User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of tire life expectancy, I was surprised yesterday when I purchased 4 new Goodyear Endurance ST's that they have NO warranty coverage, i.e. road hazard, tread life, etc. Dealer told me it's because they're rv trailer tires but when pressed, he couldn't come up with a better excuse than that! Would be an interesting discussion if one of them let go within a short time of them being on the trailer. That would likely determine just how good the Goodyear corporation is.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2018 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4

"The simplest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using TST's monitoring system for about 12 years now, and in fact just upgraded to a newer model. The only blowout I ever had (quality US made LT tire) on the trailer happened spontaneously with no alert form the tpms. I still would not travel without it.

I agree, it's really hard to take off tires that still look good. We have to remember that unlike vehicles that are used every day, out trailer tires sit for long periods in the same position. Also, the adhesives that are used in the construction start deteriorating on day 1. It all comes down to a personal decision, but the question continues to generate good discussions.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    I read that it's ideal to change trailer tires every 4 years. This year will be our 4th season on the G rated OEM Westlakes. 2019 Date codes. Approx 6K miles on them. The camper stays indoors/heated year round, except when camping. There is no cracking on the tires and the wear looks very good/minimal. I was going to pull the wheels and grease the bearings next week and put he TPS in the wheels as long as they were off. Got me to thinking how much longer I should run on these tires? What's everyone's thoughts on this? I usually error on the side of caution, but in this case I feel maybe I can extend the replacement due to the storage conditions. I realize most campers are exposed to the elements year round which significantly shortens the lifespan of tires.

Attachment 41528

Attachment 41529

Attachment 41530
    Well for me, it comes down to insurance. The cost of a blow-out based on the damage to the body, wiring, etc can be very high, not to mention other bad things :-(. For this reason, I replace my tires after 3-years of use, period. For me, based on the cost of 4 new Goodyears being around $600 or so when I replaced them 1.5 years ago, I consider it the cheapest insurance I can buy. If I wait every 5 like a lot of people recommend, that's two tire replacements after year 10, which would be $1200, the $600 more I pay over a 10-year period is short money based on the massive higher dollar risk.

The peace of mind alone is worth $60/year.
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyBell View Post
    I read that it's ideal to change trailer tires every 4 years. This year will be our 4th season on the G rated OEM Westlakes. 2019 Date codes. Approx 6K miles on them. The camper stays indoors/heated year round, except when camping. There is no cracking on the tires and the wear looks very good/minimal. I was going to pull the wheels and grease the bearings next week and put he TPS in the wheels as long as they were off. Got me to thinking how much longer I should run on these tires? What's everyone's thoughts on this? I usually error on the side of caution, but in this case I feel maybe I can extend the replacement due to the storage conditions. I realize most campers are exposed to the elements year round which significantly shortens the lifespan of tires.

Attachment 41528

Attachment 41529

Attachment 41530
    I had 3-4 yr old westlakes on my previous M327 toyhauler. Cost me $1,600 in trailer damage and two separate days roadside changing blowouts to spare, when I had two blowouts on the same trip whole in Wyoming country with two victory m/c’s on in the tail. This was pre-covid cost back on 2018.. Fortunately, damage was cosmetic plus some coraplast damage that some duck tape and some time at a Wyoming hardware store to make some larger coraplast holding brackets solved to continue the trip and get back home to the east coast. Your situation may not be the same but just sharing my experience. Replaced with heavier grade tires. Shoulda replaced the westlakes as others have also commented on concerning their build quality. Just sharing.
    Darryl
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540 GK-R; former was: 2016 Momentum 327M
    2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab DRW, Cummins TD, Aisin, 4.10 rear,
    B&W Companion puck, RDS 60gal aux tank gravity feed

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    This is the truth
    Everyone blames the tire and all the blame falls back on the operator
    The one and only reason Westlakes are “known” is because they likely outsell all the others combined
    If Sailun had as many tires on the road as westlakes they would be “known” as well
    These tire debates are so nauseating
    Imo use what you want and feel good about and leave it at that
    The Westlakes that are "known" are the E rated, not the G's, which have a very good reputation from what I can gather.

I have "G" Westlakes on my 2020 Solitude and have had zero problems with them.

That being said, I am replacing them with Sailuns next week.
    2020 Solitude 382WB-R
    2020 F-350 Lariat CC DRW 6.7 Powerstroke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced my tires yesterday. We have a 2018 337RLS Reflection. The Westlake tires had over 20,000 miles on them but did not wear evenly. I had to buy a new tire last year so I moved the "new" spare to the side opposite the side where I put the new tire so that I would have a new tire on each side. We had one tire throw tread 2 days ago causing damage to the underliner. I replaced the OEM tires with a full set (4) of Hercules 14 ply tires.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiejack75 View Post
    The Westlakes that are "known" are the E rated, not the G's, which have a very good reputation from what I can gather.

I have "G" Westlakes on my 2020 Solitude and have had zero problems with them.

That being said, I am replacing them with Sailuns next week.
    Yea, pretty sure a lot of these responses are about the E rated tire which is nowhere near as good as the G

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 295rl and have the Westlakes. We went out for July long weekend and as usual the week before I went through everything and this was our first trip of the year. Checked the tires for wear/cracking and adjust tire pressures and all 4 tires were less than 5 psi from rated pressure.
    Coming home we lost the tread off the LR drivers side tire! As soon as it came apart I stopped and the tire was still at rated pressure, was just missing the tread!
    All four tires appeared to be in excellent condition with no signs at all of an impending failure!!
    I was planning on replacing tires next spring, but that is going to get pushed up now since I canÂ’t trust any of the other tires now!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Imagine had Westlakes on it. We had a blow out after 2 years and about 3000 miles. They looked fine and were properly inflated. I replaced all including the spare with Goodyear Endurance tires. I read too many horror stories with the Westlakes. I'm still waiting for the replacement parts to fix my RV after 5 months.
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same concerns. I have a 2019 solitude with G rated west lakes. This is my 4th season on them. I’m not sure if I should replace as a preventative measure this year or hold off for 1 more. From what I’ve read G rated westlakes are better? My other problems is I can’t find anyone to come out and change them and RV dealerships are so backed up.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast