User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Trailer, No Grease in Hubs?

Okay, this is weird. My trailer is new. The tag on my 3500# Lippert axles indicates it was built in June 2021. I removed a wheel today and happened to pull the rubber grease cap off and see no indication that there is any grease in the hub. I'm very familiar with greasing and replacing trailer hubs, bearings, races, seals, etc. as I've had numerous trailers (travel, boat, utility, etc.). These look very similar to any that I've maintained in the past but the documentation that came with the trailer doesn't include anything about the axles.

When I look in grease cap it looks absolutely clean and dry. I get no grease on my finger when I feel around inside the cap. I do see what looks like a spring. Is this a new type of hub where I shouldn't expect to see any grease? Typically, I would pump grease in until the old stuff starts coming out and I can see the new stuff pass through. It's usually a mess but this one is absolutely clean. What gives? I'll be checking the other three as well before heading across country, but thought I'd ask before I do anything. I don't want to add more grease if I'm not supposed to. Thanks!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO, but if this were my trailer, I'd pull at least one hub, and check thoroughly for grease. This is one of those things that can happen, and if they are indeed dry, then they were hauled from the factory dry, and any more distance will exacerbate the problem. You really need to check it all, or take it some place, close, and have it done.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    JMO, but if this were my trailer, I'd pull at least one hub, and check thoroughly for grease. This is one of those things that can happen, and if they are indeed dry, then they were hauled from the factory dry, and any more distance will exacerbate the problem. You really need to check it all, or take it some place, close, and have it done.
    Thanks. I think I'll do some more inspection this week. We pulled it home from IL to MN when we purchased it. But only made one trip since, which was about 200 miles round trip. I have a TPMS with temp sensors and saw nothing unusual there. Didn't notice anything obvious while traveling. Seems very strange.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya..strange. I can't imagine a completely dry bearing not overheating on your initial drive home. Maybe there is some in there...just not enough to see/feel?
    If it were me. I'd be taking all four apart. Certainly wouldn't be dragging it anywhere until I was sure the bearings have enough grease.
    When we picked up our 2021 last year I could see a good amount of grease on all four outer wheel bearings. If you couldn't see grease...there wasn't enough.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 11-15-2021 at 05:22 PM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Ya..strange. I can't imagine a completely dry bearing not overheating on your initial drive home. Maybe there is some in there...just not enough to see/feel?
    If it were me. I'd be taking all four apart. Certainly wouldn't be dragging it anywhere until I was sure the bearings have enough grease.
    When we picked up our 2021 last year I could see a good amount of grease on all four outer wheel bearings. If you couldn't see grease...there wasn't enough.
    Okay, will definitely take all four apart and have a looksee. Good to confirm at least someone could see the grease on theirs so I'm not completely off my rocker. I also have to imagine there is some in there. I could spin the wheel freely and didn't sound like grinding at all or anything unusual. I'll pull the dust caps and hubs to see what's up on all of them. Slightly disappointing. May have saved the day just by chance.

I only pulled the wheel because they must have had a blow out when delivering to the dealership; I have three Goodyear Endurance tires and one Carlisle. And the spare is some brand I haven't heard of (Castle, I think?), so I'm getting those two replaced with Goodyears before we head to FL in a few weeks. If I hadn't pulled the wheel off I wouldn't have thought to check the hub at all until maintenance time in the Spring.
    Chad

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is surprising not to see at least some at the dust cap. A properly packed bearing is not overwhelmed with grease either, but neither Lippert or Dexter are known for use of a sticky grease... I agree with checking them but get a new set of grease seals before you get into it... I'm surprised to hear of a return of Lippert axles too so be sure to confirm what you have before buying seals.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @geotex1
    Is it possible Lippert went to a sealed nev'r'lube type of bearing arrangement?
    I had that style of bearing in my 2006 Titanium 5'er.
    @Riverbug
    If you take off a hub and the bearings don't easily fall out so to speak, you may have pressed in sealed bearings. Just mentioning because you don't want to try and tap them out with a hammer. they are pressed in. I don't think they use this style anymore, but, maybe?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lippert and Dexter use the same seal on their 3500# (and Dexter 4400#) axles, the generic number is a 10-19 double lipped seal.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently removed one of my brake drums due to the brake assembly failure and found a similar situation with a lack of bearing grease. I didn't see any grease until I removed the drum and bearing and then it didn't appear to be enough grease but there was some. But then I was reading here how excessive grease can find it's way onto the brake shoes causing problems. So I'm wondering how much grease is enough.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I recently removed one of my brake drums due to the brake assembly failure and found a similar situation with a lack of bearing grease. I didn't see any grease until I removed the drum and bearing and then it didn't appear to be enough grease but there was some. But then I was reading here how excessive grease can find it's way onto the brake shoes causing problems. So I'm wondering how much grease is enough.
    Interesting to know. I won't be able to look further into mine until Thursday now. In my experience, the only time I have had grease get into the drum is when a seal went bad. Even then it wasn't much. On my tandem axle boat trailer, you typically load up the grease so that there is less chance of water getting to the bearings. It can force some grease out the rubber cap when the wheel heats up but I haven't experienced that too much either. I would say a little too much is better than a little too little. Really interested to see what I find...
    Chad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast