User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is common knowledge that poor quality ST tires are a serious issue. We're talking life and death here with very poor quality tires also on utility, boat, horse and many other kinds of trailers carrying heavy loads.
    The NHTSA has essentially turned their heads and not monitored tire quality.

But with only one U.S. manufacturer of ST tires, the industry still doesn't have the supply of quality tires even if a RV company wanted to step up and spend a few more dollars per unit to potentially save lives.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hammmitc View Post
    Jim - toy hauler was empty, tanks were empty, I was no where near capacity on this trailer, if I could post pictures of the tires you would understand. The tires were not made properly, I don't make tries for living and can tell that, the tread came apart the exact same way on both tires and the tread I was able to save you can see the seam where it was attached to the tire.
    I understand and have been there myself. I've had the exact same failure mode. My tire peeled off the tread and was still fully inflated. It did quite a bit of damage.

I'd still suggest you get the weights documented in case you proceed with a legal remedy.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just had ANOTHER Westlake tire blow out on our Reflection 5th wheel while freeway driving yesterday. Heard a huge bang and pulled over immediately. Saved our rim this time. This is the 2nd blowout on these tires. We also lost an entire wheel- sheared off lug nuts....have no idea where it landed. Another driver alerted us. We have only had the camper 1 and 1/2 years. Seriously considering replacing the rest of the tires as this is totally unacceptable and could have resulted in a terrible accident. Told GD design about it and they said " huh, ok thank you".

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new 372WB should be arriving in a few days. Before I take delivery I am swapping all 5 Westlakes for Goodyear G614..... Discount Tire is giving me $100 each for them.....which is more then the are worth it appears.....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    ...Before I take delivery I am swapping all 5 Westlakes for Goodyear G614..
    I did the same thing. One less thing to worry about when towing.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I need to decide which TPMS system...... EEZ...?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried really hard to make my Westlake E rated tires work. But when I got the same failure as the original poster it caused $3500 worth of damage. Nothing but Goodyear G614's for me from now on.

Litigation? Good Luck! The Westlake tires are within rated specifications of the intended load. If you didn't get a certified weigh before the failure it will be difficult for you to prove you were not overloaded. That will be the first accusation that is hurled at you. Second will be tire pressure, so the next question will be do you have a Tire Pressure Monitor System. If not did you keep a log of your tire pressure?

So you have some he said she said conflict going on. Reasonable doubt, preponderance of evidence, I am no lawyer but think you will have a tough row to hoe in getting any satisfaction via litigation.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have gathered and debated our own data on this issue, at length on this forum. While many are not convinced, the vast majority of the information available points to a very low failure rate on Westlake tires. Less than 1% has been claimed by LionsHead who is the Westlake tire supplier. NHTSA has never even responded (to my knowledge) to any of the complaints filed by owners. Maybe a lawyer would get a response ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks ago we were on the last leg of our trip and heading west out of Ely. NV on Highway 50...… we were passed by a Momentum which had been camped near us in the KOA. It was in the upper 90's and he passed us at about 70mph, well a few miles down the road I came around a curve and there was a huge chunk of tread in the roadway and I could see him pulled over up ahead. We stopped and gave them a hand and it was one of his driver side Westlake's and the tread had separated from the tire. He saw it start to go in his side mirror so was able to stop with no damage, They were his stock tires with about 10,000 miles on them. His garage was empty, but it was def. hot out and it seems he liked to haul at around 70 because he passed me again a little while later.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed mine from Tampa, Florida to Austin Texas at 75mph and it was 95+ the whole time. No problems at all. Out course they are brand new though. I'm changing them before heading to Alaska next summer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast