User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are exhaust fans on the outside for refrigerators worth it?

I have been thinking of putting a dual fan on the upper vent for the refrigerator in my 2019 Solitude 310GK. There is a little fan at the bottom of the outside of the refrigerator, but I've never hear or seen it work. Any suggestions?
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    B&W 25000 Companion Puck Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you had any trouble with your fridge keeping appropriate temps? I've never had extra fans and no problems. I wouldn't bother unless you are attempting to solve a specific issue.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Chad, I have fans in out 3100RD, which I hear on hot days, and the fridge is always cold.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installing fans on my Dometic had a negative effect. I would have 5 days of good cooling and then the fridge stopped. My fans were temperature controlled but it was too much air flow. Dealership found a baffle missing from the factory. I 86’d the fans and the GD paid for baffle fix, it has been perfect. No issues for several weeks now.

The black sheet metal ducts hot air more efficiently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F5FAA95-DD78-477E-AAAD-E48FA33B5F12.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	42992
    Randy and Kris

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Installing fans on my Dometic had a negative effect. I would have 5 days of good cooling and then the fridge stopped. My fans were temperature controlled but it was too much air flow. Dealership found a baffle missing from the factory. I 86’d the fans and the GD paid for baffle fix, it has been perfect. No issues for several weeks now.

The black sheet metal ducts hot air more efficiently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F5FAA95-DD78-477E-AAAD-E48FA33B5F12.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	42992
    Would you mind elaborating on that a bit? So in the pic, that black piece is the baffle you refer to? I assume that is behind the cover of upper vent looking from the outside? And that black piece was not there so the dealership added it to help with airflow? Seems counterintuitive but I want to check mine to see if I have one. I only looked behind those vent covers once after purchase and cannot recall if there was a piece like that there.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I had a post about my Dometic being dead. I started a warranty thingy with Dometic and not GD. I was traveling to Colorado so I couldn’t get to Houston. I made a stop in Albuquerque and took my fans out prior to going in for an analysis. Of course after dropping the coach off the fridge started working. We spent about 6 hours as they evaluated and finally came to tell us it was working fine and we could have it back. But, the technician pointed out the black metal piece, yes behind the upper vent cover was ‘missing’. He fabricated a slice of sheet metal, installed it and we left. The service manager said they took pics and contacted GD and the piece should have been installed at manufacture. I asked what my bill was and they said $0. They handled everything with GD.

So the black piece is a slice of sheet metal and the theory seems to be that the factory fan should only come on when the plumbing reaches a certain temp. With my additional fans the factory sensor would never turn on the factory fan. Certainly sounds crazy but my fridge has not stopped for over a month now and I can get -7 and 30 if I choose, on setting 5. Only my wife and I know of the additional fan install.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I had a post about my Dometic being dead. I started a warranty thingy with Dometic and not GD. I was traveling to Colorado so I couldn’t get to Houston. I made a stop in Albuquerque and took my fans out prior to going in for an analysis. Of course after dropping the coach off the fridge started working. We spent about 6 hours as they evaluated and finally came to tell us it was working fine and we could have it back. But, the technician pointed out the black metal piece, yes behind the upper vent cover was ‘missing’. He fabricated a slice of sheet metal, installed it and we left. The service manager said they took pics and contacted GD and the piece should have been installed at manufacture. I asked what my bill was and they said $0. They handled everything with GD.

So the black piece is a slice of sheet metal and the theory seems to be that the factory fan should only come on when the plumbing reaches a certain temp. With my additional fans the factory sensor would never turn on the factory fan. Certainly sounds crazy but my fridge has not stopped for over a month now and I can get -7 and 30 if I choose, on setting 5. Only my wife and I know of the additional fan install.
    I hear ya. I added a singular 120mm fan at the bottom to help airflow. I used my own thermostat controller to come on at much lower temps on at 105f. The factory fans come on at 135 I believe and off at 110f. The fan does not affect the other two in the system, just increases the airflow through the “chimney”. Works very well, my fridge has been solid.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks much for the explanation, very helpful. I'll take a look at mine...
    Chad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our 2017 2600RB, one exterior fan w/ thermostat has worked fine over 2+ Summers or 9000 miles. There are several vendors that specialize in supplemental frig fans and would be the resource if you are experiencing cooling issues.
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 09-12-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    …And that black piece was not there so the dealership added it to help with airflow? Seems counterintuitive….
    To further clarify, the purpose of the baffle is to channel the air rising from below across the cooling fins.

If the baffle wasn’t installed the air flow would be less focused and exit the bottom of the top vent without cooling the fins.

If you are going to put fans on the top vent, put them above the fins.

I would encourage that you consider a squirrel cage fan on the bottom vent cover pulling air in from outside and blowing straight up the fridge compartment.

75mm x 30mm 7530 DC 12V Cooling Blower Fan, Dual Ball Bearing Brushless, AV-F7530MB https://a.co/d/akIagXy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast