User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20-21 Chevy/GMC TPMS integration question

This is a very specific model & mod question:

Any '20 or '21 model Chevy-GMC owners out there with the Trailer package to include the integrated truck computer/app for towing:

For our 310 GK, the stock wheels are from a company called Lionshead - www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com
    One can purchase 4 extra internal TPMS monitors from Chevy and add those to the dashboard system for real-time monitoring. These are internally mounted so you need to take the wheels to a tire service place to have the tires removed, valve stems replaced, and everything remounted. Just a few hoops to jump through, but the upside is no external TPMS transmitters screwing up your valve stems.

My brother, who has a '20 GMC Denali and a Forest River 5th'er, bought the 4x TPMS monitors only to discover the valve stem hole on his stock wheels are just a hair different in size than the TPMS stem system, so he's SOL and either needs to buy new wheels or return the TPMS transmitters and go with aftermarket stem-mounted.

So here's the question: Has anyone here added the Chevy/GMC factory TPMS monitors to your rig tires? If yes, did you experience any issues with size matching? I know I need to call both Chevy and Lionshead, but figured I'd ask the question here first if anyone has tried to tackle this upgrade yet.

If no, I might be the guinea pig!

-Colin
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin - glad you brought this up. We are getting ready to order our new 2021 GM (Chevy or GMC) in a few weeks and I will be interested to follow this thread. I have heard of the Lions Head wheels valve stem size issue being brought up a few times over the years on this forum. I do not recall the resolution to this but maybe someone else who has dealt with it as you asked will hopefully chime in.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post

Any '20 or '21 model Chevy-GMC owners out there with the Trailer package to include the integrated truck computer/app for towing:

For our 310 GK, the stock wheels are from a company called Lionshead - www.lionsheadtireandwheel.com
    One can purchase 4 extra internal TPMS monitors from Chevy and add those to the dashboard system for real-time monitoring. These are internally mounted so you need to take the wheels to a tire service place to have the tires removed, valve stems replaced, and everything remounted. Just a few hoops to jump through, but the upside is no external TPMS transmitters screwing up your valve stems.

My brother, who has a '20 GMC Denali and a Forest River 5th'er, bought the 4x TPMS monitors only to discover the valve stem hole on his stock wheels are just a hair different in size than the TPMS stem system, so he's SOL and either needs to buy new wheels or return the TPMS transmitters and go with aftermarket stem-mounted.

So here's the question: Has anyone here added the Chevy/GMC factory TPMS monitors to your rig tires? If yes, did you experience any issues with size matching? I know I need to call both Chevy and Lionshead, but figured I'd ask the question here first if anyone has tried to tackle this upgrade yet.

-Colin
    Be aware that I believe the max pressure that the GM sensors will read is 99 PSI. Also the max range is only about 20 - 30' from the rear bumper of the TV.
    The axles on our 374TH are too far back and we run our tires at 110 PSI.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Colin
    This may or may not help you. I have the 2020 Silverado 3500 High Country dually. It of course came with TPMS and extras for a trailer. After considering installing the GM provided TPMS sensors on my RV or go "separate system" I went separate TST TPMS. I really like the separate system TST. I can monitor tire temp and pressure sitting in my truck or in my RV. It has the advance warning feature. The sensors fit perfectly on my valve stems and stay tight. So far I've not had a tire problem. I hope the TST System is money spent I'll never need! Benny
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop56 View Post
    This may or may not help you. I have the 2020 Silverado 3500 High Country dually. It of course came with TPMS and extras for a trailer. After considering installing the GM provided TPMS sensors on my RV or go "separate system" I went separate TST TPMS. I really like the separate system TST. I can monitor tire temp and pressure sitting in my truck or in my RV. It has the advance warning feature. The sensors fit perfectly on my valve stems and stay tight. So far I've not had a tire problem. I hope the TST System is money spent I'll never need! Benny
    That is probably the easier way to go. Did you switch out the valve stems to steel? I think mine might already be steel, but need to check next week when we pick up the rig.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is probably the easier way to go. Did you switch out the valve stems to steel? I think mine might already be steel, but need to check next week when we pick up the rig.
    I used the valve stems that came with the RV. They were steel if memory serves me right. The tires are Westlakes ST 235/80 R 16 G Rated. Be prepared with a TPMS to see how much tire pressures and temps vary somewhat during the day sitting or especially driving. The sun, road friction heat etc all play a part.
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK - FB Paint, 300W Solar, Onan 5500 Gen, DP Windows, Samsung R-Frig, Splendide Stacked W/D.
    Tow Vehicle: 2020 3500 Silverado, DRW, HC Pkg., D-Max 6.6L Diesel, 10 Spd. Allison Trans.
    Hitch: Andersen 3220 Ult 2 With Safety Chain Package.
    Satellite: Winegard Pathway X2/Wally Rec. RV Tow Camera Rear: Furrion Sharkfin 7" Monitor.
    Autoformer/Surge Protect: Hughes 50 AMP

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Colin
    Dont have solitude, so I can't comment what valve stem size yours might have. I was never able to confirm actual size on our Reflection so figured they would be the bigger size and bought some modified stems (now for sale) from this company. Took both sets of stems with sensors to my tire shop didnt need to use modified stems and was able to use stock oem valve stems/sensors for our trailer.

See if your brother knows if has a 0.625 stem hole and may save a few bucks buying my modified stems for sale over new rims.

Our tires are at 80psi max and our axle is ~25ft behind bumper, towed ours 360mi round trip last week without any issues and nice to see the pressures and temps on the trailer screen. Will be selling Tirelinc system that came with our reflection once I pull the signal booster from the onboard control panel this weekend.

Have also read about 99psi max with GM oem system and staying within 30ft of rear bumper for range (dont know anybody with my specific truck running oem sensors so only items I have also seen when doing research to use oem tpms)
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynn1427 View Post
    Dont have solitude, so I can't comment what valve stem size yours might have. I was never able to confirm actual size on our Reflection so figured they would be the bigger size and bought some modified stems (now for sale) from this company. Took both sets of stems with sensors to my tire shop didnt need to use modified stems and was able to use stock oem valve stems/sensors for our trailer.

See if your brother knows if has a 0.625 stem hole and may save a few bucks buying my modified stems for sale over new rims.

Our tires are at 80psi max and our axle is ~25ft behind bumper, towed ours 360mi round trip last week without any issues and nice to see the pressures and temps on the trailer screen. Will be selling Tirelinc system that came with our reflection once I pull the signal booster from the onboard control panel this weekend.

Have also read about 99psi max with GM oem system and staying within 30ft of rear bumper for range (dont know anybody with my specific truck running oem sensors so only items I have also seen when doing research to use oem tpms)
    Thank you, will ask my brother if he knows.
    Also, max range on the Chevy OEM parts is important.
    The new Cooper H rated tires run at a whopping 125psi, which renders the OEM question moot if they max at 99 luftballons.
    Haha, 80s music joke.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Colin
    What I have found is the monitors that GM has will not fit the Rams to different diameters of stems MGM has a specific sending unit, but their stands are for standard Rams and small your Rams on your trailer. I think .624 in the stands that come with the truck or that you can buy extra are for .425 something like that. I haven't found anybody who can convert the GM sending units to the bigger Stem