User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from a prospective GD owner

Hello All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of months and have been very impressed with the positive tone of the forum. We currently own another brand Travel trailer, but are looking to move to a Grand Design. We are very impressed with what we have seen and are looking at a solitude 344gk or perhaps a reflection 320mks.

I look forward to being able to ask a lot of questions as we prepare for retirement and much longer trips in our RV

Don & Jane

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Don and Jane, Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here, lots of very professional expertise, lots of experience. Just choose your dealer wisely. There are many threads here to hopefully steer you in the right direction.
    Nancy and Bruce
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

Lots of great folks with abundant knowledge on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions (I've ask some really dumb one's) but always got a good response.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, welcome. Ask away and someone will help you!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Don and Jane and welcome to the fourm. We are (am) a complete newbie. The Solitude 310GK is our first RV. I learned a lot from the very helpful, knowledgeable and respectable people on this site. All of my questions have been answered with very helpful replies.

We live in SE Fort Collins to and purchased from Windish last winter/spring.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Chris ,

We are in south west FC, and are also looking at a solitude 310 or 344 from Windish. ( also considering a reflection ). Still early in the process but trying to learn as much as possible.

How do you like pulling the 310 with your SRW truck?

Don
    Don & Jane Kyle
    Dash, our camping dog ( English Cocker Spaniel )
    26' TT
    2004 Chevy Silverado 1500

Here are the states we have camped in

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The F350 pulls our 310GK (details in sig) just fine. We put about 6,000 miles on the combo this (last) year, mostly in Colorado and a big trip out to Oregon. No problems and very comfortable. That is the upside. As Paul Harvey used to say "and the rest of the story" this is the max trailer I would want to pull with the single rear wheel truck. I am below my axle/tire/wheel weight ratings, but do not have much margin. I am usually within a couple hundred pounds of my GVWR - max was 100# over (11,600#). Great on GCWR (typically 22,000~22,500# vs rating of 28,700#). I do watch what and how I load the trailer and have run it over certified scales (the CAT scales at Johnson Corner just South on I-25) multiple times. All loaded with some fresh water in the tank, I am typically 13,500 to 13,800# total in the trailer with about 2,900# of that on the pin. The truck has a lot of power (With the trailer, I can accelerate going UP I-70 either side of Eisenhower pass). The exhaust brake is fantastic! I often do not have to use any service brake - truck or trailer, coming down the passes. This is good as they (service brakes) are cool and fresh if I need them. This is also good as the trailer brakes (once that where fully bedded in) are mediocre at best. The ride is very nice (in general), both with and without the trailer. Santa just purchased an air compressor so we can lower the trucks rear tire pressure when unload (typically 65 PSI which makes a much nicer ride) and air them back up to 80 PSI for towing. Fronts stay at 65 PSI. The stock 48 gallon diesel take is very nice. Towing I plan on 9.5 MPG. Empty (sight seeing) I plan 15 MPG. Typical numbers are just a little higher (not much). The surprise (to me) was how much DEF I burn towing. Still working out the numbers, but looks to be around 500 miles per gallon! When on a 3,000+ mile trip (towing) that is most of the 7.5 gallon DEF tank. Plan accordingly. Towing in the middle of central Oregon (headed Eat) is not where you want to be getting "truck shutting down due to low DEF" messages. Ask me how I know . Never got to that point, but it had my attention. Empty, I think I am getting about 1,200~1,500 miles per gallon of DEF.

Let me know if you want more info or clarification. PM me or we can start a new thread.

Sorry, way to much info. Did not mean to high jack the intro thread. Now returning you to the regularly scheduled interrupt.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mountaindon - welcome to the forum!!!!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    The F350 pulls our 310GK (details in sig) just fine. We put about 6,000 miles on the combo this (last) year, mostly in Colorado and a big trip out to Oregon. No problems and very comfortable. That is the upside. As Paul Harvey used to say "and the rest of the story" this is the max trailer I would want to pull with the single rear wheel truck. I am below my axle/tire/wheel weight ratings, but do not have much margin. I am usually within a couple hundred pounds of my GVWR - max was 100# over (11,600#). Great on GCWR (typically 22,000~22,500# vs rating of 28,700#). I do watch what and how I load the trailer and have run it over certified scales (the CAT scales at Johnson Corner just South on I-25) multiple times. All loaded with some fresh water in the tank, I am typically 13,500 to 13,800# total in the trailer with about 2,900# of that on the pin. The truck has a lot of power (With the trailer, I can accelerate going UP I-70 either side of Eisenhower pass). The exhaust brake is fantastic! I often do not have to use any service brake - truck or trailer, coming down the passes. This is good as they (service brakes) are cool and fresh if I need them. This is also good as the trailer brakes (once that where fully bedded in) are mediocre at best. The ride is very nice (in general), both with and without the trailer. Santa just purchased an air compressor so we can lower the trucks rear tire pressure when unload (typically 65 PSI which makes a much nicer ride) and air them back up to 80 PSI for towing. Fronts stay at 65 PSI. The stock 48 gallon diesel take is very nice. Towing I plan on 9.5 MPG. Empty (sight seeing) I plan 15 MPG. Typical numbers are just a little higher (not much). The surprise (to me) was how much DEF I burn towing. Still working out the numbers, but looks to be around 500 miles per gallon! When on a 3,000+ mile trip (towing) that is most of the 7.5 gallon DEF tank. Plan accordingly. Towing in the middle of central Oregon (headed Eat) is not where you want to be getting "truck shutting down due to low DEF" messages. Ask me how I know . Never got to that point, but it had my attention. Empty, I think I am getting about 1,200~1,500 miles per gallon of DEF.

Let me know if you want more info or clarification. PM me or we can start a new thread.

Sorry, way to much info. Did not mean to high jack the intro thread. Now returning you to the regularly scheduled interrupt.

Chris
    I also was concerned with our GMC Denali when we first got it about how much DEF it was going through. As time went on and more miles on it the DEF usage kept going down to where it is a tolerable amount now.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast