User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/2 ton 3/4 ton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    So Chevy put one extra spring, changed badge and labels from 2500 to 3500 and charged $2,500 more? I’m not convinced that’s the case.
    Here’s an article I found outlining that the 2500 and 2500 are very very similar in the 2018 models. That’s getting off track a bit for this conversation, but if you don’t believe it there definitely is google that will tell you basically everything I’ve outlined here:
    “Engine options are the same for the 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500: the 6.0-liter Vortec V-8 gas engine and the turbo-diesel 6.6-liter Duramax V-8. The maximum gross vehicle weight rating and gross combined weight rating for the Silverado 2500 are 10,000 and 25,300 pounds, respectively. Ratings for the Silverado 3500 are predictably higher for payload, with a higher GVWR at 11,600 but the GCWR is identical to the 2500 at 25,300 pounds. Chevy uses two six-speed automatic transmissions for its heavy-duty trucks. The Vortec gas engine is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6L90 while the Duramax diesel is paired with the heavier-duty Allison 1000.

Two Magna transfer cases are offered and are available for both the 2500 and 3500. The MP1225/6 NQG is a floor-mounted, manually shifted unit and the MP1625/6 NQF is a rotary-dial, electronically shifting unit.

Chevy uses an AAM 11.5-inch rear axle and 9.25-inch front axle for both the gas and diesel drivetrains in the 2500 and 3500 models. The gear ratios are the same for both the 2500 and 3500: 4.10:1 for the gas and 3.73:1 for the diesel. Both these facts are the single biggest factor in why the 2500 and 3500 have the same GCWR numbers.

Additionally, both the Chevrolet Silverado 2500 and 3500 have the same independent (torsion bar) front suspension and rear leaf sprung suspensions; however, the shocks are different depending on trim level/option packages. Finally, while a tire pressure monitoring system is required for all vehicles with a GVWR less than 10,000 pounds, Chevy is the only one of the Detroit Three that doesn't include TPMS on its one-ton trucks yet.”

For obvious reasons I’d state that buying a 3500 you’re paying more for the “bigger truck” also factor in more options. Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I priced out a GMC on their website, the 3500 was actually slightly less than the 2500 (like $200 or something). That was around 18 months ago though.

UPDATE:
    2019 GMC Denali 4WD, standard bed, crew cab, diesel with no other options. Here are the prices:
    2500 - $71,135
    3500 - $70,940

The 3500 is $195 cheaper than the 2500.

The 2019 Chevrolet LTZ 4WD, standard bed, crew cab, diesel with no other options. Here are the prices:
    2500- $65,925
    3500- $66,825

The 3500 is $900 more expensive than the 2500.
    Last edited by bertschb; 07-01-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    These threads always seem to devolve into the same arguments.

People who want the most stable ride, the best climbing and braking performance, the highest payload ratings, the highest safety margins, the lowest possibility of breaking components and the least stressful towing experience opt for modern DRW diesel trucks. As your concern for these things goes down, you are more likely to choose a truck with lower tow/payload ratings and less power. People who tow 15,000lb trailers with 3/4 ton trucks just aren't as worried about the same things that people who have DRW trucks are.

My Solitude is long, tall and heavy at 16,000lbs. I was not comfortable towing it with my 3500 SRW truck so I bought a DRW. Now I'm comfortable. Others would have no problem towing it with a SRW 1 ton or even a 3/4 ton truck. Heck, maybe even a 1/2 ton. Everybody has different levels of risk taking/comfort when towing. Buy whatever you're comfortable with!

The only thing I would ask is if you are exceeding the tow/payload ratings of your truck, don't try to justify it by saying your truck is just as good as the truck that would tow your RV without exceeding the ratings because it's not. You may have great reasons for having an "undersized" truck. Maybe you don't want to spend the money to get something more capable. Maybe you're concerned about the ride. Maybe it won't fit in your garage (like me). Maybe you want something more nimble in parking lots (like me). Maybe you want something that gets better mileage (like me). There are a lot of reasons for having a less capable tow vehicle. Don't try to justify it by saying it tows just as good as xxxxxx. Just own it.
    I think this sums it up nicely. Everyone has a different level of comfort and different level of risk acceptance, either perceived risk, or actual risk.

I tried hard in my mind to justify keeping my Ram 2500 when i was looking hard at the GD Reflections and Solitude. I really loved my 2500, but in the end I knew it would be pushing it for what I wanted. I found a screaming deal on a brand new 2017 3500 SRW, and quite frankly, no way I could see a 2500 pulling the 367BHS, much many of the Solitudes I was looking at.

In the end, you are the only one that has to be convinced. You don't have to convince us.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of the different towing capacities from the 3/4 to 1 ton would the computers controlling everything such as shift points matched with engine be different between the two. Makes sense to me.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman229 View Post
    Sounds to me like roll with the changes was speaking on actual specs of vehicles and not what they “visibly” look like. Looking at a brochure WRITTEN by GM, parts match up, and there’s a small difference between both trucks. While I don’t work in the industry (which by the way, anyone can be anything on the internet) you were specifically speaking on an SUV that you added a factory hitch on something that wasn’t equipped to handle it, VS one that came with it. What roll with the changes is speaking about is 2 vehicles that came off the lot EXACTLY the same. So making a good argument is great if you’re talking apples to apples but you are making an example that’s not even the same here. My only other question here is then what’s got you so invested in proving your point so inaccurately?
    The point I am trying to make is that while the SUV with and without a package (same type of scenario 2500 is not the same as a 3500) is not the same where differences can be difficult to impossible to see. But you missed my point completely.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman229 View Post
    Sounds to me like roll with the changes was speaking on actual specs of vehicles and not what they “visibly” look like. Looking at a brochure WRITTEN by GM, parts match up, and there’s a small difference between both trucks. While I don’t work in the industry (which by the way, anyone can be anything on the internet) you were specifically speaking on an SUV that you added a factory hitch on something that wasn’t equipped to handle it, VS one that came with it. What roll with the changes is speaking about is 2 vehicles that came off the lot EXACTLY the same. So making a good argument is great if you’re talking apples to apples but you are making an example that’s not even the same here. My only other question here is then what’s got you so invested in proving your point so inaccurately?
    Please post the brochure where part numbers on the exact same components are listed between 2500 and 3500. Part numbers please. List them all.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 07-01-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Because of the different towing capacities from the 3/4 to 1 ton would the computers controlling everything such as shift points matched with engine be different between the two. Makes sense to me.
    Whittle burner, your a wise man. Perfectly feasible that shift points based on GCVWR can be different was well as line pressures, torque converters and control and so much more. A higher pressure uses more energy and results in less fuel economy but may be necessary on a truck with much higher GCVWR.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you seeing in the parts manual are not really part numbers as most believe they are. They are part identifiers that tell the computer what part but the computer picks from hundreds of part numbers based up the Year, Model, and sometimes the VIN. Look up some internal parts to a rear end and bring the numbers to Ford and ask to order them and you can't without giving the model and year since it is numerous parts list for different years, and models. I was shown a bearing set with the same part number except for the dash number on the end of the number that wasn't shown in the part manual. One said F250 and the other said F250/F350.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Please post the brochure where part numbers on the exact same components are listed between 2500 and 3500. Part numbers please. List them all.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in recent years the link below has become more relevant than in the past.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...highlight=GVWR
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    So Chevy put one extra spring, changed badge and labels from 2500 to 3500 and charged $2,500 more? I’m not convinced that’s the case.
    Don't sell General Motors short. They (and other auto manufacturers) do some really dumb stuff from time to time. Like they say, "The bottom line is The bottom line."

The parts catalog numbers tell the truth about them.

(I worked for an auto manufacturer for 24 years and retired 12 years later with another auto company.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast