User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using a SuperGlide for about 15 years. It is a heavy fella for sure. I use an electric winch from Harbor Freight to move it in and out of the truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HF Hoist.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	49912

We are empty nesters now so no young backs around to help anymore.

I'l love to have a lighter hitch but not not enough to risk an expensive repair.
    The peace of mind of the SG is worth it to me.
    Just my 2 cents.

Safe travels!
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I use a B&W Companion. Non slider. I have a short box Dodge truck. Never had an issue. I can jack knife 90*. I've never had to, but I tested it after hitch installation.
    I'm having a really hard time understanding this. By a 90° jackknife, you mean an "L" shape correct?

On a short bed Ram, a B&W Companion will put the pin over the rear axle. The rear axle on a 2018 3500 short bed is about 37" behind the cab. The RV is at least 48" wide on either side of the pin. A 90" jackknife will put the corner of the RV 11" (48 - 37) into the cab. With a Solitude or Momentum, the RV is 51" on either side of the pin so you would be 14" into the cab at 90°. Either I'm missing something or you live near Hogwarts.

I'm not familiar with the Silverado short bed. It may have more distance between the back of the cab and the pin location but probably not more than a couple of inches. The math is simple. Measure from the back, center of the cab to the center of the pin location. Take 1/2 of the RV width. Subtract the former from the latter. That is the minimum rearward movement you'll need for a 90° jackknife. With a 6.5 ft. bed, I guessing you will need a slider with at least 12" of rearward movement to get to 90° safely.

And yes, this applies to forward movement as well as backing if you ever have to make a tight turn to get out of a tight spot. With our short bed Ram and Solitude, the sharpest we could turn without a slider is 40°. This is dependent upon the shape of the RV nose. If you want to see the CAD drawing, I can provide it.
    Last edited by Tom Traveler; 03-05-2024 at 06:56 PM.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    On a short bed Ram, a B&W Companion will put the pin over the rear axle.
    It can, but doesn't have to. Mine is behind the axle. I'm all apart right now. I'll test it again in the spring..see if I'm shy of 90
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can, but doesn't have to. Mine is behind the axle. I'm all apart right now. I'll test it again in the spring..see if I'm shy of 90
    That helps. I hope I never have to get to 90 because of the stress on tires and axles. I am relatively new at this and have nightmares about having to turn out of a dead end or away from a low bridge. I have had to get very angled backing into tight RV park spaces.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    That helps. I hope I never have to get to 90 because of the stress on tires and axles. I am relatively new at this and have nightmares about having to turn out of a dead end or away from a low bridge. I have had to get very angled backing into tight RV park spaces.
    Well I looking back at the years and thinking installed the hitch in 2018...I had a Titanium fifth wheel at the time...but pretty sure the trailers are the same width?
    The only time I have extreme angled my trailer is turning it around in my driveway, but it's a gravel driveway. It's very obvious the rear tire leaning under the trailer and the lead tire leaning out (sidewall flex) and you can see them scrubbing on the gravel. I would be reluctant to do it on pavement. I have since devised a better method of turning the trailer around on our dead end street.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2600RB View Post
    I disagree. We towed a 35ft fifth wheel with our current 3/4 ton regular (short) bed with a super glide hitch and had no issues.
    Rich
    I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with....that's pretty much what I said.

I have used the Pullrite Super Glide when I had a short bed, and still use a Pullrite Super5th in my long bed.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I looking back at the years and thinking installed the hitch in 2018...I had a Titanium fifth wheel at the time...but pretty sure the trailers are the same width?
    The only time I have extreme angled my trailer is turning it around in my driveway, but it's a gravel driveway. It's very obvious the rear tire leaning under the trailer and the lead tire leaning out (sidewall flex) and you can see them scrubbing on the gravel. I would be reluctant to do it on pavement. I have since devised a better method of turning the trailer around on our dead end street.
    Titanium's out of Canada had the unique front cap which went up over the bed and cab, and also were V cut in the front.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Titanium's out of Canada had the unique front cap which went up over the bed and cab, and also were V cut in the front.
    Yes you are correct. Might be getting my trailers mixed up as to when I was close to jack knifing.

Do you know if any manufacturers are still producing that rather unique design?
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are correct. Might be getting my trailers mixed up as to when I was close to jack knifing.

Do you know if any manufacturers are still producing that rather unique design?
    Heartland had bought the copyright to that design after Titanium closed. They built a year or 2 of that design then canned it. Haven't seen it for a few years now.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull our 2017 Reflection 337RLS with a 2017 F350 CCSB using a B&W Companion manual slider for the Ford puck system. I can get about 75 degrees before I start to get nervous on level ground in the travel position. I can make a 90 degree turn with the steering wheel to the lock, but I can't make a U-Turn without getting it in my worry zone.

The slider goes back when entering a campground, and goes into travel position when leaving. No worries.

I had a friend who slightly dented his short bed Chevy when backing into a tight spot. (Different camper, also)

IMHO, the OP has a good system that I considered, but was concerned about hitching and unhitching with sharp truck/camper angles. And the B&W slider is no lightweight........I use an engine hoist to maneuver my hitch in and out.

The OP could try a Reese Revolution or the Andersen, but to set up the Andersen in the rear position it moves the pivot point behind the axle, removing some weight from the front axle...........the reasons we pull 5th wheels instead of bumper pull campers.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast