User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FidelisOne View Post
    Hindsight.. I would have loved to just buy a 1 ton truck. But I can't go back in time, and I really don't want to lose 10k and deal with the hassle if I can effectively tow safely.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    You would improve safety by a electric/hydraulic disc conversion more than a truck conversion. Sides that, the only way you'll know the true designed load specs is to get your hand on advanced technical specifications. The door sticker on a 3/4 ton is tweaked to allow towing commercial loads without a class A or B CDL (cgwr 26,001 w/10,000 lb trailer) The advanced technical specs will give you the designed dynamic "un-braked" load limits adjusted for a safety factor north of 1.25, likely closer to 1.5. Prior to the last few years, but probably true today, the OEM tires were designed to be the weak link. Like my cousin, who prior to 2015 was a chief engineer at GMC said, "keep the camper and anything else in the tires under their load limits and you'll be fine".

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdburgerjr View Post
    A curiosity question: I understand that for a TT, the tongue weight needs to be a certain percentage of trailer weight to reduce oscillation (sway). So, heavier TT means heavier TW. Or the other way, if TT is heavier, but you kept TW the same (loaded the back more), you’re creeping toward oscillation conditions. (And WDH “projects” the TW toward the steer axle, but that doesn’t change the sway factor.)

Does the same concern apply to 5ers? Does the hitch being at the rear axle mean it can’t sway and you could tinker with front/back loading more?

(Back when I first googled, I ran across an extensive “white paper” of sorts that went into every detail, almost at the complete physics level. I’m kicking myself for not saving it then. I recall it was on some hitch manufacturers website, but can’t find it again for the life of me. If someone happens to know what I’m talking about, I’d love to get it again.)
    Although not as prone to sway and other handling issues as travel trailers (which is why commercial tractor-trailers are a fifth-wheel setup), you don't want to get them too light on the pin. Between 20 and 25% of the total loaded weight of the trailer on the pin is optimal. Some folks will go lower without problems. The main issue with a fifth wheel like the Reflection 337 is that there are no rear storage options for large, heavy things (toy haulers are a different story). The basement, LP tanks, battery compartment, and bedroom closet are all right up front. Anything you load in the kitchen is basically over the axles (as is the fresh water tank), so there's not much to play around with.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2700 lbs payload for a diesel 3/4 is pretty good actually. Ford is uping their game. It used to be 1900 to 2200 or so.

I see a LOT of folks going over payload on a 250. Saw one with an enormous triple axle. While I believe there is a kernel of truth to the 250/350 similarity, and would not advocate for busting payload, I would think it is better than blowing out a half ton, which we see people doing all the time.

I fly for a living, used to be a company check airman, and always told the captains “Every action you do, picture yourself on the witness stand explaining it to the plaintiffs lawyer or prosecutor.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks grassmaster.. this helps me a ton.

I know my truck will tow it safely with a light load, maybe even with a heavy load. This is a good reminder of the strong opinions of people and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm looking into hitches, I'll take a look at the Anderson. Hitch weight savings is going to make a big difference. I've thought about doing a B&W turnover ball hitch, and also doing a Reese gooseneck pin box. I think that would be the lightest hitch setup? I'll take a look at the Anderson also for sure!

I've never used the Andersen hitch, but it is a lighter hitch for sure, and doesn't require the replacement of your pin box. Many folks that have them like them.

With that said, the Reese Goosebox is a full pin box replacement, and weighs more than most pin boxes. The combo of the Goosebox plus the ball (& chains) is lighter than most traditional pin box and 5th wheel hitch setups.
    I went with the Goosebox primarily due to bed space, and I didn't want to store a hitch (Andersen). Yes, the Andersen is easy to remove.
    The Goosebox has towed well for me; I'd buy it again!

Enough folks have chimed in about their weight opinions; so I'll leave that topic alone.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good news is, if you opt to go to a one ton you'll likely get what you paid for your 3/4 ton. That assumes that you can find what you're looking for. We realized we had to switch to a one ton diesel and when we finally found one a couple of hundred miles away they gave us a trade-in value roughly equal to what we'd paid for our old truck three years ago. Dealers are desperate for inventory right now. When we were shopping around they were offering to buy ours even if we didn't buy from them.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SLOMByrd View Post
    The good news is, if you opt to go to a one ton you'll likely get what you paid for your 3/4 ton. That assumes that you can find what you're looking for. We realized we had to switch to a one ton diesel and when we finally found one a couple of hundred miles away they gave us a trade-in value roughly equal to what we'd paid for our old truck three years ago. Dealers are desperate for inventory right now. When we were shopping around they were offering to buy ours even if we didn't buy from them.
    My dealer would love to have mine as well
    I got over 12000 off my truck when I bought it in 2018
    The discounts now are 1000 if lucky

You might have gotten a lot for the trade but you paid more for the new one as well

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed I did. A real estate investor client told me many years ago, "I don't care if I'm buying in a sellers market or selling in a buyers market, I,just,want to be selling and buying in the same market." When all was done we ended up in about the same financial place we had been before the purchase. Now,we have another related problem but that's a different story.��

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tremors (F250 and F350) do indeed share the same leaf pack as a standard F350.

Follow this link and read where it says F350 has to be stiffer right?

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/200...r-first-drive/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GM abandoned the 10k gross limit between 2500/3500. I wish Ford and Ram would follow suit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks grassmaster.. this helps me a ton.

I know my truck will tow it safely with a light load, maybe even with a heavy load. This is a good reminder of the strong opinions of people and they should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm looking into hitches, I'll take a look at the Anderson. Hitch weight savings is going to make a big difference. I've thought about doing a B&W turnover ball hitch, and also doing a Reese gooseneck pin box. I think that would be the lightest hitch setup? I'll take a look at the Anderson also for sure!

I'll save you some homework. You would need to install a turn over ball like a B&W or Curt Double Lock ( my choice ) that sits on the frame under the bed. The weight of the Ball and Andersen is 75#.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast