Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right Turn Signal Trouble

I searched this but found nothing exact.
    Both left and right turn signals were not working when plugged into our vehicle. They worked a month ago. We checked the vehicle fuses and found one broken. We replaced it and the left turn signal worked again but not the right.
    Stumped. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blown fuses for the trailer would point to a wiring problem. If you checked the fuse for the right light with a meter, the next step is to check the light itself.

I’d be guessing your harness got pinched somehow since the left and right lights are separate and independent circuits.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 11-09-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. We will look at that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an intermittent problem with our left rear brake/turn signal. I checked everything and could not find a loose electrical connection anywhere. Well we thought that all of the lights on our trailer were LED and we were wrong. The brake and running lights used regular old fashion light bulbs. I found that the spring mechanism that holds the bulb inplace was so poorly made the bulbs would lose connection. So I replaced both of the rear tail lights on the trailer with LEDs. I found the exact same shape and size lights as the original only they were LED. Try tapping on the offending light to see it it comes on.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    We had an intermittent problem with our left rear brake/turn signal. I checked everything and could not find a loose electrical connection anywhere. Well we thought that all of the lights on our trailer were LED and we were wrong. The brake and running lights used regular old fashion light bulbs. I found that the spring mechanism that holds the bulb inplace was so poorly made the bulbs would lose connection. So I replaced both of the rear tail lights on the trailer with LEDs. I found the exact same shape and size lights as the original only they were LED. Try tapping on the offending light to see it it comes on.
    Thanks! We will check into that. I hope that’s it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have mentioned that you can easily pop the red covers off and check the bulb.

Below is the link from Amazon where I got the LED replacements.

https://www.amazon.com/Optronics-Pro...omotive&sr=1-1

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the link.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking more about your issue and I thought of something else that you can check. It is possible that wire came loose inside the 7 pin plug and shorted out with another wire, causing the fuse to blow. You replaced the fuse but the wire is still loose, so no turn signaling. I've actually seen this happen on a boat trailer.

You can take apart the connector (it should look like the ones below) and make sure that nothing pulled out or came loose.

I hope this helps!

Bob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I've been thinking more about your issue and I thought of something else that you can check. It is possible that wire came loose inside the 7 pin plug and shorted out with another wire, causing the fuse to blow. You replaced the fuse but the wire is still loose, so no turn signaling. I've actually seen this happen on a boat trailer.

You can take apart the connector (it should look like the ones below) and make sure that nothing pulled out or came loose.

I hope this helps!

Bob

That’s a thought. We will check that out. So far we checked everything we can get to. Maybe that’s the trick! Thanks.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Everyone ... I wanted update you on the right turn signal problem we had. We found out that the seven pin plug cord had been pinched and must have broken the wire inside to the right hand turn signal. I figured this out when the cord was pinched again and it cut the cord almost in half. There were three or four wires that were OK but a couple were pinched and completely severed. So we did a fix and we cut the whole cord in half and rewired all the wires to get us where we needed to go ... it worked. Even the right hand turn signal. We will buy a new cord plug when we get back. If not sooner. Thanks for all your help and keep an eye on your seven Pin cord as it can get between the hitch and the trailer when making tight turns and cut it.