User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Momentum 397THS questions

Hi all, The GD Momentum 397THS is one of the 3 top of my list for my 3rd RV (I had a Winnebago, and now I have a Scamp). I am still doing some research to understand in more detail similar options. I am not in a rush as I am planning to buy it after Summer, ~Sep-Oct/2024.
    questions now (probably more will come)
    1. what is the difference between the 397TH and the 397THS?
    2. which year this model was launched? any major remodeling/change in the last 3 years?
    3. pros? cons? (about the model)
    4. pros? cons? (about GD in general)
    5. how much value it usually loses in the first 1, 2 and 3 years?
    6. what especially should I check if I find a 1-3 yr old used one?

Looking forward for hearing from you!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps @huntr70 can answer some of your model-specific questions. My only advice would be regarding your tow vehicle. These trailers with put up to 4,600 lbs. on the pin when loaded (the empty pin weights in the advertising are pretty meaningless), so your truck must have adequate payload to handle this. These trailers are firmly in later-model 1-ton, dual rear wheel truck territory.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wosprey View Post
    Hi all, The GD Momentum 397THS is one of the 3 top of my list for my 3rd RV (I had a Winnebago, and now I have a Scamp). I am still doing some research to understand in more detail similar options. I am not in a rush as I am planning to buy it after Summer, ~Sep-Oct/2024.
    2. which year this model was launched? any major remodeling/change in the last 3 years?

1. Different bedroom/bathroom configuration.
    2. 2016
    5. 15%, averages 8-10 after. Follows JD Power market values...
    6. New ones have more features, ABS brakes, etc. Otherwise, not much has changed. Look for same things as any other pre-owned unit.
    Last edited by huntr70; 02-12-2024 at 09:00 AM.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been researching these as well and really like the floor plan.

I believe he S on THS stands for second edition. Meaning there were some minor changes with one significant being an extra foot was added to the garage to make it 13'6". Also in late 2022 models they changed the oven to full size 4 burner stove and oven. In 23, they changed the layout of the bathroom up frint to a 2 door style moving the position of the toilet and vanity.

A THR model would have a residential fridge which is preferable to many who always use full hook ups.

I think they launched in 2016.

Heavy pin weight and very large are 2 cons.

Very large is a pro if you like a dinette (if you don't get a supersofa) and have toys.

All of the above may not be 100% accurate. Others that have them or know more will chime in soon I am sure.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to add to the above info....if I'm not mistaken, the original 397TH first appeared for the model year 2016. And take Second Chance's recommendation very seriously about the pin weight on that model. Fully loaded up to the GVWR of 20K lbs, can put the pin in the @4500 lbs range.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you all

thank you! helped a lot. the Momentum is top of my list. I will target a 2023 with the dinette, top bed in the garage, king bed and few other items. a late 2022 with the full size stove/oven can be an option if there is any with light wood - all I found so far have a dark wood that I donÂ’t like.

I found two 2024 with the configuration I want but they are pretty expensive (~$40k above the 2023) and far from WA.

any advice on best way to estimate transportation cost to bring the trailer to WA?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    I have been researching these as well and really like the floor plan.

I believe he S on THS stands for second edition. Meaning there were some minor changes with one significant being an extra foot was added to the garage to make it 13'6". Also in late 2022 models they changed the oven to full size 4 burner stove and oven. In 23, they changed the layout of the bathroom up frint to a 2 door style moving the position of the toilet and vanity.

A THR model would have a residential fridge which is preferable to many who always use full hook ups.

I think they launched in 2016.

Heavy pin weight and very large are 2 cons.

Very large is a pro if you like a dinette (if you don't get a supersofa) and have toys.

All of the above may not be 100% accurate. Others that have them or know more will chime in soon I am sure.

Oldcow
    Considering to buy a Momentum 397THS later this year
    Currently own a Scamp 16’ and a Tesla Model Y
    Full time since Nov-23

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you! helped a lot. the Momentum is top of my list. I will target a 2023 with the dinette, top bed in the garage, king bed and few other items. a late 2022 with the full size stove/oven can be an option if there is any with light wood - all I found so far have a dark wood that I donÂ’t like.

I found two 2024 with the configuration I want but they are pretty expensive (~$40k above the 2023) and far from WA.

any advice on best way to estimate transportation cost to bring the trailer to WA?
    Sorry I can't help you there.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.tomschaeffers.com/produc...s-r-1810436-26

I pay about $1700 to get delivered from Indiana to Eastern PA. I use Indiana Transport.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! You've come to the right place! Members here are phenomenal in helping others. We bought our 2022 397TH new in 2022. I think one of the differences in ours and the THS is the second door in the bathroom. What we didn't like about that model, was the lack of storage in the bathroom for towels, toiletries, etc. We do like the extra room in the garage and love the dinette. I do wish we had more countertop space around the stove area versus the tall window near the pantry. Other than that, I can't think of any other cons for us. As Rob stated, be mindful of the kind of TV needed to safely pull/stop it. Even with our DRW, we definitely know it's back there.

Have fun shopping and keep us posted on what you decide.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello wosprey, welcome to the forum,
    We have a 2019 397TH, it has been a real good unit, just a few items that we personally changed. About our only complaint with the 397 model is lack of seating in the main living area. We love the size of the garage, when using it to haul, it accommodates two motorcycles very nicely and we use the tailgate as a patio everywhere we go. I wish we had the residential fridge, the electric/propane does work good though. We do like the new units with the extra work area alongside the range and how the bedroom slide goes out further than the older units. The dual gas tanks are nice but beware of filling the front tank all the way as it is used for the generator only unless GD has since put in the transfer valve. We now only fill the rear tank and put about 5 gallons in the front tank to run the generator. We don't do any boondocking, but the generator has come in handy when and if the rv park losses power. We would have bought the 376 as we love the room the front living area has but we did not due to the small garage. Last summer we took a trip from Minnesota to the west side of Colorado, it pulled very nice with having two motorcycles in the back that added another 1400 pounds to the unit. Our 2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ dually with the gas engine pulled the mountains just fine, actually better than I expected. So, in answering your questions, here goes.....
    1-Sorry, don't know the answer to that one
    2-2016. Major noticeable changes are: New one: bathroom layout change and access door from the bedroom, bed slide goes out further than older units, loss of storage next to bed due to 2nd door for bathroom, bedroom closet layout change with washer/dryer hook up in the center, kitchen layout changed with the larger range and more counter area next to the range, buffet is different.
    3-Pros: we like the large layout, good sleeping area for extra people (we have daughter, her husband and two grandkids that stay in our unit), love all the awnings for shade in the summer and to protect in the rain while grilling, good basement storage
    Cons: (and this is all personal feelings) - lack of seating in the main living area, no window in the side garage door, wish there was a place under the steps to store shoes when coming in the main door, garage electrical not on the Lippert "MyRV/OneControl" control panel, no light under the upper bunk to illuminate the table when using the garage area for eating or playing games at night (I added one, really lights the table nicely)
    4-Nothing bad to say about GD. They have been there for us with anything we needed, service support has been awesome.
    5-Best to check Kelly Blue Book to see the comparison
    6-Check for signs of water damage in the basement area, we have had a couple leaks there. Make sure all of the "MyRV/OneControl" touch screen functions work along with the several manual switches in the main area, bedroom area and the water pump switch at the Nautilus panel.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by bjas1001; 02-22-2024 at 07:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast