Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greasing suspension on 303

I searched the GD literature and the Dexter website and was not able to find this information. Hopefully, someone on here will have the answer. How often should I grease the suspension, and, what type of grease should I use? Also, what is the purpose of the rubber bumper in the center of the springs? Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	15624
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick
    I would grease once or twice a year depending on how much you travel. I use the wheel bearing grease, you could use just standard grease.
    Also if you have not greased this since new you should do it now, its been seen that GD just wipes grease on the fittings with no grease actually pumped into the fitting.
    The rubber is like a shock absorber between the 2 sets of springs, for a smoother ride.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    I searched the GD literature and the Dexter website and was not able to find this information. Hopefully, someone on here will have the answer. How often should I grease the suspension, and, what type of grease should I use? Also, what is the purpose of the rubber bumper in the center of the springs? Thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	15624
    Hi Nick,

You should grease the fittings on the bushing bolts (they are called "Zerk" fittings) until you see a little bit of grease coming out between the bushings and the bolt. After that, one or two pumps of the grease gun once or twice a year should be sufficient.

The "rubber bumper" is a road shock absorber. You have Dexter suspension, so you have the Dexter version of this. Other manufacturers have similar devices. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Sus...71-653-00.html. There are also Youtube videos if you search on Dexter EZ Flex.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out to grease the suspension and found two of the bolts won’t accept grease. I suspect that they haven’t been drilled so grease won’t enter. A closer inspection looks like they have no grease on them. I have an appointment with my dealer in a few weeks. I’ll add these issues to my list for correction.
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out to grease the suspension and found two of the bolts won’t accept grease.
    @Nick1234 -
    That happened to me the first time as well. It's a common problem. If you lift some weight off the suspension, they will most likely take grease. I just used my auto level system for this. Worked great!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nick1234 - Brian is spot on with his recommendation. Another trick is to use a grease gun with at least 10,000PSI. It really made a difference for me. Those grease passages are tight, especially with the weight of the trailer on them. Higher pressure will help overcome that some times.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll be going camping this week. I’ll try to grease it after is do the auto level. Thank you all for your input.
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out to grease the suspension and found two of the bolts won’t accept grease. I suspect that they haven’t been drilled so grease won’t enter. A closer inspection looks like they have no grease on them. I have an appointment with my dealer in a few weeks. I’ll add these issues to my list for correction.
    Nick - The grease hole are supposed to be located at the 3 or 9 o'clock positions . . . but production assembly doesn't seem to accomplish this. This allows grease to enter at "unloaded" positions. Lifting the trailer by the frame will change the loading on the bolts and will likely allow you to get grease into these bushings.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS