User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no “bleed over”, by code some things need to be powered all the time (CO detector, emergency brake away system etc). Also for convenience GD has provided constant power to the landing gear and the stereo. My last three 5ers (non GD) we’re also wired this way.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And without further ado, there ^^^^^ is your answer right there. And as Bungy stated, there is no "bleed over"......the items mentioned are specifically wired by the manufacturer (G.D.) to be on at all times if the battery is hooked up. And believe me, it doesn't take more than a few weeks to drain a group 24 battery even if the disconnect switch is turned off. I would fair a little bit better as I have two Trojan T105 batteries in mine that provide approx. 225 AH of battery life......but they most likely wouldn't make it month or so.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    And without further ado, there ^^^^^ is your answer right there. And as Bungy stated, there is no "bleed over"......the items mentioned are specifically wired by the manufacturer (G.D.) to be on at all times if the battery is hooked up. And believe me, it doesn't take more than a few weeks to drain a group 24 battery even if the disconnect switch is turned off. I would fair a little bit better as I have two Trojan T105 batteries in mine that provide approx. 225 AH of battery life......but they most likely wouldn't make it month or so.
    Shhhh....makes sense. Thanks y'all!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Timmer, I'm with you 100% on the battery disconnect! I am also a new Grand Design owner & I do know by turning the battery disconnect in the off position nothing in the camper including the light in the storage bin where the battery is located will work. So I don't understand how any voltage will "bleed over" the switch. Thanks!
    Check a little deeper - I can't make a blanket statement, but for most GD trailers (and Jayco's, and some others I've read about), the power is still on for: Breakaway brakes, tongue jack (if a TT), CO/Propane/Smoke detectors, and usually the CD/DVD player (for the clock). While the first two may not be ever used, hence no draw, the others have a small amount they pull. In theory, you should be able to go months..but too many (myself included) have come back to a totally depleted/ruined battery. Turn the switch off, and put a ammeter in line with the battery to verify if there is still something pulling current and don't just assume.

As far as batteries freezing - if put away fully charged, they don't freeze until they get to about -74F. None of us here "up nort" would ever be able to drive in the winter if freezing was an issue! (Very, very discharged batteries can freeze at higher temps....so put it to bed fully charged, and unconnected).
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use the disconnect switch....It kills everything. When I turn it back on in the Spring, there is still power to run all of the lights. I do not attempt to use the slides until I charge up to full capacity.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly46 View Post
    I just use the disconnect switch....It kills everything. When I turn it back on in the Spring, there is still power to run all of the lights. I do not attempt to use the slides until I charge up to full capacity.
    Interesting........what trailer do you have?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reflection 315RLTS. I typically shut down in mid-October and starting prepping for the season in April.

Just to be clear, I shut off the battery isolator switch, not the main breaker panel.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Reflection 315RLTS. I typically shut down in mid-October and starting prepping for the season in April.

Just to be clear, I shut off the battery isolator switch, not the main breaker panel.
    Are you talking about the battery disconnect that was on the camper from the factory? I've never seen one of them shut off battery power completely.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
    Thanks, I'll just disconnect the battery cable......why doesn't the disconnect turn off charge to the battery & isolate power from the battery??
    Others have already explained this for you but FYI...

Our trailer was drawing a little over 0.5 amps with the battery "disconnect" switch off. The Group 27 batteries that the dealers - not Grand Design - install seem generally to be rated at about 70-80 amp/hours' capacity before reaching their lowest-recommended discharge level.

Simple math... the battery could be at that point within a week and certainly dead flat in two weeks. I unwittingly proved the theory the first year we had a trailer.

So just charge it fully and disconnect at least the negative cable before leaving your trailer.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have owned 2 315RLTS trailers. Neither of them were wired to disconnect all loads from the battery using the disconnect switch. When the '17 was in for repairs for 2 weeks I shut off the battery and it was stone cold flat when I picked it up. My current 2020 left most 12v circuits connected. A simple wiring change on both trailers turned the battery disconnect into a true disconnect. The only thing left connected is now the breakaway switch which uses no current until activated. When the battery is shut off I don't want the tongue jack to work nor the light on it. Sort of an extra security measure. It's easy to reconnect the battery.

I suspect what's connected to the battery when the disconnect is deployed depends on the "electrician" that hurriedly wired it at the factory.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast