User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Residential Refrigerator run time on Batteries

I’m thinking about doing some “Dry Camping” this summer and wondering if anyone else has any experience running a Residential Refrigerator on Inverter and Batteries? I have 2 12 volt deep cycles. I have used it on the road for 8-9 hours with no issues. Just wondering if it would run all nite maybe 10 hours and then how long do you think it will take to charge the Batteries up during the day on a Generator? I have a. 2020 310GKR. Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of variables here. Generally, a fridge draws 6 - 7 amps when running - but triple that for the startup. So, ambient temps and how often the doors are opened and closed really affect the run time and thus current draw. Also, with lead-acid batteries, you only have about half the rated amp-hours before you draw the batteries down far enough to do damage. I'll leave it to someone with more expertise than I have (like @SolarPoweredRV) to chime in with some calculations...

Charging time would depend on how far down the batteries are and the output of your generator coupled with your 55-amp converter/charger.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a kilowatt on Amazon and see how many amp hours it uses over the period. Then you'll have real numbers.

Everyone's usage is different.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvtexskeeter View Post
    I’m thinking about doing some “Dry Camping” this summer and wondering if anyone else has any experience running a Residential Refrigerator on Inverter and Batteries? I have 2 12 volt deep cycles. I have used it on the road for 8-9 hours with no issues. Just wondering if it would run all nite maybe 10 hours and then how long do you think it will take to charge the Batteries up during the day on a Generator? I have a. 2020 310GKR. Thanks in advance
    I have the standard Samsung residential and 200AH of lithium batteries. From about 9pm to 8am I will use about 40% of my available power or about 80AH. We also use some lighting and a CPAP machine over night so its not just the refrigerator.

During the day the power use will go way up with the temperature and going in and out of it. As far as charging I can't help as my system is totally different and I don't know how long deep cycles take to top off. I know they can't charge as fast as lithium's
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 310GKR has a dedicated inverter just for the Refrigerator with a on/off switch inside a cupboard. Don’t think I can power a cpap machine with mine as I can’t find the outlet for it but I’m sure it’s behind the fridge. I have two 3500 predator generators paralleled so I think I can just run one during the day to charge everything back up. It’s going to in the mountains in Colorado so not going to be getting that hot during the day I hope. I keep the Camper at my house so I may do a “trial run” before I leave and see what happens. I also may try to get a watt meter. Thanks all for the help

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 310GKR has a dedicated inverter just for the Refrigerator with a on/off switch inside a cupboard. Don’t think I can power a cpap machine with mine as I can’t find the outlet for it but I’m sure it’s behind the fridge. I have two 3500 predator generators paralleled so I think I can just run one during the day to charge everything back up. It’s going to in the mountains in Colorado so not going to be getting that hot during the day I hope. I keep the Camper at my house so I may do a “trial run” before I leave and see what happens. I also may try to get a watt meter. Thanks all for the help
    Mine was the same way. I just wired in another outlet (actually 3) directly to the inverter. I added one in my mid buck for a cpap, one in the basement for the outdoor TV, and another in the master bedroom for whatever.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is the inverter for the refrigerator on the 310GKR?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On most installations, it's on the ceiling of the battery compartment.

Rob

EDIT: from subsequent posts, it appears that GD changed the location of the inverter sometime after January, 2020, to relocate it behind behind the rear basement wall near the rest of the utilities.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 09-26-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 377, mine was behind the wall in the basement very near the converter
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In mine (note year in signature line) it is behind the basement wall. That is also where the circuit for the frig plugs into the inverter. At least that is my best recollection.

One of the early mods I made was to a 2000 watt inverter/converter feeding a sub panel I installed to most outlets in the RV.

btw.... I have 4 Durracell 6 volts AGMs group CG2 and can get a full day of frig on them when I just leave it unplugged from shore power and not using it (although when I did this a few weeks ago I noticed the voltage dropped to 12.1v, I thought that was a bit low). Otherwise, if I dry camp I run generators 2 to 3 hours in the morning and evening and can go for quite a few days (at least 4 as that is the longest I have dry camped).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast