Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CP4 is gone!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    While I also purchased an additional cap for mine, I'm also fairly confident that RAM is aware of the need for clean fuel. They have run this dual flap filler neck for many years, and I've not seen any issues posted on the RAM forums. That said, I don't follow the forums daily and would be interested in any information you have on this being a problem for RAM.
    I presume the two fuel filters on the truck do a great job keeping dirt out of the injectors. But why let dust and dirt get into the fuel filler pipe and then the tank in the first place. Minute dirt particles aren't going to magically fall out the "engineered" hole between the first and second filler flaps. It'll lay and collect in the pipe and when the station fuel filler nozzle is inserted, the dust and dirt will dislodge and pass right through the second flap. Diesel fuel quality is sketchy enough as it is without road dirt being an additional additive.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a basic green fuel cap from amazon. It does not act as a seal, just a dust cover and does not interfere with the flapper nor the 60gal aux tank (gravity feed). The ridges in the filler neck prevent the cap from sealing.

I truly believe the only reason Ram is replacing the CP4 HPFP is the fact that's it's installed on a Cummins engine. Cummins reputation is on the line and I'm sure they pushed this recall. Unfortunately, Ford and Chevy don't have an external entity pushing for the proper resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220804_175456.jpg  
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa_Woody View Post
    I purchased a basic green fuel cap from amazon. It does not act as a seal, just a dust cover and does not interfere with the flapper nor the 60gal aux tank (gravity feed). The ridges in the filler neck prevent the cap from sealing.

I truly believe the only reason Ram is replacing the CP4 HPFP is the fact that's it's installed on a Cummins engine. Cummins reputation is on the line and I'm sure they pushed this recall. Unfortunately, Ford and Chevy don't have an external entity pushing for the proper resolution.
    Different then the one I purchased which had cutouts for the ridges and did push the flapper once twisted and turned. It was soaked with diesel when I took it off and I don't have an aux tank.

Absolutely agree that Cummins pushed the noodle on the recall. 1200 miles (no trailer) this weekend so I'll get a chance to see how the CP3.3 does.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casa_Woody View Post

I hadn't considered the Cummins factor, that certainly makes sense. I have wondered why Ram was the only one doing a recall when they all use the same marginal pump.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I hadn't considered the Cummins factor, that certainly makes sense. I have wondered why Ram was the only one doing a recall when they all use the same marginal pump.
    Just to clarifiy. Only Fprd presently uses the CP4. GM switched in IIRC 2017. Ram only used it IIRC 2-3 years. Cummins may have been a factor. But I think it is a little more complicated than that.
    Ford had a history of denying warranty on this, and is still using it, GM quietly fixed theirs under warranty, even one report that I have seen of Customer goodwill coverage of 50% after 100,000 miles. Since GM stood behind theirs, and discontinued it's use, IMO a legal case aginst them is weak. Ford has a bigger issue because of the way they handled it IMO...They have taken the position that there is nothing wrong with it. Ram whether or not pushed by Cummins with the benefit of seeing what Ford and GM went thru had an easier decision to make. They simply were not into it as deep as the other two.
    Last edited by huntindog; 08-05-2022 at 04:28 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd post a follow-up now that I've been able to put miles on the truck post recall. For what it's worth (only one truck), 1365 miles in the last three days without 5th wheel. I've made that same trip before twice. 2020 and 2021 trips with a lighter pax/payload by about 1000 lbs and never got over 18.5 hand calc'd. This trip, averaged 19.2 outbound (14.5 hours including city driving) and 21.5 (11.5 hours) inbound. My DEF usage estimate is between 1 and 1.5 gallons entire trip based on gauge sitting 7/8 full - was getting 350-450 mpg on DEF before. Regen was automatic 24 hours at 539 and 563. Meter got just south of 50% when regen kicked off both times with minimal impact on fuel mpg.

BLUF - fuel mileage increase - DEF mileage increase - smoother AISIN shifts -more responsive throttle.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Thought I'd post a follow-up now that I've been able to put miles on the truck post recall. For what it's worth (only one truck), 1365 miles in the last three days without 5th wheel. I've made that same trip before twice. 2020 and 2021 trips with a lighter pax/payload by about 1000 lbs and never got over 18.5 hand calc'd. This trip, averaged 19.2 outbound (14.5 hours including city driving) and 21.5 (11.5 hours) inbound. My DEF usage estimate is between 1 and 1.5 gallons entire trip based on gauge sitting 7/8 full - was getting 350-450 mpg on DEF before. Regen was automatic 24 hours at 539 and 563. Meter got just south of 50% when regen kicked off both times with minimal impact on fuel mpg.

BLUF - fuel mileage increase - DEF mileage increase - smoother AISIN shifts -more responsive throttle.
    That's good to hear John.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I believe Ford are still installing them in new production trucks aren't they?
    If so, that is sickening!
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    If so, that is sickening!
    They are and it is.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My CP4 in my RAM is now gone too!! Just picked up a new 2022 RAM 3500 that I ordered in December.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast