User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convenience Center / Control Panel Fuse Blowing - Water Heater Controls not Working

After I retracted the slide outs, the 7.5 amp fuse for the convenience center / control panel blew out. I'm still able to operate the slides, water pump and all lights associated with the panel, but not my water heater or tank gauges. I've tried replacing the fuse, but any fuse I've tried to install blew instantly. So there's a short somewhere.

After talking with GD customer service, I've pulled the convenience center off the wall, and pulled the front off the breaker / fuse panel. I'm not seeing any disconnected or loose wires that might cause a short.

Who else has had this issue? Perhaps those that have gone through this before might point me the right direction to troubleshoot it.

Also, I was thinking to replace the illuminated switches for my water heater--maybe they're the issue. Anybody know a make / part number so I can source these.

Please help--cold showers REALLY suck!
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did it only happen after operating the slide switch? Maybe completely disconnect the slide switch and then replace the fuse. If it doesnt blow it's a good indication the slide switch is the problem. Either that or get a meter and start disconnecting everything and checking if you have power where it doesn't belong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Did it only happen after operating the slide switch? Maybe completely disconnect the slide switch and then replace the fuse. If it doesnt blow it's a good indication the slide switch is the problem. Either that or get a meter and start disconnecting everything and checking if you have power where it doesn't belong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Actually the slide switch has nothing to do with it. The slides work great, and their fuses have remained in tact. The water heater switches don't work. So I'll try the water heater switches. Also, does anybody have an idea how to pull wires from the tank gauge indicators on the control panel? That's another potential source as when I tried to use the tank gauges, the indicators lit for a fraction of a second then went dead.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    After I retracted the slide outs, the 7.5 amp fuse for the convenience center / control panel blew out. I'm still able to operate the slides, water pump and all lights associated with the panel, but not my water heater or tank gauges. I've tried replacing the fuse, but any fuse I've tried to install blew instantly. So there's a short somewhere.

After talking with GD customer service, I've pulled the convenience center off the wall, and pulled the front off the breaker / fuse panel. I'm not seeing any disconnected or loose wires that might cause a short.

Who else has had this issue? Perhaps those that have gone through this before might point me the right direction to troubleshoot it.

Also, I was thinking to replace the illuminated switches for my water heater--maybe they're the issue. Anybody know a make / part number so I can source these.

Please help--cold showers REALLY suck!
    I have a 2020 337 and I just checked my 7.5 amp fuse that is labeled convience center and when I pull the fuse my battery and tank lights also do not work. This fuse also has the blue lights under the bedroom slide and the lights over the bed. Check your lights over the bed and the blue lights outside under the bed slide. If they do not work you need to fix the wires under your bed slide. You have to pull the false floor out of the under bed storage. If all the wires are pulled apart and you don’t know which ones to connect then you need to take all the plywood off the bed and under the plywood at the head of the bed you will be able to see which wires go to the blue lights and which go to your over bed lights. When I put mine back together I ran the wires under part of the carpet to keep them from catching on the bottom of the bed slide.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Always Learning, the bed slide reading lights stopped working a while back when I pulled the slide to go dump my tanks. GD customer service was telling me they're not related to that breaker. But you know what, on your suggestion, I just went outside and checked the blue under-slide lights on the bed slide. They worked before my last trip even when the reading lights did not. However, they do not work now. Thanks!

What all is involved in accessing that wiring?
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    @Always Learning, the bed slide reading lights stopped working a while back when I pulled the slide to go dump my tanks. GD customer service was telling me they're not related to that breaker. But you know what, on your suggestion, I just went outside and checked the blue under-slide lights on the bed slide. They worked before my last trip even when the reading lights did not. However, they do not work now. Thanks!

What all is involved in accessing that wiring?
    On mine the blue outside lights stopped working shortly after we got the trailer then months later the bed lights stopped working but I never had the fuse blow because the wires pulled apart but did not short out.

How to fix.
    Remove the mattress.
    Empty the underbed storage area.
    Remove the false floor to the storage area. I removed the bed decking plywood but I think you can remove the false floor without removing the plywood.
    Under the false floor you will see the wires. The way GD puts the wires in it is only a matter of time before they get ripprd apart.

If you can tell which wires to splice back together then you are good. All of my wires were pulled apart so I did not know which wires to attach together. I had to pull the front plywood bed decking off to see which wires went to the blue lights and which wires went to the bed lights. When you put it back together you need to figure out a way to keep the slide from ripping the wires apart again. I slit the carpet and ran the wires under part of the rug then screwed them down with zip ties. Run your slide in and out while you have it apart to make sure your fix works. This is one of those things where the person building the trailer just slaps it in there and yours might have the wires run different than mine. The good news is if the wires rip apart againg you know what it is and there is nothing major that will happen except blow the fuse. I did not care about the bed lights but took it apart because I was concerned that the slideout might be impacted but no, just the lights. Not a hard fix but kind of a pain.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of my diagrams based off of klenger's in the ref library.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 317RST AC-DC Fuse Panel.pdf   317RST Convenience Ctr 2020-09-10a.pdf   317RST Water Pump to Convenience Ctr 2020-09-10.pdf  
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We fixed it. Thanks @Always Learning. The reason the water heater switches stopped working, the over-bed reading lights stopped working, and the blue bed slide lights stopped working was indeed the wiring under the bed.

To find and correct the problem, we removed the false floor under the bed. This was simply done by lifting the bed to reveal the false floor of the storage area, removing 3 screws, and lifting out the floor plywood. We discovered wires which had 2 wire ties torn off. The problem was obvious as shown below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AB862ED-E970-44FE-8365-483C5687CB65.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	29457

The cause was seen when we retracted the bed slide with that false floor out. The back wall of the under-bed storage area was scraping over the wire ties and tearing at them with each retraction and extension. I believe all GD bed slide units would be likely to have this issue.

What I did was pull the disconnected wires out of the zip tie loop holding them, cut the frayed ends off, and then re-strip a short section of wire cover off of each wire. Then, I twisted the striped wires together, and the solid white wires together. Each was then tied with a wire nut and some electrical tape around the wire and wire nut, as shown below:

Name:	9C88B130-CE7B-481D-B510-5E8B7BFA43E3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	29458

I then re-attached the wires to the floor using a zip tie and a screw--we cut the loose end of the zip tie off after screwing it down--as shown below:

Name:	25242C4E-E9F0-44A3-8119-56456BB7D841.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	29459

As soon as that was done, I was able to install a new fuse. without it blowing out. But that wasn't going to be enough to prevent a recurrence. This happened before, and if we didn't improve something, it was likely to happen again. So we came up with the idea of putting a ski over the wire ties to allow the under-bed storage back wall to glide smoothly over the wire ties. We used a flexible plastic cutting board because we no longer needed it and had one on hand. We screwed it down to the floor close to the wires and all the way around to allow the bed slide to pass smoothly over it. See below for a photo of that.

Name:	C260B77F-F078-4E6E-AAC5-E7A364112DC7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	29460

With that done we re-installed the false floor in the under-bed storage area. The water heater, tank monitors, overhead bed lights and outdoor blue bed slide lights all work now.
    Last edited by chemist308; 09-12-2020 at 06:05 AM.
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good you got it fixed.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello! I am having the same issue where the blue lights under the bedroom slide and reading lights no longer work. When I remove the false floor under the bed this is the mess I have. Any help with what wires to with what would be helpful.

Thank you.

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	41194Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	41194