User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoy View Post
    It's my 5th rv and my second momentum toy hauler. Decided not to listen to my camping buddies and purchased the Weigh Safe distribution hitch. BIG NOT SO SAFE mistake. Had is all installed, used the app. Drove 6 hours no issues, then made a slight turn on a maintained hard packed road. 2 minutes in driving 15 mph big boom and the results are in the picture. I bought the entire system from Weigh Safe directly including all the pins and locks. No refund just wanted to send replacement parts. Are you kidding me???
    I was towing 10500lbs with my RZR inside.
    Crap! Glad everyone is safe and ok. Also your rig ok.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, yes the rig was awesome and steady. The rzr didn't move an inch. GD is my fav and quality build.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a cause determined for the failure?
    Tim and Jennifer
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS 08/10/22
    2013 Ford F-250 King Ranch 6.2L V8

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my 5th rv and my second momentum toy hauler. Decided not to listen to my camping buddies and purchased the Weigh Safe distribution hitch. BIG NOT SO SAFE mistake. Had is all installed, used the app. Drove 6 hours no issues, then made a slight turn on a maintained hard packed road. 2 minutes in driving 15 mph big boom and the results are in the picture. I bought the entire system from Weigh Safe directly including all the pins and locks. No refund just wanted to send replacement parts. Are you kidding me???
    I was towing 10500lbs with my RZR inside.

Wow. That's crazy. First I've seen this type of failure. Disappointing for sure and disappointing that WS won't just refund your money.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weigh safe failure

Bill, yes the rig was awesome and steady. The rzr didn't move an inch. GD is my fav and quality build.
    My Weight Safe almost had the same failure. One of the bolts holding the cap onto the torsion bar fixture sheared but the unit did not separate like yours. Your pictures show the tow bar out of the receiver hitch….did the failure cause that or did you unhook afterwards.

What caused the gouges in the road per your picture? Was it the torsion bars or main hitch assembly?

Did Weigh Safe ever give any explanation for the failure?

I’m concerned about ever using the hitch again.

Thanks for the info.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much as I like the idea of the weigh safe, I gotta say these failures and the issues I see on Facebook tell me they have a major quality control issue. I think I'll get a blue ox when I buy my 29G. I wish there was a 2000/20,000lb E4.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what you mean. Being a retired engineer, I think the basics of their hitch is solid and robust but the inherent design of the weight distribution mechanism has some drawbacks. However, some of the issues also seem to come down to some small but significant idiosyncrasies. For example, in looking at your failure I have a theory that when the safety chains are looped over the top of the hitch (like is shown in one of your pictures) and attached to the trailer in the manner common to Grand Design, that in just the right position the chains get trapped between the bottom of the trailer tongue and the mechanism where the weight distribution bars are attached to the hitch. When this happens, there could be considerable downward pressure exerted on this hitch area and the only thing supporting it at that point is the two 5/16” bolts holding that cap on. Once those two bolts shear (which seems to show in one of the pictures) that entire assembly will drop.

I’m sure it is a rare occurrence but when it does happen, you would see results like you experienced.

Of course this only my theory and opinion and may only be worth less than a cup of coffee.

Regardless, I feel their engineers might be wise to look at possible application issues and make appropriate changes.

OK….soap box is now put away

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
    I know what you mean. Being a retired engineer, I think the basics of their hitch is solid and robust but the inherent design of the weight distribution mechanism has some drawbacks. However, some of the issues also seem to come down to some small but significant idiosyncrasies. For example, in looking at your failure I have a theory that when the safety chains are looped over the top of the hitch (like is shown in one of your pictures) and attached to the trailer in the manner common to Grand Design, that in just the right position the chains get trapped between the bottom of the trailer tongue and the mechanism where the weight distribution bars are attached to the hitch. When this happens, there could be considerable downward pressure exerted on this hitch area and the only thing supporting it at that point is the two 5/16” bolts holding that cap on. Once those two bolts shear (which seems to show in one of the pictures) that entire assembly will drop.

I’m sure it is a rare occurrence but when it does happen, you would see results like you experienced.

Of course this only my theory and opinion and may only be worth less than a cup of coffee.

Regardless, I feel their engineers might be wise to look at possible application issues and make appropriate changes.

OK….soap box is now put away
    Our video work involving the Weigh Safe (I paid full retail for the hitch and am in no way affiliated with Weigh Safe) has led to a lot of comments and info in general being shared with me about the hitch. I have seen a few failures but many, many times more success stories. I also believe that the safety chain interference issue is contributing to some of these problems. We had a gauge failure that I firmly believe was absolutely caused by taking our rig thru a big wah out off road that caused the gauge to be subjected to much to much pressure. WS replaced the gauge very quickly and have had no issues since. I remain a believer in the hitch.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Our video work involving the Weigh Safe (I paid full retail for the hitch and am in no way affiliated with Weigh Safe) has led to a lot of comments and info in general being shared with me about the hitch. I have seen a few failures but many, many times more success stories. I also believe that the safety chain interference issue is contributing to some of these problems. We had a gauge failure that I firmly believe was absolutely caused by taking our rig thru a big wah out off road that caused the gauge to be subjected to much to much pressure. WS replaced the gauge very quickly and have had no issues since. I remain a believer in the hitch.
    One thing those posts on the Facebook page have shown is that they have very good customer service. To me it seems they need to be utilized far too much.

I really like the theory behind the hitch. It really makes sense when you're dealing with a toy hauler. Putting a 1500lb side by side in the garage will surely make a huge difference in handling vs empty and it would be nice to make a simple adjustment depending on our load for the trip. However, I'm thinking it may be easier to just go with a larger E4 which I know is simple and reliable and set it up with and without the side by side.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    One thing those posts on the Facebook page have shown is that they have very good customer service. To me it seems they need to be utilized far too much.

I really like the theory behind the hitch. It really makes sense when you're dealing with a toy hauler. Putting a 1500lb side by side in the garage will surely make a huge difference in handling vs empty and it would be nice to make a simple adjustment depending on our load for the trip. However, I'm thinking it may be easier to just go with a larger E4 which I know is simple and reliable and set it up with and without the side by side.
    I totally agree that the Weigh Safe is super nice for toyhaulers and probably not necessary for a regular tag trailer that is loaded the same all the time or close to it. One thing to remember here especially for the bigger toy haulers like our 31G is tongue weight rating. The heaviest E4 is rated for 1600 lbs. My 31G had more that that totally dry. It's up over 2000 with full tanks and nothing in the garage. I don't know of any hitch other than the Weigh Safe or the Blue Ox that has that has a rating to handle that.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast