User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Picked it up April and put about 4700 miles on it so far. Dewalt grease gun with red-n-tacky. Lock-n-lube should be here Tuesday. Will try hitching up first but have two floor jacks and stands to try if that doesn't work. Given how crusty the zerks feel and how dry/surface rusty everything is, be surprised if they were ever greased.
    I don't think the wet bolts on our Solitude were ever greased either, or at least greased well. Replaced them all when I had the axle/disc brake upgrade done.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well with the help of my son and Lock-n-Lube, DeWalt, and Red&Tacky, got all but one wet bolt to take a lot of grease. I didn't think any made it through the front door side but turned my camera light on and there was a trace of red coming out so some got in. Much quieter suspension
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to replace a couple of wet bolts that ran dry JUST SITTING IN PLACE for 3 years. What size and is it difficult to do?
    2017 337RLS 6000# axle.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, grease will dry out if just sitting. It's basically just oil suspended in a semi-solid. Non-use is not good for it.

It's not extremely difficult, but it helps to know what equalizers and shackles you have. Some shackles are thicker than others and that will affect the length of the wet bolts. You have to remove the nuts, while holding the bolt so it won't spin and ruin the hangers, or the splines. You'll have to support the trailer, so you can lift the weight off the axles, and be able to move the springs to remove the old bolts and replace them. You also may need new bushings, depending on what kind you have. The wet bolts can be removed by driving them out from the nut side. When replacing the bolts, try to align the old spline ridges with the new ones so you don't unnecessarily chew up the hangers.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ajcatman, in addition to what Happy Frood says, be sure to put the grease hole to the side. MORyde makes clear that the grease hole should not be facing the top or bottom because the pressure points of the weight sitting on the spring/bolt/bushing may make it difficult to force grease through the hole. Having it to the side ensures less force between the bolt hole and bushing.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yes, grease will dry out if just sitting. It's basically just oil suspended in a semi-solid. Non-use is not good for it.

It's not extremely difficult, but it helps to know what equalizers and shackles you have. Some shackles are thicker than others and that will affect the length of the wet bolts. You have to remove the nuts, while holding the bolt so it won't spin and ruin the hangers, or the splines. You'll have to support the trailer, so you can lift the weight off the axles, and be able to move the springs to remove the old bolts and replace them. You also may need new bushings, depending on what kind you have. The wet bolts can be removed by driving them out from the nut side. When replacing the bolts, try to align the old spline ridges with the new ones so you don't unnecessarily chew up the hangers.
    This is good. In addition, have a strong C clamp to squeeze the hanger while installing the bolts. The bolt has a shoulder that must go completely through the hanger and then the nut can be torqued. A witness mark for the grease hole location also helps to insure the 3 or 9 position while inserting the bolt. Little black dot from a permanent marker.

After install I paint witness marks on the bolt head and the hanger or shackle. Before I move I just verify none of the bolts have shifted.
    Randy and Kris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had the camper out last weekend. On flat ground with 2 ATVs in it, I was able to grease 1 out of the 2 there weren't taking any. The other side still wasn't accepting any.

Next week they are getting cut off and I am going IS.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming the bolts were installed with the grease holes of the wet bolt in the horizontal (holes facing front to back) sometimes you need to take the weight off the suspension. 2 ATV’s in addition to the weight of the RV might not allow grease to flow thru those holes.
    I’ve also had bolts that wouldn’t take grease even after jacjimg the frame up. I bought an air powered grease gun at Harbor Freight. That shot grease into those stubborn zerks like nobody’s business.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wet bolt story. May be helpful.

Wet bolt install question
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax