User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is correct, I will correct my opening post. I have the 5.3L ECOTEC3 V8 W/O DFM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robmcqueen View Post
    For that year 3.23 is the only alxe ratio you can get unless you have the Max trailering package then you get 3.42
    Yes. I know. Mine has a 3.42
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    First, welcome to the forum!

I can’t speak for the 23lde although its dry numbers look similar to the 22mle, but here’s what my CAT scale weight was last September loaded for camping with a full tank of gas. Maybe you can extrapolate for the 23lde or an owner can chime in.

22mle
    Tongue- 740
    Total trailer-5960
    Combined- 12180

My truck
    GVWR- 7100
    GCWR- 16000
    GAWR Front- 4000
    GAWR Rear- 4150
    Hitch class 4 max- 1050
    Curb weight- 5643 (from CAT scale)
    Payload- 1457(from CAT scale)
    Rear end- 4:30

We are light packers and don’t carry any significant water in the tanks. We also usually camp in MD, PA, DE, VA, and occasionally in WV to give you an idea of the terrain.

Hope this helps your decision.
    This is excellent first hand info ^^

You’re near the upper end of half ton capability but still within it, both in length and weight. I would pull either trailer and actually do pull a slightly larger one very comfortably. Comfort is relative, and how you load will matter. Setting up a weight distributing hitch properly makes a huge difference. You’ll also need to be ok revving the engine if you do mountains (it really freaks some people out, but these gas V8s like to run and do it no problem!)

For perspective, do some easy calculations. At 12% of GVWR, expect 840lbs on your tongue. I would say that’s realistic (and reflected above). If you think you travel super heavy or will want to carry a lot of water (most don’t), then do 15% for an extra margin and you’re just under 1050lbs.

As others have mentioned, you can run your truck over a scale (local dump, cat scale at truck stop, etc) with everyone/everything in it if you want to know for sure before buying. 7100-your truck’s weight = remaining weight for a trailer.

IMO, you’re looking at the right size and asking the right questions

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowland View Post

We do not plan to tow a ton. 10-15 trips per year to see how the wife likes it. Mostly highway miles with some boondocking involved.

I own a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 5.3L ECOTEC3 V8 W/O DFM. Some of the numbers I pulled off the door jam sticker are GVWR 7100, GCWR 15000, RGAWR 3800, curb weight 5344, max payload 1756, an rear axle 3.23 ratio.
    OK then, I tow the 22 MLE with the same model truck but with the 3.42 rear.

Real world #s from our last 7 day trip.

Truck/fuel/gear and people (TV) 6125 lbs.
    Tongue weight (TW) 775 lbs.
    Loaded 22 MLE (TT) 6035 lbs.

Total weight (GCWR) 12,160 lbs.

We carry 5gals. of water for toilet flushing along the way. Pack light as in not bringing the house with us. As stated earlier, your safety/comfort level is strictly on you. That stated, IMHO your truck will pull the 22 MLE model. Your rear end gear ratio will come into play so you will need to factor that into your comfort level.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same vehicle. I tow my 200MK with no issues. Like many, I only travel with a little water (for toilet use mainly while travelling) and will fill when I get close to my boondocking destination.
    I did however add lift bags in the back, which I find really helps stabilize everything. By your numbers, and knowing your truck, you would be fine pulling either…I even looked at the 23LDE but wanted full access to fridge/bathroom/kitchen and bed with slide in, love my 200MK.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowland View Post
    Hello and thank you for reading my post. I am brand new to RVing and looking to purchase my first travel trailer. I do have some experience towing work trailers up to 16-20 feet long. We have been looking at different make/models over the last few months. My wife and I have determined that either the 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23LDE or 22 MLE is the best fit for us and how we plan to use it. My wife really wants the 23LDE model but I am unsure if I have the truck for it. I spoke to the dealer and without hesitation he stated my truck is fine to tow it. I have used a online calculator and it comes up green to tow. The problem is I don't really understand all the numbers involved (I have read what the acronyms' mean but now I am lost) and will I be pushing the limit, how it impacts what I have in the truck and how much I have in the travel trailer and where all that weight sits. As like most of you, we have precious cargo that we need to protect as well as others on the road.

We do not plan to tow a ton. 10-15 trips per year to see how the wife likes it. Mostly highway miles with some boondocking involved.

I own a 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 RST 5.3L ECOTEC3 V8 W/O DFM. Some of the numbers I pulled off the door jam sticker are GVWR 7100, GCWR 15000, RGAWR 3800, curb weight 5344, max payload 1756, an rear axle 3.23 ratio.

As stated above I would like to buy either the 23LDE (dry weight 5597 gross weight 6995, hitch weight 524) or 22MLE (dry weight 5716, gross weight 6995, hitch weight 490).

Can I tow either of this comfortably and safely? Or should I look for a lighter/smaller RV?

Thank you so much for your help.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 with the towing package, 5.3L & 3:23 rear gears. When I press the trailer button on the gear shifter all is well. We go to the Ozarks a lot and only on one very long uphill does the motor spin up to about 4,000 RPM. We are pulling a 22MLE and with a Blue Ox equalizer feel safe and not overloaded. I used the manual gear selection on long downhills to save the brakes but probably don't need to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12