User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understood the theory of the SoftStart. But I was curious of the current draw from Terrys pic. That was individual run amps? You have well over 4000W combined. Predator is 3500 max and about 3100 continuous.

I run my Predator in ESC and the initial turn on of the AC drags my volts down and the TV kicks off. I am hoping the SoftStart will alleviate that. Running in ESC really maximizes my fuel economy.

Lastly I want to apologize to the OP for kinda totally hijacking the original intent of this post. It wasn’t our intent at all, it just happened. There is some great information in this thread.

Randy
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    I understood the theory of the SoftStart. But I was curious of the current draw from Terrys pic. That was individual run amps? You have well over 4000W combined. Predator is 3500 max and about 3100 continuous.

I run my Predator in ESC and the initial turn on of the AC drags my volts down and the TV kicks off. I am hoping the SoftStart will alleviate that. Running in ESC really maximizes my fuel economy.

Lastly I want to apologize to the OP for kinda totally hijacking the original intent of this post. It wasn’t our intent at all, it just happened. There is some great information in this thread.

Randy
    From the Predator manual:

Economy (ESC) Switch
    1. Turn the Economy (ESC) Switch ON to limit noise
    and fuel consumption for lighter generator loads.
    2. Turn the Economy (ESC) Switch OFF
    to operate engine at full speed:
    a. when starting
    b. when a heavy load is applied
    c. when using the 12 VDC output

I figure even the main AC is a heavy enough load to just leave the ESC off.

As far as the current draw while running, I have no explanation of why it's less than the stated specs on the Coleman units. The specs are rated at 95º. It was in the lower 90's on Saturday when I grabbed that screen shot I posted earlier of both units running on the Predator. I've checked the running amps of the AC's on the Onan 4000 and on shore power since I installed the Victron equipment and the soft starts and they are consistent with what I posted from the Predator. I'm certainly no expert on any of this but rather just posting what I've learned thru researching and what my experience has been.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado333 View Post
    Good Day Folks!

I have a generator question. We own a 2020 GD Imagine 2670MK, which we bought new. It came with one main AC unit.We wanted to add the 2nd for the bedroom, but due to COVID and the parts situation at that time, we were unable to get the 2nd AC unit.

Roll the clock forward, now two years later, we had the 2nd AC added. Now for my question... We have never boon docked, and not sure we will. But, I purchased a Refurbed Champion Dual Fuel generator - which is out of warranty and has been on the shop for three months now - and I get nothing but a run around on when I can get it fixed and returned.

I am about to go ahead and pull the plug for a a new Honda Generator. I want to be able to run one AC unit and thats basically it. What model Honda generator do I want or need? It must be portable, something I can lift by myself, and also I can use it as a back up should power go off at the house (i.e. Hurricane season).

I dont want to spend a $GRAND to find out I should have gotten something a little bigger. I understand there are options such as doing a soft start mod, or even modifying the new gen for dual fuel - but not interested those options at this time.

Just wanted to see what some of you, that use a Honda are using for similar situations.

Thanks!
    Steve

We carry a Honda 2000 and for us and our Reflection 337RLS 5er it works just fine. Yes we can only run 1 AC unit but that's sufficient, especially since we added the Airflow upgrade to the AC units. We did 10 days down at the Daytona 500 and used the generator every day... 122 hrs total time. We have a Mueller marine 6 gallon fuel tank hooked up to it (which I highly recommend) so it doesn't need fuel added very often. It also keeps the battery charged and we can use the TV and if any other major appliance needs to be run the AC gets turned off temporarily. The most current draw from the AC unit is when the compressor kicks on so I set my AC unit to "Cool Hi" mode not "Auto" mode... this combined with setting the T-stat at about 68° keeps the compressor from cycling off & on thus limiting the constant reving of the generator. Doing it this way I'm actually able to set the Honda back on ECO mode so it idles less than with the ECO mode turned off. Is it ideal for someone that's going to do extensive boondocking?... NO, but for the 3 or 4 trips per year that we use it works fantastic. We'll be using it again for 3 days and 3 nights in early August at the Chesapeake Balloon Festival in MD. and there it will run just about 24/7 with about a 1hr. cool down period each morning. Another thing I did was purchase a replacement 50A twist-loc cord cap from Amazon and make a short #10 AWG cord setup for only using the generator. This means I don't have to deal with dragging out my heavy 38' 50A power cord and different dog bone adapters... and eliminates the chance of them getting stolen.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock with Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://a.co/d/fOCcC5o

