User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    Since my solar install is currently in progress, I don't have enough experience with real panel outputs to provide a useful answer. However, my 600AH LiFePO4 battery bank is about 2 years old, so I will answer based on that. It was worth every penny and is more capable than I honestly thought it would be. I travelled 3 days in a row, lot docking in parking lots as I went. That system powered my AC fridge, AC chest freezer, and even my coffee grinder and water pot so I could have fresh french pressed coffee every morning. When I got there, the system still had a bit of juice left. That said I believe solar would have only improved my situation, but I admit I'm going a little overboard for my current use.
    Coffee, in any form, is most important! Even at the expense of the reefer! (Kidding, kind of.)
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Even at the expense of the reefer!"

Was that a double meaning? Nudge nudge, wink wink.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a quote for a home system, 13 KW was $106,000 installed. I can but the system on line for around $16,000. If I do it I will buy the kit and do it myself.
    The Solar companies have a ton of profit built in.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And like a lot of people, when you shop price, you end up getting junk.

Many good business', will only install top notch stuff to prevent the bad things that come with selling junk. Without a doubt, you could do it yourself and do a better job but the code inspector may say differently.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post

Many good business', will only install top notch stuff to prevent the bad things that come with selling junk. Without a doubt, you could do it yourself and do a better job but the code inspector may say differently.
    Be careful with that line of thought. I have done quite a bit of solar, and there is not a lot of difference in panels. $1 / KW is about right on good panels, and, the solar contractors charge $6. They both come with a 20-25 yr warranty.

I just bought an AC compressor on line for 1/6 of what the dealer wanted. Exact same compressor.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many horror stories of cheap Chinese junk, there are stories of good Chinese products.

It is a fine line to walk and ultimately the decision is yours. To say the DIY route is the best, is as foolish as saying the professional route is the best. Both are a mine field and can be costly. Profit is not a bad thing and allows companies to hire people. Most DIY'ers have earned a paycheck from a company. Money that was made by selling a product/service. I suspect there are a lot of good companies that deserve to make a profit that sell solar installations. I also suspect there are a lot of bad companies that just want your money, but they just don't sell solar.

Sadly, there is a lot of greed out there. From companies to DIY'ers. Good products usually cost a bit more. If you are so greedy with your money, that may not be a good thing designing/installing a solar system.

All said, I am pretty tight with my money. I did the DIY route with my LifePo4 batteries and will go that route when install the solar. If I billed the amount of time on the research I did, it would be way more than buying the 10 Battle Born batteries. Since I cannot, then I look that I saved over $7k that will last just as long. Mine also has a lifetime workmanship warranty. I look for the best product for the cheapest price. All too often, DIY'ers buy the cheapest product and wonder why it does not work or last.

As for a 20-25 year warranty, Do you really think the company will be around that long? I don't and therefore that means nothing to me. It just sounds good and most people think they are safe that long. I think of it as a used car sales pitch.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    I just bought an AC compressor on line for 1/6 of what the dealer wanted. Exact same compressor.
    I've worked in the automotive field for 40 years. I can say for certain, the dealership mark up is not that much. At best, that part may have a 100% mark up. There is no way that you bought the 'Exact same compressor' for a 1/6th of the cost, unless it was stolen.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post

For $90,000 I think there is a disconnect with reality on the professionally built system.

You can buy the exact same panels as the "Pros" and probably do a much better job installing them yourself.

The Electrical Codes aren't that difficult to understand and most Inspectors will help a DIYer understand where they might have messed up.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with that but as a professional, I have seen the other side of DIY that many have not. When it comes to my shop, it's going to cost way more to get back to a good start. Usually, it started with 'I got the part from Amazon and saved 80% from the dealership'. That part rarely works and if it does, not very long.

There are plenty of DIY'er that are much better than any pro's. I can say, when you have the skills, you usually do a better job for yourself than for others. There are too many companies that do bad work too but if you have the skills and honest, it is not criminal to charge the going rate.

Would you sell your RV for half of what it's worth? I highly doubt if anyone would. You would sell it for what the market will bear. Why should a company not follow the same thought?

If all you got is time, like to research, know when you are getting a deal, and a good steward with your money, you could spend a lot less if you do it yourself. I just know, not everyone has those characteristics.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchertx View Post
    I just got a quote for a home system, 13 KW was $106,000 installed. I can but the system on line for around $16,000. If I do it I will buy the kit and do it myself.
    The Solar companies have a ton of profit built in.
    That seems way too high, I'd get at least two more quotes.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast