Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Broken shackle.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken shackle.

I need a bit of clarification if possible. I found a broken shackle on our trailer while inspecting the underside. The trailer has Lippert Equiflex equalizers that have severely torn rubber bumpers. It would appear that the shackles were improperly installed at some point, as some of the bolts are loose. And that looseness wore the shackle to the point it broke. Most of the others are fine, although another one also looks loose. Considering the design, these should not loosen if they are installed and torqued correctly. I must say I'm not impressed with the Lippert Equiflex, but changing to the Dexter EZ Flex means different distances on the equalizers as far as spring mounting.

Anyhoo, I'm going to replace the equalizers, and go to 4,000 lb. springs instead of the 3,500 lb. ones since I'm running about 400 lbs. over the 14,000 lb. rating on the axles. But, I don't know the length of the springs. Etrailer offers 24 7/8" springs, but also they have the 3 1/8" shackles rather than the 2 1/4" shackles that I have. Mine are fairly flat, and measure about 26 1/2" eye-to-eye. Most of the aftermarket springs seem to measure 26" eye-to-eye, not 24 7/8". I'm just wondering if anyone knows the length of the springs on their trailers, especially some of you that have replaced/upgraded their suspension.

I've consider the Roadmaster slipper springs/shock absorber kit, and haven't completely ruled it out, but it's about 50% more money and probably 3 times as much work. Which counts since I'll be doing it all myself.

Any help, advice, criticism will be accepted in the spirit it is given. TIA.

Howard
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look into a local suspension shop that could make leaf springs first. At least to see if they use USA steel. I don't trust the china springs to even up to their rated load. I was going that route with our last Solitude but ended up with a new unit before I pulled the trigger.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could do that, but it still comes back to knowing what length of spring to specify. Considering the "quality" of the installation, I'm not sure they even have the right length shackles and/or springs. The instructions for installing the Equiflex equalizers, seem to have been disregarded for the most part. All the greaseable bolts were installed with the zerks to the inside and nuts to the outside, even though the instructions call for just the opposite. Makes me wonder about the rest of things, y'know.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The place I was going to go wanted me to bring it over and they would do all the measurements and fabricate the springs in house. They wouldn't depend on my measurements
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be 26-1/4"

A good time to switch to HD shackles but that of course means new bolts. FYI, when I switched to HD shackles I went with new bolts and "never-fail" bushings. They have been going strong for about 7 years now, no wear and no greasing!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I could do that, but it still comes back to knowing what length of spring to specify. Considering the "quality" of the installation, I'm not sure they even have the right length shackles and/or springs. The instructions for installing the Equiflex equalizers, seem to have been disregarded for the most part. All the greaseable bolts were installed with the zerks to the inside and nuts to the outside, even though the instructions call for just the opposite. Makes me wonder about the rest of things, y'know.
    I broke a spring once and the repair person had me measure one of the other springs. Since the spring had a load on it the measurement from eye to eye was one inch longer than it should have been.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for the input. I am going with the heavier shackles and wet bolts, regardless of anything else. Not sure about the "Never-Fail" bushings, although I may go that route if they're easy to spec.

The springs that I've measured, compressed by the weight, measure around 26 1/2" to 27". 26" seems to be the most common size, but Etrailer offers, almost universally, the 24 7/8" length. Not sure why the difference.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a bit of clarification if possible. I found a broken shackle on our trailer while inspecting the underside. The trailer has Lippert Equiflex equalizers that have severely torn rubber bumpers. It would appear that the shackles were improperly installed at some point, as some of the bolts are loose. And that looseness wore the shackle to the point it broke. Most of the others are fine, although another one also looks loose. Considering the design, these should not loosen if they are installed and torqued correctly. I must say I'm not impressed with the Lippert Equiflex, but changing to the Dexter EZ Flex means different distances on the equalizers as far as spring mounting.

Anyhoo, I'm going to replace the equalizers, and go to 4,000 lb. springs instead of the 3,500 lb. ones since I'm running about 400 lbs. over the 14,000 lb. rating on the axles. But, I don't know the length of the springs. Etrailer offers 24 7/8" springs, but also they have the 3 1/8" shackles rather than the 2 1/4" shackles that I have. Mine are fairly flat, and measure about 26 1/2" eye-to-eye. Most of the aftermarket springs seem to measure 26" eye-to-eye, not 24 7/8". I'm just wondering if anyone knows the length of the springs on their trailers, especially some of you that have replaced/upgraded their suspension.

I've consider the Roadmaster slipper springs/shock absorber kit, and haven't completely ruled it out, but it's about 50% more money and probably 3 times as much work. Which counts since I'll be doing it all myself.

Any help, advice, criticism will be accepted in the spirit it is given. TIA.

Howard
    I replaced my 3500's with the dexter 4000lb part #072-079-00 but mine is a Momentum with the Moryde 3000
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for the input. I am going with the heavier shackles and wet bolts, regardless of anything else. Not sure about the "Never-Fail" bushings, although I may go that route if they're easy to spec.

The springs that I've measured, compressed by the weight, measure around 26 1/2" to 27". 26" seems to be the most common size, but Etrailer offers, almost universally, the 24 7/8" length. Not sure why the difference.
    I installed Never Fail bushings on my last TT, They were trouble free for me, and mantainence free as well. I have had to replace the greasable ones on previous TTs. IMO, they are problematic. There is no seal of any kind to keep thr grease in place. Most of what you pump in is likely gone by the time you get on the highway. So they need to be greased OFTEN. Too often IMO. When the time comes I will be putting Never Fails on my momentum.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    The place I was going to go wanted me to bring it over and they would do all the measurements and fabricate the springs in house. They wouldn't depend on my measurements
    That is exactly what we did. We took one spring into a shop for sizing. On the heavy side we had the springs made with an extra leaf. Had the other 2 made as they were and the springs fit well.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/