our 230RL which is enough driving for a day..... Once when not towing went from Tampa to Houston without a fill up. Wife still not happy about that.... It's been in the truck 20 years now with no issues.....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regards to the computer reporting fuel level and mileage left, here is my experience with our RAM 300 DRW after having replaced the stock 32-gallon tank with the Titan 55-gallon tank. As soon as I left the dealer's lot I filled up at a fuel stop within a 1/4 mile from the dealer. The fuel level gauge indicated 100% and the miles left display indicated what I experienced with the 32- gallon tank, 240 miles while towing, but as I drove it started increasing to well over 400 miles when it started to decrease and the 100% level remained for 90 plus miles before dropping gradually as I drove further. Not sure if a re-program is available for my truck, but so far it seems to have adjusted on it's own.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Doesn't your F250 have a 48 gal tank from the factory. I have the diesel motor on mine and I have the big tank. It really helps with the range. I don't see myself outdriving the range during a single day.
    No...because it is most likely a short bed. To get the 48 gal tank, it has to be a long bed. Just traded in my 2013 F250 for a 2020 F350 long bed dually. My F250 had a 26-27 gal diesel tank and a GVW of 10,000. For my new fifth wheel, I was over the 10K...got 14K with the F350 long bed and a 48-gallon tank. With the F250...I carried four five-gallon diesel containers in the rear bed. Don't want to run out of fuel with a diesel...or you will need a tow to get the lines purged. Unlike a gas engine.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast