Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 ton 3/4 ton

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheifblueman,

You are correct that it clearly exceeds even the 3500 axle ratings. It probably got lost in the judgemental noise but the point of the thread was that I suspected a bad scale weight. I later weighed it again and confirmed that. It is still more nose heavy than it should be, but it is in a range that I can load it accordingly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    The point I am trying to make is that while the SUV with and without a package (same type of scenario 2500 is not the same as a 3500) is not the same where differences can be difficult to impossible to see. But you missed my point completely.
    Not really. I grasped exactly what you were trying to say. Clearly you’ve missed my point entirely by only responding to a fraction of what I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll With The Changes View Post
    ...I came here for an intelligent technical discussion. I thought that's what we did here.
    It's hard to have intelligent technical discussions when the topic is trucks, hitches or tires. This group does an amazing job on just about all other topics though. Don't give up!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe another way to look at this might be to look at the long term trends in models offered (from all three). Way back, even before my time, maybe, a half ton truck meant 1000 pounds. A 3/4 ton truck meant 1500 pounds, etc. The big jump was a one ton truck was always a dually. They all got heavier and the names began to mean less. Fast forward to the present and we have four models offered. So exactly what is a 3500 SRW? Is it a stiffer 2500 or is it a softer 3500? It is not a stretch to think that the cost of designing, tooling and building four separate trucks is not worth it. So, the marketing people, doing what they do, have added a fourth model at not must extra cost.

Not substantiated fact, but something to make you say hmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to discuss. All the trucks pull. Its all about payload. End of discussion.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2016 Silverado Duramax long bed. A friend of mine works for the town and works with a guy who specs out the trucks for their individual needs. He ran my vin number with the factory and the factory specs for my truck claims I can tow with a pin weight of 3725 lbs. He also recommended not putting air bags on because it would interfere with the computer braking. However I am considering installing air bags for a smoother ride. Any feedback on that subject would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the meaningful input edutron, now I know I don't have to ask questions and dig deeper.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyritejim,

It sounds like you are asking a completely different question.

If you are looking for a smoother ride, it sounds like you want to decrease your load capacity under certain circumstances. You can PM me for an opinion about that or maybe ask your question differently?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim I would politely disagree, i went thru this drill also looking up p/n’s, the rear axle is the same. The only difference is the spring pack, wheels and tires possibly. I looked up #’s on my 2014 Dmax, and my new 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    First the disclaimers: This is my experience only and I do not recommend that this be taken as the final truth.

This sums this up very well. First your rear axle and spring packs are different. Secondly you may want to take the time to look up part numbers on the entire cooling system, transmission cooler, and other thermal components. Don't forget the calibration part numbers. This subject gets tossed around all the time and its the 3/4 ton guys that insist their trucks are the same as a one ton. While they may use a high percentage of parts, they are not the same since each model must be able to pass SAE tests at GCVWR. In the one ton case, the truck is modeled, to handle a higher GCVWR so some components such as bearings, wheels, cooling system components, suspension components, calibrations for different weight classes, and much more are designed for the higher loads then ran through durability tests then finalized to pass SAE tests. GM is more straight forward where Ford based on several packages (Even the F150 HDPP can tow and haul more than some F250s) can result in some lower level F350 trucks having a lower payload and GCVWR of the F250 but you can be sure all these vehicles are designed to haul and tow what is listed on the door jamb labels.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you looked PN numbers online those are not the part number they are part identifier. When you type the number into the computer at the Ford parts counter and add the year and model the computer will select the correct part number for your truck. A rear end carrier bearing has over 100 different part number depending on year and model number and in some cases the VIN number for mid year changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2542 View Post
    Jim I would politely disagree, i went thru this drill also looking up p/n’s, the rear axle is the same. The only difference is the spring pack, wheels and tires possibly. I looked up #’s on my 2014 Dmax, and my new 2018.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 07-07-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast