User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water regulator even if CG pressure low?

I’m second guessing myself on this.

If I measure the CG water pressure before hook up and it’s 55 or lower, I leave the regulator off to feel like I have maximum flow.

Over 55, and I put the regulator on.

I wouldn’t imagine CG pressure would fluctuate substantially, but maybe I’m wrong.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

On a related question,I have the Valterra adjustable regulator. Turning the screw doesn’t work like I’d expect; the meter doesn’t always “behave”. Is the proper way to adjust it turning the pressure down with the screw first, then open the water valve, then turn the screw “up” until the meter rises to where you want it? I’d think you can add pressure, but can’t take it away with only the screw adjustment.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether or not the regulator affects the flow depends on the quality of the regulator. I leave mine on all the time as you never know about park water supplies. Some are on nearby city water and some have their own wells. In either case, it can fluctuate.

When you adjust the regulator, you need to open and close a water valve (I use the outside shower) each time to let the system, and thus the gauge, equalize to the new pressure setting. This is especially true if lowering your pressure setting. The pressure will remain in the line until it is released and will show the higher pressure.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, water pressure could fluctuate substantially if on a well system... All depends upon the age and design, and I have been to more than one campground where water pressure drops to 30-35 psi and then climbs up to north of 70 psi - clear sign of no of failed reserve/accumulator system and line pressure is "seeing" pump cycling directly.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Whether or not the regulator affects the flow depends on the quality of the regulator.
    Any opinions on good ones or avoidable ones?

I bought a new Camco “high flow” regulator for the “new” RV that promised to limit pressure only if over 55. It went about 4 weekend trips and then stopped up. I couldn’t see any reason in it, no debris, etc. I returned it and upgraded to the adjustable.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdburgerjr View Post
    Any opinions on good ones or avoidable ones?

I bought a new Camco “high flow” regulator for the “new” RV that promised to limit pressure only if over 55. It went about 4 weekend trips and then stopped up. I couldn’t see any reason in it, no debris, etc. I returned it and upgraded to the adjustable.
    The only really high quality adjustable regulators are $150 and up - but they are rebuildable. You can read about them and check prices here:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/a...ble-regulators

I've had to replace my cheaper adjustable regulators about three times in six years... probably could have paid for one of the better ones by now. The best fixed-pressure regulator I know of is this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(The regulator in the second link is actually sold through Amazon by the business in the first link.)

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-26-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not see the rebuildable ones that Rob mentioned - next time I replace ours I may look at that!
    As far as putting it on - I always do. We stayed at one campground where the pressure would fluctuate between 1 PSI and 90 PSI several times throughout the day. Granted that was one campground out of the hundreds we've stayed at, but I also have not paid much attention to the others. I just put the regulator on and not worry about it.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS