User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Quick aside: there is a TSB out for some of the standard tank trucks. It seems they installed tanks that were smaller capacity than was advertised. I would check it out to make sure your truck is not one of those.
    My 2015 F-250 diesel has only a 28 gallon tank. It’s way too small for towing my 5th wheel. I have carried an extra 5 gal jug just in case. Had to use it once when we couldn’t find diesel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requirements for simple diesel fuel can

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    When I know we will be remote, I have four, 5 gallon fuel cans that I will fill two or all of. Had the in-bed before, never again because of the space and usefulness robbed. I would, however, consider a larger mid-ship tank, especially with seamless factory gauge and trip computer integration, if we were full-time.
    I was thinking of doing something similar. I don't need the capacity and expense of a custom mod and doubling my 29 gallon tank size (2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Limited SRW short bed Mega cab). Plus as SRW I need to be very careful about additional weight. But an extra 5 gallons would give me that peace of mind when the range remaining indicator isn't that accurate (or when worried about a traffic backup at the end of a trip).

I see some of the jugs specifically say for fuel, and some don't (like the VP jugs don't). Some are yellow for Diesel and most are red for gas. Is there really any difference ? Will pay more if it matters, but if it's just labeling I can clearly spraypaint the red jug I already have (and they seem to be cheaper online anyway). Newbie here to Diesel, thanks for your thoughts.

(And at 5 gallons I'll just pour it into the tank with a spout when I need it. It's really more insurance than anything).

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    We have an F-350. Gary bought a 60 gallon Titan diesel tank and had it mounted under the pick up where the 28 gallon diesel tank was. We can now go 800 miles on one full up but he usually fills it again at 1/2 a tank. We travel 300 miles from one camp site to the next only stopping for bathroom breaks.
    It is really great. He no longer worries about getting into a gas station.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dschonfeld View Post
    I see some of the jugs specifically say for fuel, and some don't (like the VP jugs don't).
    You will never have an issue with the VP jugs, they are specifically made for fuel, race fuel especially. I used them for years carrying 110 octane race gas when my daughter and I raced 100 mph go karts all over Texas 15 yrs ago. I bought the green ones for diesel since most diesel pumps use green handles figuring that might help prevent mistakes. The VP jugs are a quality product, you can also buy them at your local motorcycle dealer, very popular for dirt bikers and ATV riders.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traveling with extra fuel

Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    I have a 2016 Ram diesel that came with a 34 gal tank. Went to a 55 gal. Titan installed where the old fuel tank was. Love it.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brent
    I replaced my stock tank with a Titan on my 2016 F250 and 2019 F350. It’s great to know that I can go from campground to campground without stopping for fuel, just bio brakes for my girls. Highly recommend the upgrade. And when I am not tethered to a FW my range goes from 500 to almost 800 miles. Just sucks to fill up.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    No...because it is most likely a short bed. To get the 48 gal tank, it has to be a long bed. Just traded in my 2013 F250 for a 2020 F350 long bed dually. My F250 had a 26-27 gal diesel tank and a GVW of 10,000. For my new fifth wheel, I was over the 10K...got 14K with the F350 long bed and a 48-gallon tank. With the F250...I carried four five-gallon diesel containers in the rear bed. Don't want to run out of fuel with a diesel...or you will need a tow to get the lines purged. Unlike a gas engine.
    Ugh - in that case if I had a small tank like that I'd definitely either get a larger under bed tank or get an auxillary tank in the bed.

I do like the idea of just getting a few extra 5 gal diesel cans though. In my case with 48 gal, that would do the trick which I'm just a little bit anxious about the amount of fuel I have left.

These cans from Harbor Freight look like a good deal @ $20 ea.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63481_I.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	27845
    https://www.harborfreight.com/5-Gall...Can-63481.html
    Last edited by TheLexx; 07-04-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dschonfeld View Post
    I was thinking of doing something similar. I don't need the capacity and expense of a custom mod and doubling my 29 gallon tank size (2017 RAM 3500 Diesel Limited SRW short bed Mega cab). Plus as SRW I need to be very careful about additional weight. But an extra 5 gallons would give me that peace of mind when the range remaining indicator isn't that accurate (or when worried about a traffic backup at the end of a trip).

I see some of the jugs specifically say for fuel, and some don't (like the VP jugs don't). Some are yellow for Diesel and most are red for gas. Is there really any difference ? Will pay more if it matters, but if it's just labeling I can clearly spraypaint the red jug I already have (and they seem to be cheaper online anyway). Newbie here to Diesel, thanks for your thoughts.

(And at 5 gallons I'll just pour it into the tank with a spout when I need it. It's really more insurance than anything).
    Proper containers for diesel are yellow, but I've never seen or heard of a private citizen catch any issue over that. VPs are great! There is no difference in price when buying from the right places. Authentic Jerry cans with flex spouts are hard to beat too. I personally have most recently been carrying Surecans. I've got a red I keep non-ethanol gasoline in for the generators and a yellow diesel. These have been for my lawn and garden equipment, but have been carrying them as my back heals. Can't beat how easy they pour.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my old 2008 F350 (had a cap and pulled a TT) I always traveled with an extra 10 gals of diesel. In the new truck I went with the 90 gal RDS with a aux pump tied to an upfitter switch. Now we only stop when we want to. Really helps avoiding costly fuel stops.
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VP tanks are OK for fuel.
    Emission laws prevent them from being advertised as fuel containers because they have a vent. If labeled for fuel, they cannot have vent and are VERY slow to empty fuel from and a PITA to use.
    Most gas stations near off road areas also carry those "Utility" containers.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast