User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kayak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We see a couple that we like but I'm worried about the seams. Most writes up about inflatable kayaks say you should get seams that are welded and most kayaks they are glued.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    We see a couple that we like but I'm worried about the seams. Most writes up about inflatable kayaks say you should get seams that are welded and most kayaks they are glued.
    This is why we got the hard Kayak, I was always worried about getting a puncture or leak when we were far from shore. Or if you wanted to explore shallow areas it was tricky. It will happen sooner or later! Now we have a very fast and secure Kayak to enjoy.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I don't know what you consider "expensive", but we are going to start full timing next fall and we are getting this one. https://www.seaeagle.com/FastTrackKayaks/385ft.

I've currently got two inflatable and two hard shell kayaks but none of them are really appropriate for what we are planning. The 2 person Sea Eagle 385 Fast Track is primarily for lakes and calm rivers and has both an inflatable keel and a skeg for tracking. Inflatable are notorious for poor tracking but the inflatable keel makes this one work. It is also rated for Class 2 whitewater (mild) so it is pretty tough and stable. I've done a lot of research and this one is the pick of the litter for a good all-around inflatable.

I purchased an inexpensive inflatable awhile back (≈$100) and we used it once. It was a joke. Even though we were both experienced with canoes we couldn't keep this POS from going in circles. It has been sitting in a box for the last 18 years.

Also be careful with what many vendors call a "2 person" kayak. Most are 2 person if you both want to sit with your knees in your chin. The Sea Eagle 385 is 12.5 ft and is marginally OK. Anything less would not work for two people.
    With the sides being a little lower on the 385 fasttrack do you get water in the kayak when paddling on lakes or slow rivers? Have you ever paddled against the current in a slow moving river or against wind? If so how well does it paddle and track?
    Allen & Denise
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the sides being a little lower on the 385 fasttrack do you get water in the kayak when paddling on lakes or slow rivers? Have you ever paddled against the current in a slow moving river or against wind? If so how well does it paddle and track?
    Sorry, I should have been a little clearer. We are planning to get the the 385 fasttrack but haven't ordered it yet. However, I have a different, smaller inflatable I use for Class II and III whitewater, which has about the same side height. On calm lakes and rivers, the only water you will get in the kayak is from water off of your paddles. If you have any wind and waves or boat wakes, you will get water in the kayak if you are moving, no matter what kind of kayak you have. That's happened to me on lakes even with a hard shell kayak with a small oval cockpit spray skirt rim. In warm weather, no problem. The inflatables have drains that will clear out almost all of the water, especially with the hard floor in the 385 FT. You won't be sitting it the water. In colder weather, it can be a bit bracing when wave spray hits you but with the appropriate clothes (gortex shells all the way up to drysuits), it shouldn't be a problem.

I've paddled my current inflatable upstream in slow rivers and against the wind. It works, but not great as it doesn't have any kind of a keel structure. The 385 FT, with the front inflatable keel, the hard chines, and the rear skeg, should track much, much better. The bottom tracking structure is why we picked this one to get.

SeaEagle has a very forgiving 120 day trial period so we don't see a lot of risk in trying it out. We would be out return shipping but that's probably less than one rental fee for a rental kayak.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it was a little more then what I wanted to pay but just placed my order for the sea eagle 385 fasttrack.
    Today was the last day for a free electric pump with your order.

I have 120 days to give it a try and if I don't like it I can send it back to get my money back.
    Allen & Denise
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it was a little more then what I wanted to pay but just placed my order for the sea eagle 385 fasttrack.
    Today was the last day for a free electric pump with your order.

I have 120 days to give it a try and if I don't like it I can send it back to get my money back.
    The only lingering concern I have about that model is the length. When you try it out, I would be very curious about your impression of roominess with two people. I have considered the longer version - 465 FT - but prefer the smaller size and lighter weight. I will probably order the 385 with the thought of returning it for the 465 if we find it is too cramped.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by copytmpmzl View Post
    no response of this
    This is a forum for Grand Design RV so getting an answer to sailing related questions might be a little hard. Although there are Grand Design owners that also sail or use to.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    The only lingering concern I have about that model is the length. When you try it out, I would be very curious about your impression of roominess with two people. I have considered the longer version - 465 FT - but prefer the smaller size and lighter weight. I will probably order the 385 with the thought of returning it for the 465 if we find it is too cramped.
    The weather in PA hasn't been good enough for us to give the kayak a try. However we did inflate in the living room to make sure everything looked ok. Wife and I sat in it and it seems very roomy for us. We both were able to stretch are legs. With that said we are on the small side, wife 5'4' and me 5'8', so if you were tall you would most likely not be able to completely stretch your legs.
    Allen & Denise
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather in PA hasn't been good enough for us to give the kayak a try. However we did inflate in the living room to make sure everything looked ok. Wife and I sat in it and it seems very roomy for us. We both were able to stretch are legs. With that said we are on the small side, wife 5'4' and me 5'8', so if you were tall you would most likely not be able to completely stretch your legs.
    Thank you for the info. We are 5'4" and 6'0" so it shouldn't make much difference. We will order the 385 and try it out.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by copytmpmzl View Post
    no response of this
    I might be missing something, but a good portion of the discussion has been about Sea Eagle kayaks. I've had several hard shell and high end inflatable kayaks and selected a Sea Eagle (Fasttrack 385) over other brands to get for our RV life. Other experienced kayakers, both lake and whitewater, suggested I look at Sea Eagle when I was researching. One of the best things about Sea Eagle is a very forgiving trial/return policy.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234