User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ideal Rig

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ideal Rig

If you could design a trailer what would look like? I've been thinking a lot lately about what the ideal rig design would be for me, and I believe I know what it would be. Here goes:

For me, I'd like to see a 43 ft toy hauler, but designed similar to a Reflection 337 floor plan layout + 8 feet. What I mean is with an 8' garage, 1 bath (top of the stairs) + a water closet (just the toilet, no sink) in the garage--not behind the television. Here's why: The 8 ft garage would double as a study for working from home, and could house exercise equipment. It could likely transport an ATV, but that's not my jam. Having a spare bed back there for when one of my kids visit is nice as well. The water closet not being behind the TV would give a similar rear living feel to what I currently enjoy in a 337, which I REALLY like. This would also afford the ability to have a swivel recliner in the back of the living room beside the doorway.

One other thing I would fix is the location of the entertainment center relative to the sink. It's always annoyed me that I had to wash dishes with the TV behind me...

Anyway, that's how I'd describe my ideal rig based on 2 years of full time experience. What would yours look like?
    Last edited by chemist308; 03-28-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typos
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    If you could design a trailer what would look like? I've been thinking a lot lately about what the ideal rig design would be for me, and I believe I know what it would be. Here goes:

For me, I'd like to see a 43 ft toy hauler, but designed similar to a Reflection 337 floor plan layout + 8 feet. What I mean is with an 8' garage, 1 bath (top of the stairs) + a water closet (just the toilet, no sink) in the garage--not behind the television. Here's why: The 8 ft garage would double as a study for working from home, and could house exercise equipment. It could likely transport an ATV, but that's not my jam. Having a spare bed back there for when one of my kids visit is nice as well. The water closet not being behind the TV would give a similar rear living feel to what I currently enjoy in a 337, which I REALLY like. This would also afford the ability to have a swivel recliner in the back of the living room beside the doorway.

One other thing I would fix is the location of the entertainment center relative to the sink. It's always annoyed me that I had to wash dishes with the TV behind me...

Anyway, that's how I'd describe my ideal rig based on 2 years of full time experience. What would yours look like?
    I was looking at your state map and wondered how the heck you missed Virginia. The state and county campgrounds ( my preference ) are among the nicest and well run as any I have seen. The scenery and topology is very diverse. From the coast at Virginia Beach, the Eastern and Western shores of the Chesapeake, the Shenandoah Valley and into the Allegheny mountains of the Washington & Jefferson National Forests it shares with West Virginia.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 03-28-2020 at 05:46 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Wicked ace it’s really just due to a difference in how I full time. I’m a consultant and got sick of hotels and temporary apartments. So I moved into a RV about 2 years ago. I’d love to take some time between gigs and enjoy nature like that. I’ve lived in south western PA and am well aware of the beauty those places have to offer.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideal rig? That's an interesting question. I've thought about that a lot lately. Our decision to go full time is very similar to yours. I travel for work as well and I have learned to hate hotels and having to drag all my stuff from place to place, etc. So having the rig that fits you is very important.

Our needs are slightly different than yours so our ideal would obviously be a little different, but... We love our 300GK and we are currently modifying it to make a better fit. We removed the sofa bed and built a desk where it was. We took out the dinette table and replaced it with a smaller table for two. The next step will be removing the fireplace and entertainment center to build more cabinets and a slide out table for two. We never have visitors, so there is no need for seating or sleeping more than the two of us.

Before we bought the Solitude I actually considered building my own fifth wheel because we couldn't find what we wanted. I spent a lot of time drawing floor plans trying to visualize what would work for us.

I think when our rig is finished, we should show it to GD and suggest they build the "310EN" (empty nester)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have been thru 2 "rigs" in 16 months .... we are clearly slow learners .... the 2930 we bought based on floor plan is perfect .... the design I would like is picking more of what is installed in the rig .... workmanship and quality would be improved front to back top to bottom ... I realize cost would go way up .... when we built our house we started with a base plan and at the completion we had 87 change orders ... not going to happen with this cookie cutter RV industry .... but you can and will make the changes to customize your rig ... my list starts with more than 1 cup holder on my theater seats yes I am very demanding and I will move forward from there .... but base floor plan is fantastic... later Frank
    Frank & Cindy --- S Class Solitude 2930RL-R ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed---Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies ---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500--Backflip MX4---48 days 2019---51 days camped 2020---***Payload 4394***

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a 2016 380TH Momentum toy hauler. It had a nice garage, but the living room was small, with a large tv. The 376TH came out almost the day we took delivery on our 380TH.
    For us, it is close to the perfect rig. The 374TH-R came out and we looked at the 376 and the 374 Solitude many, many time. We didn't need the big gas generator or the fuel tanks, so the 374TH with a nicer decor became the rig we wanted.
    It has a REAL living room. The kitchen / dining room is easy for 2 people to be moving around at the same time and the bedroom is small,but has lots of storage, with a walk-around bed. The garage could be 2 inches longer ( the 2013 Victory XCT is a long, big motorcycle ) but works. The garage does not take away from the living space like our 380TH did.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    a water closet (just the toilet, no sink)
    Eeeek! I'd shake your hand to congratulate you for starting an interesting thread but...

Grand Design got the jump on my design... the 390RK ticks a lot of my boxes. Separating the kitchen is great. Giving it way more storage is good, although we honestly do just fine in the 310GK, room to spare, but in the 390 we wouldn't as often have to lift something out to get to something underneath/behind it. Big open living space for sitting around with family and friends, and floor space for cribs and sleeping bags, etc., that come with families. Amazing storage underneath and a lot of it *behind* the axles instead of forward towards the pin. Bigger bathroom, better shower.

It's a winner but for the very low cargo carrying capacity, especially with all the storage space encouraging us to carry more stuff. Also, if it was ideal it would be easier to put a golf cart in the back, but again the CCC is a concern with that.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always interesting to me to here everyone's ideas on the perfect trailer. My 375 really rings all the bells for me. Love the big living room, plenty of room in the kitchen/dinette area for full timing, and the king bed that you can still walk around is great. My wish list for it is just two items, a residential fridge and more carrying capacity. I will have the fridge and the MorRyde IS and disc brakes installed by this time next year for sure. I've looked at every Solitude floorplan and the 375RES is my favorite.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    It's always interesting to me to here everyone's ideas on the perfect trailer. My 375 really rings all the bells for me. Love the big living room, plenty of room in the kitchen/dinette area for full timing, and the king bed that you can still walk around is great. My wish list for it is just two items, a residential fridge and more carrying capacity. I will have the fridge and the MorRyde IS and disc brakes installed by this time next year for sure. I've looked at every Solitude floorplan and the 375RES is my favorite.
    Yeah, it doesn't suck. Looking at its floorplan again just now reminded me of a big negative in the 390RK: it doesn't have a dining table. Just a little counter that's just big enough for only two to eat together, and not big enough for two to work together. That's a big negative for us.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see a toyhauler, but with a side load system that's only big enough for 1 motorcycle across the back. I just don't want to drag around an extra 10 to 15 ft of trailer for 1 bike when the rear 4 to 4.5 ft is plenty. Above the bike could even be storage accessed from inside.
    Travel Safe,

Mike, Rhonda & Reuben the dog
    '20 Reflection 303RLS
    '20 F-250
    '98 Mustang GT Convertible
    Some other unimportant stuff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast