User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you buy an extended warranty? Should I?

We are excited to be taking delivery of our new Imagine XLS 23bhe later this week. We just got an email from the finance person about extended warranties (see below). I have never purchased an extended warranty on a vehicle before, and not sure if they are worth it on a TT.

Any advice on what is outlined below and if anyone has purchased a similar plan for their TT and believe it was worth the money.

Extended service agreement ( ESA) see attached brochure ( RETAIL $7,495.00.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $3,625.00)
    1. Exclusionary that covers repairs to the RV for 5 years due to failed parts that water, electricity or a fossil fuel moves through ( 100 deductible anywhere in the US and Canada or $50 at Mike Thompson Rv)
    2. Will pay up to $125.00 for a mobile tech to do the repair on site
    3. No preferred dealer to go to, you get to pick where to go
    4. Is transferable and only you can cancel the coverage.

Tire and rim ( repair or replacement )NSD see attached brochure (RETAIL $1,000.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $560.00
    1. 7 years of Repairs or replaces whatever tires and rims are on the RV due to any road hazard that causes the damage or loss of air
    2. Covers 100% of the cost

Exterior / interior protective coating for 7 years ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $5,995 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUN$2,134.00
    1. Protects the exterior from the environment
    2. Protects the interior from accidental spills of anything but acid
    3. Protects your resell value
    4. Protects the exterior from fading and build up until you can wash it.
    5. Repairs interior rips up to 6” , burns up to size of a quarter and punchers.

Gps tracking / theft deterrent is life time ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $2,495 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $1,285.00
    1. Monitor the location of your RV anytime and battery level
    2. Can recover the theft of your RV within 26 minutes ( if settings is activated )
    3. Tracks trips, speeds and is good for the life with no additional monthly fees
    4. Another way to identify they RV if stolen and recovery tracking is not active

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t normally consider ESAs unless they come in enough under a percentage of the purchase cost to be “interesting”. For example, my used Toyota purchase had an ESA price that was cheap enough to get just on principle. It more than paid for itself.

My recent used Imagine purchase was the same way. My Exclusionary coverage for 7 years was $1962. Your numbers are high enough that I wouldn’t be interested.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdburgerjr View Post
    I don’t normally consider ESAs unless they come in enough under a percentage of the purchase cost to be “interesting”. For example, my used Toyota purchase had an ESA price that was cheap enough to get just on principle. It more than paid for itself.

My recent used Imagine purchase was the same way. My Exclusionary coverage for 7 years was $1962. Your numbers are high enough that I wouldn’t be interested.
    Appreciate you sharing.

What percentage are referring to? Less than 5%, 3%, 1%?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    What percentage are referring to? Less than 5%, 3%, 1%?
    I don’t have a set limit. 10% (I’ve seen that), instant no. 3% pretty much a yes. Anywhere in between is mix of judgement, fear, emotion, and all that about my purchase.

It also depends on if the ESA looks like it tries to actually cover things, or if there are silly loopholes that give them an out.

Lifetime Warranty. Guaranteed for the life of the product….

ETA:
    I saw one person write that he divides the ESA cost into years of coverage to compare with the purchase price. (Easier to evaluate if it’s a simple gadget warrant that replaces on failure. I recognize the vehicles and RVs aren’t like that). 1/50th of purchase price per year is like a bet that the mean time to failure is 50 years. OTOH, 1/4th the price is like betting it will fail in 4 years. That might be their statement on the reliability of the gadget. That write up influenced my ESA attitude ever since.
    Last edited by Cdburgerjr; 06-28-2021 at 10:08 PM.
    Douglas & Christine
    2019 Ford F-250 XLT 6.2L V8 Fx4 Crew Cab short-bed
    2021 Imagine 2600RB, Build 5/2020
    Equal-i-zer 4-Point Sway Control™, 10000/1000 bars; Ford brake controller; LevelMatePRO+®
    Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure LT275/70R18 (E)
    Westlake Super ST Load Range E 10 p.r.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are excited to be taking delivery of our new Imagine XLS 23bhe later this week. We just got an email from the finance person about extended warranties (see below). I have never purchased an extended warranty on a vehicle before, and not sure if they are worth it on a TT.

Any advice on what is outlined below and if anyone has purchased a similar plan for their TT and believe it was worth the money.

Extended service agreement ( ESA) see attached brochure ( RETAIL $7,495.00.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $3,625.00)
    1. Exclusionary that covers repairs to the RV for 5 years due to failed parts that water, electricity or a fossil fuel moves through ( 100 deductible anywhere in the US and Canada or $50 at Mike Thompson Rv)

Tire and rim ( repair or replacement )NSD see attached brochure (RETAIL $1,000.00 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $560.00
    1. 7 years of Repairs or replaces whatever tires and rims are on the RV due to any road hazard that causes the damage or loss of air

Exterior / interior protective coating for 7 years ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $5,995 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUN$2,134.00

Gps tracking / theft deterrent is life time ( see brochure attached) (RETAIL $2,495 YOUR PRICE AFTER DISCOUNT $1,285.00
    2. Can recover the theft of your RV within 26 minutes ( if settings is activated )
    3. Tracks trips, speeds and is good for the life with no additional monthly fees
    4. Another way to identify they RV if stolen and recovery tracking is not active

Just the "price discounts" on all these items should be sending up red flags about what their worth and the gimmicks used to get people to buy ESAs.

I don't buy ESAs except for my smartphone because when I drop it and it breaks I can't fix it.

If you're half way handy you can fix most things yourself. The standard warranty will get you through all the early life failures. After than what you send is most likely to much less than the cost of an ESA; and getting someone to repair something will likely be quicker and less of a hassle.

I've never heard of a rim ESA. And in 30+ years of RVing (including a few blowouts and flats) I have NEVER heard of a bad rim. For tires EMS, wait until you replace your tires and get coverage from Discount Tire or Big-O or a national company (along with free rotations) - on you tow vehicle and your RV.

Exterior and interior protection? Over $2,000???!!!!! Yowzers! RUN AWAY! I get my rig washed and wax by hand twice a year for about $315 each time. And whatever exterior protection they are offering, short of a few professional coats of automotive clear seal won't keep you rig looking good.

Save your money. Spend it when you have to. Heck - you may not even own the rig for 7 years.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be interested in what the small print says on these. Most will have something about a required inspection every year ($$$, and they will find something to fix at a cost). If it is not a factory warranty, it is an insurance policy that will have a lot of exclusions, so be careful. You can take that money and put it aside for any repairs that you may not be able to do, and most likely will be money ahead.

I just looked up GPS trackers for trailers, and found a number of them for under $200, and no service fee for several years. There are a couple well under $100 also. The claim of recovery, is only after you discover that the trailer is missing, so not checking it for a week, it will be gone for a week, unless they have some geo fencing system where you tell them it should not move until you call them.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several threads about this. When I was researching earlier this year, the general opinion of all the full timers and experienced RVers is no, it's not worth it.
    If you have it, take that money and put it in the bank for your own warranty coverage. As said above, most of the big items that might break in the first few years are covered under the standard warranty. Think of it like gambling; the house always wins.

My one caveat is I did purchase the internal/eternal sealant - that feels like a worthwhile investment to me but the other items are more of a gimmick than helpful. Don't fall for the "everyone else is doing it" BS.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    There are several threads about this. When I was researching earlier this year, the general opinion of all the full timers and experienced RVers is no, it's not worth it.
    If you have it, take that money and put it in the bank for your own warranty coverage. As said above, most of the big items that might break in the first few years are covered under the standard warranty. Think of it like gambling; the house always wins.

My one caveat is I did purchase the internal/eternal sealant - that feels like a worthwhile investment to me but the other items are more of a gimmick than helpful. Don't fall for the "everyone else is doing it" BS.
    I am glad this topic came up. I am picking up a new 311BHS tomorrow.
    I never thought about the Contracts when I purchased my 29 RS, I spent 2,000.00 on brakes and a black tank removal for a new valve.
    Because of the new tankless hot water heater and another slide I really was concerned about not having extended warranty.
    After looking at the numbers I won’t purchase one.
    I will put the 2,990.00 away, and roll the dice.
    My quotes were:
    NAC vehicle service contract $2,990.00
    Paint fabric $1,695.00
    Coach Net $895.00
    Multi seal for tires $795.00

Thanks for the discussion
    Will change my signature soon!
    Paul
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you buy an extended warranty? Should I?

Thank you all. Exactly what I was thinking. These always seem “to good to be true” in what they cover and likely will end up costing me money down the road as well( on top of what they want me to pay for the warranty). Rather set my money aside in a rainy day fund when something does happen (it will) and bet that I will still be ahead.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just one data point - my trailer is a 2017 model. Since the beginning, the only thing I have had to fix that would have been covered by an ESA would be two leveling jacks, damaged due to a really bad campsite. Out of pocket was $120 for far better ones that would have been used as replacements. Sure, I've spent a LOT more, and it has been in for service a number of times. But it was all either warranty work, upgrades, recalls, or normal maintenance. None of which would have been covered. Note that some ESA's have VERY strict service/inspection schedules required, at the selling dealer. Another money maker for them.

Coatings? Can't bad mouth them - but mine never got one, and I am one of those bad people that hardly ever wax mine. Yet after 5 years, a basic wash still has it looking like new. Florida or Texas sun might be another matter, though.....

Coach-Net - Yikes! I have 3 yrs of Basic coverage, for a total of $219. Premium coverage for a towable is $429, for 3 years. My original "subscription" was a freebie from the dealer many years ago, and I just transferred it to the current trailer. Used them once (just this year), and was very pleased with the road side service. They were diligent in working to make sure I was taken care of. Sounds like the dealer is also making money off of something you can get directly cheaper!

If you want any of these add-on items, they generally can be negotiated way down. Harder to do during these times, since there is less threat to the dealer that you will just walk away, if it comes to it.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast