User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar in series or parallel?

I recently purchased a 2024 Imagine 2500RL that came with a factory-installed Furrion 40A MPPT solar charge controller and a 165W panel on the roof. For my previous camper, I purchased a kit from Renogy that came with 2 x 100W (12V) panels and a 40A MPPT controller.

Since I purchased my new Imagine before installing the panels on my previous camper, I want to install the panels (only the panels, not the controller) on my Imagine, and use the already installed Furrion charge controller and 165W panel that came with my Imagine. I'd also like to do this using the existing wiring (if possible) and not have to replace the wires coming from the roof into my bay (where the controller and soon-to-be inverter live).

I'm also currently using the AGM battery that came with the Imagine, but plan on replacing it with at least 2 x 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries (probably more as necessary or advised).

My questions.

1. Since the Renogy panels are 100W each and the panel that came with my Imagine is 165W, should I wire the panels in series or parallel?
    2. If I run them in series, do I need to also wire the new batteries in series, or can I wire them in parallel to keep their output at 12V (200Ah) so I don't have to change anything else in the camper?

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProxyProdigy View Post
    I recently purchased a 2024 Imagine 2500RL that came with a factory-installed Furrion 40A MPPT solar charge controller and a 165W panel on the roof. For my previous camper, I purchased a kit from Renogy that came with 2 x 100W (12V) panels and a 40A MPPT controller.

Since I purchased my new Imagine before installing the panels on my previous camper, I want to install the panels (only the panels, not the controller) on my Imagine, and use the already installed Furrion charge controller and 165W panel that came with my Imagine. I'd also like to do this using the existing wiring (if possible) and not have to replace the wires coming from the roof into my bay (where the controller and soon-to-be inverter live).

I'm also currently using the AGM battery that came with the Imagine, but plan on replacing it with at least 2 x 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries (probably more as necessary or advised).

My questions.

1. Since the Renogy panels are 100W each and the panel that came with my Imagine is 165W, should I wire the panels in series or parallel?
    2. If I run them in series, do I need to also wire the new batteries in series, or can I wire them in parallel to keep their output at 12V (200Ah) so I don't have to change anything else in the camper?

Thank you in advance.
    Since I believe your Furrion charge controller only supports 12 volts, I think you'll need to wire the panels in parallel. You should get around 300 watts since the stock panel will only perform at the rate of your two Renogy panels. The batteries should also be wired in parallel to be compatible with the 12-volt system in your camper.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My questions.

Thank you in advance.
    Since the Furrion and Renogy panels have different electrical specifications (operating voltage and amperage) you can't simply string them together and expect them to work. Solar panels in a series or parallel configuration need to be electrically the same in order for the MPPT Controller to operate properly. It would be like having a 12v battery installed in your camper and trying to install a single 6v battery to increase your capacity, it just won't work.

What you can do, however, is install the two Renogy panels and the Renogy Solar Charge Controller as a separate system and connect the output from the Renogy Solar Charge Controller to the batteries via a Buss Bar (in parallel with the output from the OEM Controller.

PS: I recommend installing the two Renogy panels in series.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!
    Maybe this video will give you more detailed insight.

https://youtu.be/jejro4zkl8I?si=sy3OGWXskGq0HU6O

Best Wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Maybe this video will give you more detailed insight.

https://youtu.be/jejro4zkl8I?si=sy3OGWXskGq0HU6O

Best Wishes, Frank.
    This guys explanations are much easier to understand than anymore else I've watched... Thanks for sharing the link!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar