User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the issues with the Westlake are with the smaller diameter, or lesser load range. The Westlake "G" tires seem to perform better with fewer problems.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Most of the issues with the Westlake are with the smaller diameter, or lesser load range. The Westlake "G" tires seem to perform better with fewer problems.
    We have 20,000 km on our Westlakes and no problems. My brother had Goodyears on his 2021 GD 1/2 ton fifth wheel and he had a blow out last week with less than 2,000 miles. Luck of the draw maybe.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blew out a Westlake on my 2021 Imagine (probably had less than 10,000 miles on it) in August. After hearing all the problems with the Westlake tires I went to Discount Tire and replaced all four (at about $160 each) with the Goodyear equivalent. Peace of mind, at least! I need to add that Discount Tire said that they used to handle Westlake but their failure rate had forced them to drop the line.

Jay - Edna, Texas
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    Ford F250 SD 6.7 Diesel
    Last edited by Jwalthall; 09-28-2022 at 04:19 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had two sets of Westlake g’s, never had a problem with any of them. I believe the key is to replace them in that 4-5 year range (from date stamp on tire).

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    One a 300 mile round trip we had three blowouts on the Westlakes. They are the original tires (2016) that came on it and I know that I should have changed them earlier.
    I have the TST tire monitor. On the first blowout, not a peep out of the monitor until after the tire blew, then of course it gave me a low pressure warning. That wiped out my fender flare and bent the sheet metal. I was doing 70 mph.
    This was 20 miles from home. Made it the rest of the 120 miles without issue.
    On the way back driving 65 I had a second blowout. This wiped out the fender flare on the other side. I had placed aluminum plate underneath the wheel wheels back in '16 when I bought it. Glad I did. One piece got bend and halfway ripped out. Once again, no indication from the TPMS until after the blowout. This was on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30. We found a tire shop open and took both tires. He only had two used tires in that size so we bought them. Headed out again this time at 60 mph. 20 minutes later a third Westlake blew! I installed my last spare and we continued on at 55 mph. 4 hours later made it home.

All three of those Westlakes failed the same. A complete failure. They blew like a bomb. In all three instances the tpms system didn't do me any good. None were losing pressures or getting hot. I also have a 2017 Alumna flatbed with Westlakes. Coming home three months ago one of those blew the same way. I was also monitoring with the tpms. Same thing happened- no warning. That blow out completely destroyed my aluminum fender.

I put GY Endurance on the Alumna trailer and wonder if I should do the same for the 29RS? Thoughts?

So what I learned from this is:
    1. TPMS doesn't do much good unless you have a slow leak- not sure I will buy another
    2. Change tires after 5-6 years. Tires had less than 6000 miles and were kept in the barn or covered up with covers.
    3. Never buy Westlakes as what's the chance of three blowing on one short 300 mile trip??? It's like they had a built in expiration and were rigged to blow after a certain time. LOL
    Thats why they call them Westlake bombs. I heard about this right after buying my rls 303 in Laughlin NV. I finished my winter stay in AZ, went home to Oregon and replaced them with sailuns. I probably didn't have 2k miles on them. I've had blowouts on other trailers. I sure didn't want to risk it with known Westlake failure reputation. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had 3 almost new tires (Chinese made but don't remember what brand) go bad in two seasons on our first fifth wheel but have had really good luck (maybe just luck) with the Westlake load rating "E" tires that came with our 230RL. Finished this summer's 12,000 kilometre run (7500 miles), including through super-hot conditions in the US southwest, and our 5 year old tires now have 44,000 kilometres (27,000 miles) on them. Plenty of tread left for local trips but will replace them before going east next year.
    I'm thinking that the main reason for such longevity, besides running them at the manufacture's recommended max pressure of 80 psi, is my driving speed ... 55 to 58 mph. Thankyou my polite and kind American friends for allowing me to dawdle along in front of you. We were delighted with how you folks (except Californians) stay at or below speed limits most of the time. And of course, on multi-lanes we just stayed out of the way in the driving lane.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    One a 300 mile round trip we had three blowouts on the Westlakes. They are the original tires (2016) that came on it and I know that I should have changed them earlier.
    I have the TST tire monitor. On the first blowout, not a peep out of the monitor until after the tire blew, then of course it gave me a low pressure warning. That wiped out my fender flare and bent the sheet metal. I was doing 70 mph.
    This was 20 miles from home. Made it the rest of the 120 miles without issue.
    On the way back driving 65 I had a second blowout. This wiped out the fender flare on the other side. I had placed aluminum plate underneath the wheel wheels back in '16 when I bought it. Glad I did. One piece got bend and halfway ripped out. Once again, no indication from the TPMS until after the blowout. This was on a Sunday afternoon at 2:30. We found a tire shop open and took both tires. He only had two used tires in that size so we bought them. Headed out again this time at 60 mph. 20 minutes later a third Westlake blew! I installed my last spare and we continued on at 55 mph. 4 hours later made it home.

All three of those Westlakes failed the same. A complete failure. They blew like a bomb. In all three instances the tpms system didn't do me any good. None were losing pressures or getting hot. I also have a 2017 Alumna flatbed with Westlakes. Coming home three months ago one of those blew the same way. I was also monitoring with the tpms. Same thing happened- no warning. That blow out completely destroyed my aluminum fender.

I put GY Endurance on the Alumna trailer and wonder if I should do the same for the 29RS? Thoughts?

So what I learned from this is:
    1. TPMS doesn't do much good unless you have a slow leak- not sure I will buy another
    2. Change tires after 5-6 years. Tires had less than 6000 miles and were kept in the barn or covered up with covers.
    3. Never buy Westlakes as what's the chance of three blowing on one short 300 mile trip??? It's like they had a built in expiration and were rigged to blow after a certain time. LOL
    I apologize in advance, but I disagree with your statement that the tire monitor system is no good. A lot of people on here will disagree just about everything I am about to say, but please here me out...I also had a 2016 Westlake tire take out the side of my wheel well ($1750 insurance claim) and that was the last time I followed the advise on here about tire pressures.

We have a 2016 Solitude 370FL. I used to run the tires a little under rated max pressure until I read on here that the max pressure should ALWAYS be used as Gospel. The morning of the insurance claim I set all four tires to exactly 80 PSI at 70 degrees temp. 90 minutes later I had the same explosion you had and we travel only 62 Mph. On a previous trailer I had two blowouts by setting to the max pressure.

Depending on which way the wind is blowing you will read several ways on here to set your tire pressure. Here's what I did about 3 years or so ago...

First, I researched and purchased the EEZ Tire system with 10 sensors and a repeater (Our 2006 F250 Super Duty has no TPMS sensors). My brother had those and liked them.

Second, I bought 4-Carlisle 14-ply Load Range "G" trailer tires. We had same four Carlisle tires on our 39 foot travel trailer for 20 of the 25 years we pulled it. I checked the back-side of my Solitude rims and discovered that they were rated for max 110 Lbs tire pressure, as are the new Carlisle tires.

Third, I set all of my sensor MAX pressures to the max cold pressures on the tires. I then set all of the tires to that max pressure.

Here's what happened...We got 15 miles down the road and all of my tires had to have air let out because the pressures went up, which I expected. However, this went on for a long time until the pressure finally stopped increasing.

Here's what I learned from this... My trailer tires gain 30-35 Lbs each while running down the freeway at 62 Mph with the tires in the sun being 5-10 Lbs higher than the shade side. That would put them way over the maximum rim pressure rating had I not set them lower to start with.

I started experimenting... My truck tires are rated 80 PSI max cold. I start out with the front truck tires at about 72 Psi, and the dually's at about 70 because they feel the engine heat more. If it is a hot day I start my trailer tires about 83 Lbs and about 88 on a cooler day.

Prognosis: My tires are showing almost no wear and they stop increasing pressure after about an hour to 90 minutes on the road. If I set them correctly, one or two of the trailer tires might actually hit the 110 max pressure but they stop there. Peace of mind while pulling all that machinery down the freeway is priceless compared to the cost of the sensors.

I know this is not what is being advised by most on this forum, but this really works for us. The tire temps never get more than a few degrees over ambient temperature, but I don't really trust that measurement because it is taken outside of the tires in the airflow passing by. Setting the tire pressures after hooking up is the last thing before winding up the power cord for us. Please buy the Carlisle tires (they cost $100 less than the tires for my Taurus)!

PM me if you care to discuss further...
    Last edited by fez111; 09-28-2022 at 07:48 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    My Bridgestone Duravis tires were Tennessee made, and they were freshly built (date wise) when I ordered them thru Costco.
    What is the load rating on those?

Regarding Westlakes; I also had no issues for 4 seasons on the Westlake G's. I store my trailer outdoors in full sun; after 4 seasons I had visible signs of cracking in the side walls, so replaced all four tires.
    Last edited by Keebler; 09-29-2022 at 05:54 AM.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a blowout on our 2020 Imagine with E rated Westlakes, tires had less than 3000 miles. I replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires and so far they have been fine. We seem to be getting 1 mpg better mileage as well.
    Evan & Mary
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Had a set of Goodyears on my Arctic Fox 5th a few years back. Blew a right rear (in my Avatar). Put on a set of LT Coopers & had no problem with them till I sold it. Don't think GY are as bullet proof as a lot of people think.
    Had WL on my Solitude, put on Sailuns after a year with no problems in the past three. Sold the WL for $200
    Which GY? The Old Marathon or the Endurance?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast