Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rv refrigerator power

We have as most have a gas/electric frig.

while traveling ,we know we can operate on gas , however can the frig... operated on the battery as we travel with the battery being recharged as we drive?

Camp ground OK with electricity or gas but what about as we drive on down the road?

Thanks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rv refrigerator power

No
    Fridges back in the day were 3 way but only 2 way now

You could hook the fridge up to an inverter but why bother
    When at the campground on shore power you would want to switch it over

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
    Can the fridge run on 12V with no gas? Most likely not, unless you have a model like NB Canada mentioned. Otherwise, the fridge needs both 12V (for the electronics and fans), plus the gas to cool it down. In that scenario you can run it on gas&battery and still charge the battery. The fridge will only draw a few amps, and if you have the 12V charging wire active on your 7-pin plug then you should be fine.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

while traveling ,we know we can operate on gas , however can the frig... operated on the battery as we travel with the battery being recharged as we drive? The recharge ability of your tow vehicle to charge the battery is minimal

Camp ground OK with electricity or gas but what about as we drive on down the road?

Thanks
    If you start the travel day with a fully charged battery single 12V you will likely have no issues. It really depends on how long your travel day is and do you have the ability to bring the battery back to full charge overnight if travelling multiple days. We have done 5 and 6 hour travel days on a single 12v battery without issue.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    however can the frig... operated on the battery as we travel with the battery being recharged as we drive?
    It would probably be helpful to know which trailer you have and which refrigerator you have but...

On the night before we change campsites, while I'm on shore power, I'll turn the refrigerator temperature to as cold as it will go (for my Norcold 2118 that would be "9"). Just before we leave the campsite, I'll turn the temp back to a "1" for the drive. It will stay cold enough during a 3 hour drive if you don't want to use gas. I have solar, 2 100Ah lithium batteries and a 2000w inverter. I just let the inverter continue to cool the refrigerator via electric if it needs to. After I arrive at the campsite I'll change the refrigerator setting back to normal, "4".

An alternative to a complete solar install would be to install a 12V DC to DC Charger between the truck and trailer. A 20amp one is only about $120, but you'll need to do some research on installing it. You will STILL need an inverter AND you'll have to figure out how to power the refrigerator circuit with the inverter. There are lots of posts on here about others who have done the install.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while traveling ,we know we can operate on gas , however can the frig... operated on the battery as we travel with the battery being recharged as we drive?

Thanks
    I strongly suggest you create a signature with the model of your rig. Mathis will help us help you. Not knowing your rig or fridge model you have make it impossible to answer accurately. If you have a regular tt fridge dual supply (electric or lp) then no. The electric part is 120v not 12v. If you have a model that came with a residential fridge the yes but ensure your battery bank is large enough as your TV doesn't supply enough charge to keep up with the fridge. Same applies with the models that are 12v only fridge in the newer models. You need a good battery bank.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I strongly suggest you create a signature with the model of your rig. Mathis will help us help you. Not knowing your rig or fridge model you have make it impossible to answer accurately. If you have a regular tt fridge dual supply (electric or lp) then no. The electric part is 120v not 12v. If you have a model that came with a residential fridge the yes but ensure your battery bank is large enough as your TV doesn't supply enough charge to keep up with the fridge. Same applies with the models that are 12v only fridge in the newer models. You need a good battery bank.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    He said in his post he has a “gas/electric fridge”

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    He said in his post he has a “gas/electric fridge”
    I think it's fair to ask whether he has an 8 cu ft Dometic or an 18 cu ft Norcold. They have different amp hour draw if he is trying to size a battery bank and an inverter.
    (Ordered 7/13/20) 2021 Solitude 310GK, FBP, DP, HP, Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes
    Built 9/9/20; To Paint 9/11/20 (5-6 weeks); Done Paint 10/1/20; MORryde axle upgrade 10/5/20; Done at MORryde and paid for 10/8/20; Arrived at Dealer 10/20/20; picked up 11/7/20