User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    When I started this thread I was more miffed at having to send an email or leave a voice message just to find out if they had any sites available for the dates I was interested in.

Often I sit down and try to link a string of campground stays based on travel times between places I want to visit. My go-to lately for planning has been a combination of RV Trip Wizard and Campground Reviews. I usually look for highly rated campgrounds. But when those turn into a requirement for an email which, obviously, doesn't work when trying to make plans without delays or waiting days, or when I have to call only to get voice mail because a campground is "too busy" or the "office is closed" it is simply maddening.

Last week I called Sun Resorts (their "corporate line"), left a message and got a call 2 days later! 2 days! In this day of instant networking they take days to call back? Usually I just don't bother when they call or write back as I have found equal accommodations at another campground.
    I agree with everything you've said. It's how we make reservations as well and we've experienced the same frustrations with making them. I wished EVERYONE would just show me what's available on their map and for how much and just let me book it. Alas, they aren't all like that.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started this thread I was more miffed at having to send an email or leave a voice message just to find out if they had any sites available for the dates I was interested in.

Often I sit down and try to link a string of campground stays based on travel times between places I want to visit. My go-to lately for planning has been a combination of RV Trip Wizard and Campground Reviews. I usually look for highly rated campgrounds. But when those turn into a requirement for an email which, obviously, doesn't work when trying to make plans without delays or waiting days, or when I have to call only to get voice mail because a campground is "too busy" or the "office is closed" it is simply maddening.

Last week I called Sun Resorts (their "corporate line"), left a message and got a call 2 days later! 2 days! In this day of instant networking they take days to call back? Usually I just don't bother when they call or write back as I have found equal accommodations at another campground.
    Larry
    How far out are you planning?

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken,
    My last reservation in East Glacier starting August 23rd. yep - that far. Of course, Glacier NP on the East side is sparse and gets booked early. I also have about 9 or 10 days reserved on the West side. What surprised me there was all the campgrounds there were so full. But I found a place so thought I'd just hunker down for a while.

Most places we are staying from 4 days to 10 days. Lots of places get booked for weekends only and then are open. So that make it a challenge sometimes.

Our trip home from East Glacier to FL isn't planned. I hope to just sort of wing it thinking it is later in the travel season.

Heck - even trying to get a place in Lake Havasue in May was a bit trying - got "the last spot" at one of the campgrounds there. I should have reserved some State Parks months ago.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken,
    My last reservation in East Glacier starting August 23rd. yep - that far. Of course, Glacier NP on the East side is sparse and gets booked early. I also have about 9 or 10 days reserved on the West side. What surprised me there was all the campgrounds there were so full. But I found a place so thought I'd just hunker down for a while.

Most places we are staying from 4 days to 10 days. Lots of places get booked for weekends only and then are open. So that make it a challenge sometimes.

Our trip home from East Glacier to FL isn't planned. I hope to just sort of wing it thinking it is later in the travel season.

Heck - even trying to get a place in Lake Havasue in May was a bit trying - got "the last spot" at one of the campgrounds there. I should have reserved some State Parks months ago.
    Copy that.
    Glacier is a busy park.
    Even 10 years ago getting reservations at or near a NP was difficult. We "got the last spot" at both sides of Grand Canyon NP reserving 6 months out.

Here is a picture from Glacier NP in mid July 2015

And here is a boondock camp stop on the way there and back on ID 12 east of Lewiston, ID

Safe travels and prompt reservations, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're seeing nasty stuff in Michigan. The Department of Natural resources allows 6 month in advance reservations. But you can't wait til 6 months before the date you want, because people are booking a week earlier than they need, for the max 2 week stay, and then canceling the first week. That way they sneak in a week earlier in the 6 month window. Can be very frustrating esp if you actually wanted to get in a week ahead of the holiday/popular weeks. You're left with hoping to snag a cancelation. (be in the right place at the right time)
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trkester View Post
    We're seeing nasty stuff in Michigan. The Department of Natural resources allows 6 month in advance reservations. But you can't wait til 6 months before the date you want, because people are booking a week earlier than they need, for the max 2 week stay, and then canceling the first week. That way they sneak in a week earlier in the 6 month window. Can be very frustrating esp if you actually wanted to get in a week ahead of the holiday/popular weeks. You're left with hoping to snag a cancelation. (be in the right place at the right time)
    We're seeing something similar in Ontario. In January reservation for July and August We're up 100%. People a reserving like crazy as the cancelation charges are just a few dollars. Some are reserving a few consecutive weeks as they are unsure which weekend they want. And now the new scam, since almost everything is now almost booked, is they are turning around and scalping the sites for $350 / night and up when its regular between 40 and 60. This all started slowly last year and ramp this year.
    BTW we TRY and avoid sites that you have to email or leave a message for a reservation. It makes it almost impossible for us to plan. We usually only stay a few days at each site. The trip we have planned for this coming June we will be at 9 sites over 17 days.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya'll need to relax. Gas and diesel prices are rising so the idea of driving a vehicle that only gets 10 MPG will soon take toll on newbie campers. Private reservation systems will free up as spaces become available because of the increase in cancellations. The exception is fed campgrounds. They are not in the business of doing the right thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do we buy a Thousand Trails membership??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also have been planning a trip to Montana and Wyoming in July and August. Have all but a week booked. Have to watch the calendar for when reservations open Most national parks are a year out, state parks 3 or 4 months out. Have to remember that East Glacier just announce they are opening. Got a site at St Mary's KOA, she called me back the next day. Alot of places are still closed up there because of Winter weather conditions. Keep checking for cancellations also.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I realize I'm a little late to the party on this. We recently completed the eastbound leg of a cross country trip from AZ to FL. It was essentially a trip from Hell, though worked out ok in the end. We try to subscribe to the 2/2/2 travel method.

I had no problems getting in to an AZ state park outside of Tuscon, a HH winery (which I heartily recommend) in NM, and a couple of small parks in Texas. We seriously lucked out getting into the Malaquite campground at the Padre Island National Seashore. It's a FCFS dry camping area for those that can't/won't camp right on the beach. This is where it began to unravel, because I came down with the Covid while there. So a week turned into 11 days. We learned how long we can stretch water and holding capacity in our coach. Unfortunately, it wreaked havoc on our post Padre Island reservation, so we had to scramble.

Anyway, a KOA in Port Lavaca was very accommodating for us as we had to extend our stay there a few days to resolve some tech issues, but cost us some reservations we had in Louisiana and Florida. Harvest Host came to the rescue again in New Orleans. Had a terrific stay there.

We're moochdocking in Florida until 4/12, when we're heading back to AZ. I'm just now starting to plan the return trip, and it's looking bleak in terms of campground reservations along the route. I know I should have planned sooner, but the whole process has me rethinking our decision to full time. The glut of RVs on the road is taking all the fun out of it. As has been previously stated, gone are the days of deciding to go on a road trip, packing up, and taking off. Having to plan each day on a minimum 11 day trip is taking its toll. 22 days if we're firm on the 2/2/2. I just can't do the 8-10 hours a day towing the beast. So, I'll be sitting at my laptop, looking at each day's 200 mile (give or take) radius along the route, and then seeing what's in the area where we can spend the night.

Summer plans were going to involve June-Aug, hopefully extend from AZ to UT, ID, MT, WY, and possibly NV. We have to return to AZ every 120 days for medical reasons. Then it's back to Florida in Oct for a wedding, and the rest of the winter. It'll be an adventure, if nothing else.

/rant
    Chuck & Madelyn
    2021 M399th
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 MC DRW

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast