User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Auto, as others said it lets me coast and will only come on if I press the brake pedal, releasing the brake pedal then it will hold me at that speed all the way down the grade. When I press on the gas it turns off the exhaust brake until you press on the brake again. What ever you like the best.

Now the Texas class A drivers license manual says never let your vehicle coast as you could lose control, well, answer the test question correctly then do as you want.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean Texas doesn't approve of "Georgia Overdrive"?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You mean Texas doesn't approve of "Georgia Overdrive"?
    Nope, but then again their driving manuals, for which the RV classes A and B non CDL licenses are derived from, are focused on Semis.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Thanks all. Yes the selection is a 1 for Full and 2nd for Auto then a 3rd for off. I will be heading Cañon City to Olathe on 50 Thursday. I’ll give both a shot and see what Auto is like.

In any case it is a great weapon to save those brakes.
    I don't use the Diesel Brake to save the wear and tear on my brakes, I use it because it gives me more control of my truck and trailer, especially when going down a steep hill.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set to auto here. If I'm coasting and it doesn't brake the way I want, I only have to touch the brake pedal for a split second (before the delay in the trailer brakes takes ends) and the engine brake will engage fully.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM 6.7 CTD engine brake

Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    As near as I can tell, the 2021 Duramax version is only auto mode. Apparently is does a calculation of how fast you slow down with how much brake pedal you use and adjusts the engine brake based on that, and probably other things. My last big 8% grade decent from Buena Vista to Denver, I initially braked to keep my speed at 45 on the curvy road, then to my surprise, I no longer needs to use the brake and ran 45 all the way down. Cruise control was off. Very nice tech.
    My 2019 GMC is also on or off. Depending on the terrain. In mountains I will just leave it on, but mixed will turn it on or off. On the Chevy’s and GMC’ s wish the button was on the steering wheel though.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    When my friend asked me why I downshifted coming up to a stop sign, I told him it saved on brakes. He said "Brakes are cheap, try replacing a clutch or transmission." Not equating the two, by any means, but really, saving brakes is a pretty silly reason. I use mine to mitigate my speed on hills, so, in a way, I'm saving my brakes...so when I need them I'll have them.
    That is better, not to save the pads. Just when I need them they are there.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We set ours to Auto, for all the same reasons mentioned above. Love the exhaust brake, a game changer.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full here

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    How are you folks using the selectable engine braking? Full vs Auto? I am driving through most of southern Colorado and I just use the Full engine brake, which is priceless. But when and how do you use the Auto function?

Better MPG one vs other?

Thanks
    I have had 4 Ram 2500s as work vehicles. I ran in full exhaust break mode towing or not. I was GPS monitored and it helped keep speed when in cruise. I was told by a tech from a dealership it also helps keep the DPF clear so I did as I needed to minimize maintenance expenses and I would idle 12+ hours a day using my inverter to run my tools. I saw 20ish mpg not towing and 9ish mpg towing. I don’t think the exhaust break helps with mpg, it does save on breaks and if downshifting ruins your transmission I’d say go with another brand. I down shift regularly to keep speed especially while towing. Each truck I put on 120k miles before the company traded them in. Only issues I had was broken from differential, and fuel pump went out on 2/4 trucks. I think your experimentation will determine which is best for you.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use auto 99% of the time except when I am going on steep passes and then I use full as I feel that sometimes auto isn't aggressive enough and it will let the speed creep up (I believe auto keeps it at the speed when you took your foot off the gas). This is on both my 2017 Ram 3500 and my 2019 Ram 3500HD.

One note, you will want to take off engine/exhaust braking if you are at all in slippery conditions. I didn't think about it and was coming down the pass from ski camping and it got a little slushy. The exhaust brake came on and the whole truck trailer started doing a little wobble wobble. Instantly turned it off and squeezed the trailer brake control and all was happy again. I hesitate to think how bad that could have gone had I not instantly recognized what was going on. This is the same thing in our fire engines, we are taught not to have engine braking in the snow as you can't dynamically control the amount of braking. All in all though I love it. Most times I can go down a 5-7% grade on a pass and barely touch my brakes.
    Mike in Seattle
    Family of 4, kids aged 16 and 13 and 2 Doodles.
    2019 Ram 3500 HO, 2018 Momentum 354M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast