User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsmith596 View Post
    Thanks for the info. They are charging 40 a piece for shipping on the Feence batteries so that brings them up to $280 delivered verses $345 for the Ampere. Is it enough savings to take a chance on an unknown compared to the fairly highly rated Ampere? (at least on Amazon) Battle Born wants $874 for a similar battery, what am I missing here?
    It the Ampere Time battery does not have cold charging protection under 32 degrees and cold charging protection for the Feence battery is unknown. If cold charging could be an issue for you you might want to look at other battery brands (Will Prowse has torn down several LiFePo4 batteries with cold charging protection). Otherwise; based on viewing several of Will Prowse's battery tear downs showing similar construction for most of the lower cost LiFePo4 batteries, I would probably buy the lower cost battery(ies). However, if my system would cause very high draw from each battery, I would definitely look into one of the better batteries that Will has torn down in the past.

By high draw I mean more than .5 C from each battery. For example: if I were trying to run an A/C unit off a 12 volt battery bank with only 200 ah of batteries. In this case the draw from each battery would be very high and would probably exceed the 1 C limit of the batteries. On the other hand, if my system were designed with 600 ah of batteries and I ran the cables from each battery to a buss bar before attaching the load then the draw from each battery would be much lower and the risk of overheating would be minimal (note: to minimize the energy drawn from a single battery you should attach the batteries to a Buss Bar with cables versus stringing the batteries together with cables which is very often done).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It the Ampere Time battery does not have cold charging protection under 32 degrees and cold charging protection for the Feence battery is unknown. If cold charging could be an issue for you you might want to look at other battery brands (Will Prowse has torn down several LiFePo4 batteries with cold charging protection). Otherwise; based on viewing several of Will Prowse's battery tear downs showing similar construction for most of the lower cost LiFePo4 batteries, I would probably buy the lower cost battery(ies). However, if my system would cause very high draw from each battery, I would definitely look into one of the better batteries that Will has torn down in the past.

By high draw I mean more than .5 C from each battery. For example: if I were trying to run an A/C unit off a 12 volt battery bank with only 200 ah of batteries. In this case the draw from each battery would be very high and would probably exceed the 1 C limit of the batteries. On the other hand, if my system were designed with 600 ah of batteries and I ran the cables from each battery to a buss bar before attaching the load then the draw from each battery would be much lower and the risk of overheating would be minimal (note: to minimize the energy drawn from a single battery you should attach the batteries to a Buss Bar with cables versus stringing the batteries together with cables which is very often done).
    I don't foresee the cold weather charging to be much of an issue for us, when is starts getting to cold for us to ride our motorcycles, we head further south. As to the draw, I currently am not planning on running the AC but I would like to run my residential fridge as well as light up a few outlets for the tv, computer/printer, etc. Our unit does not have a inverter yet so I am currently shopping on those as well. My main concern is not creating too high of a draw on the batteries to exceed the 1 C limit. My generator will auto start should my voltage become too low so having only 200 ah should not be too much of an problem.

At some point I think I would like to go to a setup like you are running, but for now it's one step at a time. For now I am thinking of the lower priced lithium batteries would be the way to go and the Feence and Ampere Time are certainly there. The Duracell AGM's I am replacing would cost almost as much as these lower priced lithium's.

Thanks again for your advice and input.
    2018 Ford F350
    2019 Momentum 394

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For cold weather, one could:

a. I've seen (but have no link to) heat pads that use the battery to warm above 32F.
    b. Install them under the bed, where presumably it is less likely to get below 32F. (Unless you're from Minnesota, towing in Jan. fleeing to warmer climes or intend to use for ice fishing).
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those with Victron equipment, the latest updates for the inverter/chargers include being able to set a low temp limit that will stop the batteries from being charged. Pretty handy for those of us with batteries without their own low temp protection.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Cheap Lithium Batteries (LiFePo4)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    For those with Victron equipment, the latest updates for the inverter/chargers include being able to set a low temp limit that will stop the batteries from being charged. Pretty handy for those of us with batteries without their own low temp protection.
    Thanks Terry,

Agreed, I have seen that on both the inverters and on the solar charge controller from Victron and what in planned to do with the Ampretime batteries I got.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Thanks Terry,

Agreed, I have seen that on both the inverters and on the solar charge controller from Victron and what in planned to do with the Ampretime batteries I got.

Bill
    Once you get your Ampere Time batteries installed, please let us know how they perform and how you like them. It will really help anyone considering the Ampere Time batteries in the future. Ampere Time batteries seem to be building a good reputation as a solid LiFePo4 battery supplier.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get your Ampere Time batteries installed, please let us know how they perform and how you like them. It will really help anyone considering the Ampere Time batteries in the future. Ampere Time batteries seem to be building a good reputation as a solid LiFePo4 battery supplier.
    Happy o. I purchased 2 300ah batteries and an excited to get them in.

I know I seen seen the setup in YouTube videos.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm just going to ask. What is this .5C 1C thing please?
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surfing on Amazon today and I came across a Super Cheap 100ah Lithium battery. The batteries ship from US and Canada warehouses so you don't have to wait months for them to arrive from China.

The Price is $239 + 40 shipping (you may save some shipping cost by buying multiple batteries).

It does not appear that these batteries have cold weather protection, however if you don't camp in cold weather, or are going to install them inside these should work well.

Here is the Link:

https://www.amazon.com/FEENCE-LiFePO...%2C127&sr=1-33

PS: Let us know if you buy any of these and how well they work for you.
    I saw a review of this battery below on YouTube. This seems to be a good value with a question about low temp charging. Shipping is free!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B63CP8DK...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have SOK batteries with low temp charging protection. I also have a Victron solar charge controller that could be programmed for low temp charging protection. However, my tech space is the front compartment which is unheated but the best location for us. I have also be caught in temperatures below freezing on a number of occasions and don’t want to be without battery power. So I have 12v 12w heat pads on each battery within my enclosure connected to a 12v digital temperature controller. It comes on at 3 degrees C and goes off at 5 degrees C so I can always count on my batteries working.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast