User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014 Solitude 369RL Hydraulic Issue

So for awhile, my rig had a bad 50amp circuit breaker for the hydraulic leveling system (which I have now read that 80amp is prefered). I replaced it with a 50amp breaker about a year ago and all has been fine until tonight. For some reason, I find that if I use a stabilizer under the tongue, the RV will get out of level (separate issue). So I went out and removed the stabilizer and hit the "auto level" button for the leveling system. The system attempted to raise the front, but the pump was really loud (almost like it was running dry, but has plenty fluid) then it beeped and said: "Error, out of stroke." Well I am in a very level site and have stacks of blocks under all my jacks... so there was plenty of jack left. After a few more failed attempts at "auto level," I just pushed to manually lower the front jacks and after a few moments of loud pump noise, it went back to a normal sound and the jacks lowered. I then decided to see if the jacks would retract so I retracted the 4 back jacks. They went up like normal but once the last one went up and the pump was under more stress, it didn't make its normal "the jacks are up" noise, (which I find to be quieter) it made the loud noise again. I then auto leveled and everything worked as it should. When I went inside, my wife told me that all the lights went very dim (almost off) when the pump was being loud. I then retracted my main slides some, (also hydraulic) they went in like normal. When I let them back out, once they were out all the way, and the pump was under stress, sure enough, all the lights went extremely dim. Any ideas? circuit breaker again? Pump going out? Battery going bad? I have not checked the battery with a volt meter but the little gauge on the RV reads "full" when you check it (on the same system that checks the tanks and it is the original battery so its getting old).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See what the battery indicator reads while it is under high load if possible , as in when the slides are going into the fully extended position. The indicator is only measuring voltage. Amperage output is a much better indicator of battery condition. A cooked battery will come up to normal full voltage easily but it will drop off quickly under load.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    See what the battery indicator reads while it is under high load if possible , as in when the slides are going into the fully extended position. The indicator is only measuring voltage. Amperage output is a much better indicator of battery condition. A cooked battery will come up to normal full voltage easily but it will drop off quickly under load.
    Charlie
    Thanks for this info. I changed out the battery (which was only a group 24 and from what I have read, GD recommends a 27 for my RV) for a group 29. This seems to have solved my problem! No more dimming lights!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. Glad it was an easy fix.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested the volts of my old batter today, now that it has been off my RV for almost 24 hours... only 11.5v! I would say it was past dead...