User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford and GM were having issues with the Bosh cp4 first generation. Bosh made the pumps with the specs of European Diesel and not US. The pump would grenade and send metal through the entire injection system, thus requiring a complete replacement of the entire fuel system; fuel lines, filters, injectors, the pump, etc. This is why GM went with Denso when they released the L5P motor.

Supposedly, Bosh has made the proper modifications to the pump and it's no longer an issue. It is very rare for a Denso pump to fail, but just like any mechanical device, it can happen.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Ford and GM were having issues with the Bosh cp4 first generation. Bosh made the pumps with the specs of European Diesel and not US. The pump would grenade and send metal through the entire injection system, thus requiring a complete replacement of the entire fuel system; fuel lines, filters, injectors, the pump, etc. This is why GM went with Denso when they released the L5P motor.

Supposedly, Bosh has made the proper modifications to the pump and it's no longer an issue. It is very rare for a Denso pump to fail, but just like any mechanical device, it can happen.
    I personally think the CP4 will always be an issue and that's part of what what drove RAM to replace them all. Guessing that RAM must have looked at all options (including just sucking up all the warranty claims) before funding a recall as expensive as this. I'd also guess that RAM had some outside influences such as Cummins who has a reputation to protect. Now that both GM and RAM have moved away from the CP4 buyers have more options when looking to purchase a new vehicle.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    I personally think the CP4 will always be an issue and that's part of what what drove RAM to replace them all. Guessing that RAM must have looked at all options (including just sucking up all the warranty claims) before funding a recall as expensive as this. I'd also guess that RAM had some outside influences such as Cummins who has a reputation to protect. Now that both GM and RAM have moved away from the CP4 buyers have more options when looking to purchase a new vehicle.
    I was actually shocked that Ram stuck with the CP4 after all the Ford/GM issues.

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one design feature that the CP4 still lacks. A mechanisim to keep the piston from rotating in it's bore. AFAIK, they still have not ponied up the bucks to be able to use the patent that IIRC is held by Denso.
    As the miles go by and clearances loosen op the CP4 piston can rotate in it's bore. The roller ends up sideways on the cam.. Destruction is swift
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    There is one design feature that the CP4 still lacks. A mechanisim to keep the piston from rotating in it's bore. AFAIK, they still have not ponied up the bucks to be able to use the patent that IIRC is held by Denso.
    As the miles go by and clearances loosen op the CP4 piston can rotate in it's bore. The roller ends up sideways on the cam.. Destruction is swift
    They (Bosch) was pointing the finger at the lubricity of US Diesel fuel, which I've heard being an issue before, ie injector failure rates with the introduction of ultra low sulfur diesel. I'm just happy I still have CP3 and no NOx sensors.

2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They (Bosch) was pointing the finger at the lubricity of US Diesel fuel, which I've heard being an issue before, ie injector failure rates with the introduction of ultra low sulfur diesel. I'm just happy I still have CP3 and no NOx sensors.
    In this case, more than one thing can be true. The low sulpher fuel can accelerate wear and make the piston turn in it's bore sooner.

I am glad to be out from under the CP4 cloud. The new truck is lot better as well
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    In this case, more than one thing can be true. The low sulpher fuel can accelerate wear and make the piston turn in it's bore sooner.

I am glad to be out from under the CP4 cloud. The new truck is lot better as well
    That L5P is a freaking beast! The only reason I'm still hanging on to mine is because it's pre smog. Oh and the 80k price tag.

2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a video on the CP4 failure - after the first part its a sales pitch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPFPf2EpxkE It shows how the boor rotates.

Other videos for information
    https://www.youtube.com/hashtag/ssfueled

I am trying to find out what Ford did with the CP4.2 before investing in the disaster kit.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I am trying to find out what Ford did with the CP4.2 before investing in the disaster kit.
    Per this article the difference between Ford and GM on CP4.2 use is an electric fuel pump that provides around 55 psi fuel into the CP4.2. This apparently makes Ford's CP4.2 less likely to fail.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    55 psi for a lift pump. Wow. Usually their low psi, high flow.

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123