Here's a (crappy) picture of the tank & generator setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220516-071946_Photos.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	41648
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 07-06-2022 at 06:07 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good Terry. We have a boondocking later this month, I’ll have the SoftStart installed and I’ll report back my findings on our TV shutdown and ESC on and/or off.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Another thing I did was purchase a replacement 50A twist-loc cord cap from Amazon and make a short #10 AWG cord setup for only using the generator. This means I don't have to deal with dragging out my heavy 38' 50A power cord and different dog bone adapters... and eliminates the chance of them getting stolen.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock with Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://a.co/d/fOCcC5o]
    Thanks Bill, just wondering, how did you wire that genny to 50 amp plug? I'm sure it was elementary for you, but not so much for me.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    We carry a Honda 2000 and for us and our Reflection 337RLS 5er it works just fine. Yes we can only run 1 AC unit but that's sufficient, especially since we added the Airflow upgrade to the AC units. We did 10 days down at the Daytona 500 and used the generator every day... 122 hrs total time. We have a Mueller marine 6 gallon fuel tank hooked up to it (which I highly recommend) so it doesn't need fuel added very often. It also keeps the battery charged and we can use the TV and if any other major appliance needs to be run the AC gets turned off temporarily. The most current draw from the AC unit is when the compressor kicks on so I set my AC unit to "Cool Hi" mode not "Auto" mode... this combined with setting the T-stat at about 68° keeps the compressor from cycling off & on thus limiting the constant reving of the generator. Doing it this way I'm actually able to set the Honda back on ECO mode so it idles less than with the ECO mode turned off. Is it ideal for someone that's going to do extensive boondocking?... NO, but for the 3 or 4 trips per year that we use it works fantastic. We'll be using it again for 3 days and 3 nights in early August at the Chesapeake Balloon Festival in MD. and there it will run just about 24/7 with about a 1hr. cool down period each morning. Another thing I did was purchase a replacement 50A twist-loc cord cap from Amazon and make a short #10 AWG cord setup for only using the generator. This means I don't have to deal with dragging out my heavy 38' 50A power cord and different dog bone adapters... and eliminates the chance of them getting stolen.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock with Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://a.co/d/fOCcC5o

Here's a (crappy) picture of the tank & generator setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220516-071946_Photos.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	41648
    Bill,
    Is that an external fuel tank kit? Do you hook it up directly to the genny fuel line to the carb?
    Thanks.
    john...
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    I don't use the ESC.

Here's the link to the SoftStartRV's on Amazon. Super easy install.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1JQHZC6XB&th=1
    I run the MicroAir EZ Start and a lot better deal
    https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Micro...RoCCHAQAvD_BwE
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC210 View Post
    I am interested in the Generac 3300i but it has a low run time, 4.5 hours at 25% load.
    I relooked at the specs and the run time at 50% is 4.5 hours and at 25% it is 7 hours.
    https://www.generac.com/generaccorpo...01004680_1.pdf

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go with the Generac GP3300i. It seems nicely made, is relatively quiet, costs $840, it's only 59.5lbs, it has more than enough power to run my AC unit and its made in the USA. Having said all that I really like the Honda EU3200i, it too ticks all of the boxes, except one..... its got that hefty $2500 price tag! That is almost three times the cost of the Generac GP3300i.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 07-11-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the trigger on a Champion 2500 duel fuel (200962). Great deal at Walmart. Light weight. I will add a Softstart and I should be good to go boondocking....
    John and Lori
    2018 XLT 2.7l
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks Bill, just wondering, how did you wire that genny to 50 amp plug? I'm sure it was elementary for you, but not so much for me.
    When you get the 50A twist-loc cord cap and open it up it will have four terminals screws to connect the wires to. I don't recall exactly what letters were used for each terminal but you'll have a ground, a nuetral, and 2 hots. The cord you use will be a 3 wire #10awg rubber cord with a black, white, and a green. Green to ground, white to nuetral, and the black to one of the hots and then add a small jumper to the second hot. If you need I can pull mine apart and take a few pictures. On the opposite end of the cord you'll need to install a male cord cape to match the receptacle on your generator... mine was a standard 20A duplex receptacle so it was a standard 20A /120V male cord cap. If your generator has a twist-loc type receptacle you'll need to use a matching male twist-loc cord cap.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast