User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big believer in a properly sized truck but often trailer sway is a result of an improperly balanced trailer. Often to much weight on the rear of trailer compared to the front of the trailer.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Only about 600-700 lbs more payload in most cases

Just about every person on here with a diesel 3/4 ton is overloaded
    But as you say, "Only about 600-700 lbs more payload in most cases", so figuring that, there could be many 1 ton SRW trucks that are also overloaded? I bought a 1 ton dually with nearly 6,000 lbs. of payload so I wouldn't have to worry about what I'm hauling. But TBH, you could likely buy a basic 3/4 ton that could have a higher payload than a well-equipped 1 ton SRW. The MegaCab Rams come to mind. And, of course, you have to figure at what overloaded amount will the truck self-destruct?

I have no idea about the actual/physical difference between modern 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, but I do feel that the defacto statement that a 1 ton is inherently able to haul/carry more than a 3/4 ton is thrown around too much. And lots of details need to be factored into the mix.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 07-11-2022 at 01:51 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm a big believer in a properly sized truck but often trailer sway is a result of an improperly balanced trailer. Often to much weight on the rear of trailer compared to the front of the trailer.
    That also is my opinion, and at such times the choice of truck may be the unwarranted recipient of criticism.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Everyone planning to buy an RV and considering truck size should go to Youtube and search for "trailer sway accidents". Those videos are eye popping and sobering. Sway initiation to INVERTED in 7 seconds.

I'd be willing to bet that every one of those drivers started that trip thinking that their truck was fine for the trailer they were pulling.
    Sway is caused by only one factor
    Poor weight distribution
    Has nothing to do with the tow vehicle
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    It is the only way sway is initiated
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    But as you say, "Only about 600-700 lbs more payload in most cases", so figuring that, there could be many 1 ton SRW trucks that are also overloaded? I bought a 1 ton dually with nearly 6,000 lbs. of payload so I wouldn't have to worry about what I'm hauling. But TBH, you could likely buy a basic 3/4 ton that could have a higher payload than a well-equipped 1 ton SRW. The MegaCab Rams come to mind. And, of course, you have to figure at what overloaded amount will the truck self-destruct?

I have no idea about the actual/physical difference between modern 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks, but I do feel that the defacto statement that a 1 ton is inherently able to haul/carry more than a 3/4 ton is thrown around too much. And lots of details need to be factored into the mix.
    I would guess at least 50 percent of them (1 tons) are overloaded
    Is it unsafe. No not imo
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I would guess at least 50 percent of them (1 tons) are overloaded
    Is it unsafe. No not imo
    Agreed. Not unsafe.
    Howard and Peggy

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other thing that can cause sway besides poor weight distribution. Cross winds, passing Semi, overloaded trailer, Tires on trailer just to name a few.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Truck and 5th wheel

Quote Originally Posted by KeithH63 View Post
    So I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a truck and fifth wheel. In September, I’m going to buy/order a new GMC Sierra 2500 crew cab 4WD diesel with the fifth wheel package. In January, I’m going to order a Solitude 2930RL. My wife and I are planning are taking it for 3-5 week trips around the country with our base in Littleton, CO.

I’ve been reading this forum a lot and have seen some great topics. I have a couple of questions maybe some can help me out with. The 2500 diesel crew cab can tow 18,500 lbs. The 2930RL GVWR is 15,000 lbs. Based on that, I believe the 2500 should be fine, correct?

On the 2930, what options would you recommend? My dealer said the drum brakes and standard suspension are fine. Should I upgrade to the 7K axles w/ disc brakes? We might boondock from time to time, solar needed? What about slide-out awnings?

Any other suggestions for either the truck or trailer?
    We have a Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.5 and a 303RLS. Your 18.5K should do fine. The general rule of thumb is take your GVWR and add 100lbs for "stuff" you'll add. Water is about 9lbs/ gal.

I don't know about GMC models but make sure you get a towing package with Transmission and engine cooler. Make sure you also add a tire monitor system. I recommend the TST brand.`

We live in the desert in the west so shades are a must. You can't have too many. Check the panty space in the Solitudes. We found them too small compared to what the Reflection offers, especially if you're going to on the road for 3-5 weeks.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    There are other thing that can cause sway besides poor weight distribution. Cross winds, passing Semi, overloaded trailer, Tires on trailer just to name a few.
    Imo those are not sway events
    Suck push from semi’s and wind are not sway
    I properly loaded trailer will immediately correct itself
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast