User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using a drone to inspect the top of your RV

Is anybody using a drone to inspect the top of their rig? If so what type are you using and do you recommend the one you are using. Thanks in advance.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe a drone is going to be able to tell you if sealant is loose, etc. This is something that needs to be done upon close inspection with the naked eye and/or glasses and your hand. JMHO
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cameras on consumer drones are meant for landscape type shots, not close ups. Having said that, if you spent a lot of time within a foot of the roof maneuvering around all the obstacles up there you could do a cursory examine but as @JCZhome said, you really need a close inspection. I've owned several drones over the past few years and I'm very comfortable flying them but I wouldn't use one to inspect my roof for anything other than leaves, branches or major damage, etc. You need to get really close to see gaps in the sealant.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at some roofer videos that used drones. It is doable but at a price point I am not willing to pay. LOL. The minimal investment would be around $800 and that's with no extra batteries or accessories. I just can't justify that sort of expenditure to the wife or even myself. Thanks for the help folks. I really appreciate this forum.
    Last edited by Dynamowhum; 11-13-2018 at 05:21 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could use a drone for a house as you would just be looking for missing shingles or tiles that would be obvious from a distance. With an RV, you are looking for tiny cracks or gaps in sealant. Big difference.

But, you could use the roof inspection as a great way to justify a new drone with your wife! They are a lot of fun to play around with and are very sophisticated now. I shot this video with the press of a single button:

https://youtu.be/BJE1I15CG8Q
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch